Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Drugs Nutmeg is a drug in real life

NawtyFish

[WEG0TPAID]

Level 21 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

pOOpey Posted:

Nutmeg a drug? That’s just nuts!

i c wut u did thar

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Seriously, folks, if you’re that bored, go to your local public library and check out a ****ing book…

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

finale Posted:

Seriously, folks, if you’re that bored, go to your local public library and check out a ****ing book…

i would but books contain dangerous mind-altering information.

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

finale Posted:

who exactly are you talking to? anyone who’s desperate enough to try nutmeg? if so i agree.

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Well, honestly I find all drug use pretty dumb, but that’s really more a topic for NO SRSLY…

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

finale Posted:

Well, honestly I find all drug use pretty dumb, but that’s really more a topic for NO SRSLY…

no please, tell us your reasoning.

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Aw, jeez, I already know this is gonna be fun…

+5 WALL OF TEXT ACTIVATE

OK, general arguments against drug use can be done in a bunch of different ways. Note that these don’t necessarily apply only to illegal substances, and can often be extended/generalized to a broader set of activities…

1. Let’s make up a drug that has no negative physiological side effects, just triggers the pleasure center, and doesn’t cause neurological addiction. Let’s call it Smileprin. This is the hypothetical, much trumpeted “Harmless high”. Would this be bad? A couple arguments for yes-

a. Researchers hooked up rats and mice with an electrode that directly triggers the pleasure center in the brain(I’ll find the reference later- I forget where the center is located, but it’s the generalized one, bumociated with dopamine release, if memory serves). The electrode was hooked up to a little lever, which the rats/mice could press to trigger the stimulation. At the end of the study, all the subjects had died of starvation, after doing nothing but pressing the lever 1000s of times an hour. It’s not a perfect analogy, but neurologically, there’s not really a known difference in the mechanisms involved between mice and humans. Arguably, the harmless high would be in this sense worse than drugs that have a withdrawal or other effects.

b. Those using Smileprin would not be doing other things. If you subscribe to any sort of ethical process that is not purely individualistic(what’s good for the individual actor is most important, i.e. Ayn Rand stuff) or rules-moralist(obeying rules is more important than consequences, LibertarianismLog in to see images! can be seen as one example of this area of thinking), you’re going to have to work pretty hard to make it a postitive thing in a consequentialist structure to do drugs(“toke this or I kill these children” might work).

Those are arguments against doing things that just make you feel good- technically, I think they would also work against masturbation and such, but I’d argue as a consequentialist that drugs, in reality, usually have more negative consequences for their use, particularly if you include the effects of social reflexivity. In the case of any specific drug, there are additional negative side effects which would increase the negative moral aspect of using the drug. To take the two popular choices, Pot’s carcinogenic(it is, dammit) and alcohol use has all kinds of negative mental/physical effects in the long run. In my view, neither of these are as important as the fact that reasoning is impaired while under the influence of a drug- this limits the individual’s ability to make rational(or at least more rational) decisions.

In my view, the idea of becoming irrational to feel good seems like a bizzare, and in a utilitarian system, immoral, tradeoff.

But hey, not trying to outlaw anything here, these are just my opinions, not gonna flame folks. The nutmeg thing just got to me a bit. God, people will try ANYTHING…

SuperHappyFu-
nKitty

Avatar: 26050 Sat Oct 18 22:48:59 -0400 2008

[ONE HUNDRED PERCEN-
T ACTION KLAN
]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I used to drink entire bottles of Robotussin Maximum Strength (or RoboMax for those who belong to the club). That was some fun times. I was Robotrippin hard. Some people call it “the Tussin” now which I think is stupid, but they took RoboMax off the shelves, so I guess kids these days can’t handle the good stuff. Oh well, at least there are the memories. I miss those days.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

finale Posted:

words

You’re a straight-edge dude, i can respect that. A couple problems I have:

1. The example with rats is very interesting, but I think largely irrelevant in this thread. Perhaps this would be the case with an opiate or arguably amphetamines, which are more ‘chemical pleasure’, but this thread is pretty much exclusively about psychedelic drugs, which are hardly that. It’s not simply a magic bumon or pill that makes you feel good, it’s a much more abstract state that people enjoy for the altered perspective. True, there is euphoria involved, but that’s just one facet of the larger experience.

b) Again, people doing smileprin are not doing anything else, but again that would only be a good analogy to someone shooting up and nodding out. People on a psychedelic trip don’t do nothing, they socialize with friends, go outside, watch a movie, read a book, listen to music. I would also argue that a rational person can properly balance his life to include occasional drug use, but also everything else that a non-user would do in life.

2. You suggested reading a book earlier. During the several hours you read a book/watch a movie or whatever, you don’t have to make any rational decisions, you’re just reading. I’ll agree that if you do drugs before you’re going to have to be making important decisions is a dumb thing to do, that’s why you set aside several hours of free time to do something. As for health risks, all i can really answer to that is that different people have a different tolerance to risk. It’s a matter of cost-benefit, and i personally believe that the personal benefits and experiences of certain drugs are well worth the risk involved (this of course depends on the substance, for example DXM is far more harmful than mushrooms, which are practically harmless if taken responsibly.)

Also note that i think that ideally, a person should do mushrooms/acid very infrequently, like, at most once a year. Frequent use is just masturbatory and really amounts to just pushing that bumon again and again. I would also mention that if you have never listened to music while tripping, your life is not as complete as someone who has.

p.s. you can make food out of weed. Poof, no more carcinogenic!

BirdofPrey edited this message on 03/30/2008 1:57PM

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

finale Posted:

lots of words

not everyone who uses drugs is using them to the point that it becomes the only thing they think about, the only thing they want. there is a middle ground that a lot of people fall into. most of the time i’m stone-sober, but occasionally i like to drink or do some other drug to alter my perception for a little fun.

there’s an old moto that i strongly believe in: “everything in moderation”, which i interpret to include excess. like, it’s alright to get completely wasted every once in a while as long as it’s not a regular thing.

and there’s a fundamental difference between humans and mice: free will. i stopped smoking pot because even though it was enjoyable, it was creating an illusion of happiness for me and i didn’t want to be reliant on it for my happiness.

also, not all drugs make you irrational, some speed up the thought process. which is why cocaine is the drug of choice of lawyers, etc.

i think you have a lot of misperceptions about drugs since i’m bumuming you’ve never tried them at all. pot was a lot different than i thought it would be, as were shrooms and acid. and i never viewed them as something necessarily good or bad.

you’re right, the nutmeg thing is ridiculous. i had heard it years ago, and while true, i’d never eat the quantity of nutmeg you’d need to feel high. it’s kind of stupid to do so in my opinion. basically not worth it for me.

Everybodyknows edited this message on 03/30/2008 2:57PM

Vince Russo

[WeChall]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

BirdofPrey Posted:

Also note that i think that ideally, a person should do mushrooms/acid very infrequently, like, at most once a year. Frequent use is just masturbatory and really amounts to just pushing that bumon again and again. I would also mention that if you have never listened to music while tripping, your life is not as complete as someone who has.

You’re entire post was serious 3pic win Prey.

Speaking as a purveyor and connoisseur of the lysergic tastes in life, I too have found it to not only be a completely wonderful experience but as scientific studies have proved on multiple occasions, those under the influence of psycho-active drugs are prone to alter their everyday thinking, for the better might I add.

While its been years since Ive actually tuned in, turned on, and dropped out, I still find myself having a “mushroom slice” of pizza every once in a while. Acid’s biggest reflux is what it does to the spine due to the chemicals (that and its a smaller dose of cyanide by property not even including what its “cut” with).

However when talking about natural psychedelic inducing drugs like peyote and mushrooms and opium (to lesser extents) I really have to question what is the harm in the drug?

There are obvious arguments like “please don’t drive your car at 90 mph on the freeway while tripping on 2 bumons and an eighth”, but then again the people that would do that aren’t sensible or responsible to begin with.

Native Americans have been using “said” drugs for hundreds of years. They used them to help clear their mind and alter their point of thinking in order to discover new ideas and progress as a tribe.

I really don’t buy into all of this “straight edge” garbage. I’m sorry but I can’t. I don’t buy that someone is “better” than me because they choose not to partake in life experiences. IMO that makes you worse off than me… and a bit of a woman's genitals. (no-homo)

But I am only talking about the casual user. Obviously anyone that abuses any substance food, coffee, beer, rectal thrusting… they’re obviously going to suffer from some sort of repercussion.

Turn On

Tune In

&

Drop Out.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Actually, i’m fairly sure acid has no effect whatsoever on the spine. No cyanide either, though that might apply somewhat to LSA (i.e. morning glory seeds).

Vince Russo

[WeChall]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

BirdofPrey Posted:

Actually, i’m fairly sure acid has no effect whatsoever on the spine. No cyanide either, though that might apply somewhat to LSA (i.e. morning glory seeds).

Trust me from personal experience it has effects on the spine.

As for the cyanide thing? I’m not 100% on that one. Thats one of those “myths”, aka.

xXx_Cutter_o-
f_Dreams_xXx

Level 9 Emo Kid

“Scene Kid”

But I’ve done it, I never felt more depressed in my life, I would reccomend it to everyone, so they can see life through the perspective of truth: Sadness.

Vince Russo

[WeChall]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

xXx_Cutter_of_Dreams_xXx Posted:

But I’ve done it, I never felt more depressed in my life, I would reccomend it to everyone, so they can see life through the perspective of truth: Sadness.

mammary glands OR GTFO

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

xXx_Cutter_of_Dreams_xXx Posted:

of course you felt sad, you’re an emo! fluffy bunnies make you sad!

trips are largely based on both your mindset and the setting you’re in. if you’re sad when you take acid/shrooms/whatever, you’re going to feel about 100 times worse.

BirdofPrey

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Vince Russo Posted:

Trust me from personal experience it has effects on the spine.

could you elaborate on this personal experience? Everything i have ever read about LSD contradicts it having any negative effect on the spine. The only possible negative long-term effects i know of is HPPD, which is generally the result of very frequent use or a very high dose. (HPPD is a possibility with mushrooms too, by the way.)

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

...um, I’m not straightedge, I just don’t do that ****.

BirdofPrey made some good points(particularly #1 and b), but then Mr. Russo had to go and dump all over it with appeals to “life experience” and such. A good or valid argument is good or valid regardless of who makes it, or what their experience is. C’mon, “It’s natural”? “Native Americans did it so it can’t be bad”?

You’re going to have trouble finding folks who do better on an IQ test while high on just about anything, with the possible exception of those with other longstanding psych issues. You’ll have a great difficulty giving a rational account of better thinking for someone whose dopamine and seratonin systems are out of whack.

—Y’know what? screw it. Reading through Vince Russo’s post reminds me why I didn’t want to discuss this in the first place. I’ll fix the reference in my first post and leave things as they are.

finale edited this message on 03/30/2008 4:27PM

NawtyFish

[WEG0TPAID]

Level 21 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

latester Posted:

I used to drink entire bottles of Robotussin Maximum Strength (or RoboMax for those who belong to the club). That was some fun times. I was Robotrippin hard. Some people call it “the Tussin” now which I think is stupid, but they took RoboMax off the shelves, so I guess kids these days can’t handle the good stuff. Oh well, at least there are the memories. I miss those days.

I think they still have Max Strength Tussin, it’s just OTC now because of people abusing it.

And acid does wind up leaving residue in the base of your spine, although aside from flashbacks I don’t think it really does anything.

Pretty much every HWBR or Morning Glory seed you get without going wholesale in America is coated in cyanide to “keep animals from eating them.”

SRSLY THOUGH, Vince is right about the whole “life experience” thing. Ultimately, it’s not the way you word things, or what infallible rhetorical arguments you can post on teh intarwebs, but what you’ve been through that matters when it’s all over.

NawtyFish edited this message on 03/30/2008 4:35PM

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

NawtyFish Posted:

think they still have Max Strength Tussin, it’s just OTC now because of people abusing it.

And acid does wind up leaving residue in the base of your spine, although aside from flashbacks I don’t think it really does anything.

Pretty much every HWBR or Morning Glory seed you get without going wholesale in America is coated in cyanide to “keep animals from eating them.”

SRSLY THOUGH, Vince is right about the whole “life experience” thing. Ultimately, it’s not the way you word things, or what infallible rhetorical arguments you can post on teh intarwebs, but what you’ve been through that matters when it’s all over.

it’s not cyanide, it’s a fungicide called captan. it’s supposed to keep fungus from killing the seeds, but it also serves to keep people from eating them due to the fact that it can cause nausea and vomiting. and by OTC, i think you mean behind-the-counter since any medicine/drug you can buy without a prescription is OTC, just some are on the shelves and some are behind the pharmacist’s counter and have to be asked for.

other than that, you’re spot-on.

BirdofPrey Posted:

could you elaborate on this personal experience? Everything i have ever read about LSD contradicts it having any negative effect on the spine. The only possible negative long-term effects i know of is HPPD, which is generally the result of very frequent use or a very high dose. (HPPD is a possibility with mushrooms too, by the way.)

i think what he means isn’t the storing of LSD in the spine, rather that it can cause an unpleasant feeling in your spine, usually during the coming down period. friends of mine have experienced that, though i haven’t personally.

finale Posted:

You’re going to have trouble finding folks who do better on an IQ test while high on just about anything, with the possible exception of those with other longstanding psych issues. You’ll have a great difficulty giving a rational account of better thinking for someone whose dopamine and seratonin systems are out of whack.

i’ve never taken an IQ test, but i can attest that a friend and i who were in the same english clbum and were the only students who would go to that clbum stoned on a regular basis were the ones who were getting the highest grades. so really, it’s situational, not all stoners are idiots and not everyone who’s straight edge is smart. silly blanket-generalizations….

Everybodyknows edited this message on 03/30/2008 5:06PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!