Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Forum Ideas (Ideas for entire forums)

Listen2Reason

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Okay, so most of the forumbuildr stuff just gets deleted every week. And that’s fine, because we really wouldn’t have any use ever again for 100 mediocre DeviousArtists Angry Replies.

However. Forum ideas are a little different, because one is chosen every week but the others can be resubmitted in a later week. Currently it looks like all the forum ideas are just wiped; last week the top scorers were Urbane Dictionary (which won), N.A.I.V.E. and I think Alcoholics Unanimous…and this week those last two are nowhere to be found. I think this is a bad idea, because those were really good ideas and I think the people who wrote them shouldn’t have to resubmit them every damn week. (Not only that, but could I resubmit them myself and get the credit? Well, maybe some admin would catch me and punish me, in which case, why is said admin leaving themselves open for more work?)

Of course you don’t want to just have the forum ideas sitting around week after week acgreat timesulating votes. Maybe someone will come up with a really good idea that no one’s thought of yet and it *should* be voted up to the top, but it couldn’t because the old submissions already had so many votes. That’s a situation we want to avoid.

We could automatically resubmit the forum ideas each week, but then they count toward the authors’ submission limit and we don’t want to take that choice away from them.

So that’s what I’m ultimately suggesting: Save the forum ideas but have them in a “previously submitted state”. You submit a forum idea, and it doesn’t win…Next week you go to submit a forum idea and it tells you “You have 1 previously submitted forum idea, would you like to resubmit it?”. Then it counts toward the submission limit as usual. If you want to be really strict, you could say that “previously submitted” forum ideas *must* be resubmitted or they will be lost. Thus, the authors *do* have to resubmit them every week, but all it takes is one click. (Or maybe the previously submitted items have to be resubmitted after two weeks, or three. Whatever.)

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

alcoholics unanimous is faring okay, though its certainly not top 3 this week.

I like it the way it is, if fresh ideas fare better than the old favorites, so be it.

(also I am guessing N.A.I.V.E. was yours)

Pickled Dickbutt edited this message on 03/17/2008 9:23PM

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Leaving them up seems to discourage new, fresh ideas from circulating in. I say that if a user is really excited about their idea, they should be willing to take a few seconds to resubmit when the week recycles.

Bill_Murray_Fan_7383 edited this message on 03/17/2008 11:58PM

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

PIMPTASTIC-FROTH Posted:

Leaving them up seems to discourage new, fresh ideas from circulating in. I say that if a user is really excited about their idea, they should be willing to take a few seconds to resubmit when the week recycles.

And/or risk getting their idea copycatted/stolen and lose 1000 “sweet-bum” flezz.

I think that ideas over a certain threshold from week-to-week should automatically be resubmitted under the author’s name. These ideas should start with a baseline “fake-tastic” buffer score near the threshold which would not be increased until there have been that many upvotes on it. It’s a bit complicated, so let me explain:

Forum Idea A has +300

Forum Idea B has +200

Forum Idea C has +175

Forum Idea D has +100

Forum Idea E has +60

Week Ends.

– Forum A Wins.

– The threshold is 50% of the winning idea’s score. (+150 threshold)

– Forum Ideas B and C are above the threshold, so they are resubmitted automatically (and without a deduction to the author’s remaining weekly submissions) and are given a sort of buffer score of 10% of the winning idea’s score (+30 buffer).

– Forum Ideas D and E are below the threshold, so they are removed from public view, but are still kept under the author’s account for potential resubmittal at the expense of a weekly submission. This would prevent people having to type in the same forum idea week after week, like we know they will. Players should also have the option of removing any saved forum ideas.

When the new week starts, players will see the old forum ideas that were automatically resubmitted as available for voting on.

– Since there’s a +30 buffer for B and C, players must downvote the idea 35 times without a single upvote to have it removed from the list. However, 30 people must upvote the item before it can gain any points. When the 31st person upvotes the item, it would gain its first point, but until that point it will only show the effect of the downvotes.

– If forum B receives 25 downvotes, the item will be at +5. It must still receive 30 upvotes before anything can be added back into its score. At 31 upvotes, the item will show a score of +6.

– If forum B receives 34 downvotes and 30 upvotes, its score will be -4. The next upvote will bring it to -3 bumuming no more downvotes prior. The next downvote will bring it to -5 and remove it from the list.

– If forum B receives 30 downvotes and 34 upvotes, its score will be 4, and the next vote either way will effect the score as normal.

This will basically allow an item to remain on the list for longer than the typical downvote sprawl of 5 downvotes, but not give the item an unfair advantage over other submitted forum ideas once the number of votes pbumes the buffer either way.

The buffer should be noted with any surviving ideas in the Voted By Score page.

Corion edited this message on 03/18/2008 12:55AM

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Well, I had a forum idea from last week that rated pretty high and it was automatically resubmitted for me this week. That was nice, but then the first five votes it got this week were downvotes, so it’s gone. I’m kind of undecided if I should submit it again, or if people are so tired of seeing it that they’d just downvote it.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

plk Posted:

Well, I had a forum idea from last week that rated pretty high and it was automatically resubmitted for me this week.

Nice to see automatic resubmissions are implemented, but this is the kind of thing I was afraid of when I suggested a buffer of some sort. Obviously if a forum idea survives long enough to be rated in the top 5 or 6 for the previous week, it’s not something that should be voted off within a few hours.

Maybe forum idea resets need to occur every month or every few weeks, that way it won’t look too much like a resubmission. Losing forum ideas could be docked the average positive forum rating or half the number of votes of the winning submission or something, so good ideas have a headstart.

Corion edited this message on 03/18/2008 1:14AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!