Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Should mods be allowed to ban for RP posts which they feel negatively impact the community?

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Skyman747 Posted:

Not that the vast majority find annoying, people that the mods find annoying. This is just subjective, and I think that people unsure of their standing with the mods will not post. Like I said earlier, this will cause more trouble than it’s worth.

I really think we aren’t describing this correctly. The mods would never ban someone for making a single dumb or annoying post. They would never ban someone for being unfunny. This situation only comes into play for people who are deliberately disrupting the community, and doing it often enough to be noticed by the mods. They aren’t going to be combing through every thread and going “that person wasn’t funny BAN. I don’t like your klan BAN.” They’re going to be looking for people ****ting all over potentially good threads, necro-bumping two pages worth of bad threads, and stuff like that. Like I said before 99% of posters will never have to worry about this. The ones that do have to worry about this, and might be discouraged from posting, are the ones we don’t want around in the first place.

I don’t know where people got this “everyone is welcome no matter how annoying you are” thing. This is a community. We can pick and choose who we want around and how we want to get rid of people we don’t want around. It’s a big internet, take your unfunny **** elsewhere.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

Who is “we”, and while I agree with your discription of ****posting, why do we need to add all of this unnecessary red tape to take care of it? A multiple hour long ban would be a lot more effective than a warning, and you don’t need a vote for something only a moron would whine about. They can go outside if it bothers them that much.

Cheins Sanchez edited this message on 07/10/2009 4:56PM

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

You know, I suddenly remember that more than a year ago, it was still a bannable offense to spam duplicate posts.

When I was still in TSB nana asked me and a few other klannies to advertise a thread she created. I took it pretty serious and spammed “WIN HUGE SUMS OF MONEY” with the hyperlink all over the RP forums. Shortly after that I got a tubmail from MC Banhammer:

See that? You could be banned if you made duplicate posts. Even in RP forums. What if we bring this rule back? It would solve most of the problems we currently have.

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

I agree it would fix a few of the problems, but it still handcuffs you guys by making you only operate within the well-defined rules. I think the best solution is to make flamebate-only bans, and leave the moderation of the RP forums at the discretion of the mods, with an explicit understanding that if you are being disruptive for no reason other than to annoy as many people as possible, you’ll be given a break from posting for awhile.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

I don’t think it would solve the main problem, which is people posting crap becasue they can’t think of anything decent and then go and call it trolling. I think after the third hourban people would learn a lession.

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

I think the best solution is to make flamebate-only bans, and leave the moderation of the RP forums at the discretion of the mods, with an explicit understanding that if you are being disruptive for no reason other than to annoy as many people as possible, you’ll be given a break from posting for awhile.

I like this one.

Cheins Sanchez edited this message on 07/10/2009 5:03PM

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Flamebate-only bans would solve so many problems it’s ridiculous. If they are instituted, then I will change my vote on this topic Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I’ve come up with a way for Flamebate-only bans to be implemented. It requires programming of something else, which is about 90% of the way designed as I understand it, and another thing which isn’t in the picture at all but wouldn’t be too tough for ET to add.

Having said that, I’m not convinced it solves the problem, because there will probably still be complaints about being banned from Flamebate arbitrarily.

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

MC Banhammer Posted:

I’ve come up with a way for Flamebate-only bans to be implemented. It requires programming of something else, which is about 90% of the way designed as I understand it, and another thing which isn’t in the picture at all but wouldn’t be too tough for ET to add.

Having said that, I’m not convinced it solves the problem, because there will probably still be complaints about being banned from Flamebate arbitrarily.

And there will be complaints about the price of tea in China, but they’re easily enough ignored.

People will complain about anything. The question is, does a majority of the community believe it will make a difference even if it doesn’t solve the whole problem.

I’m thinking yes.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

People will ALWAYS complain about things, no matter how great they are. You can’t please everybody, all the time, etc etc… The goal here is to reduce the number of complaints and the number of complainants, and creating a line between flamebate offenses and game offenses will certainly help towards that end.

McB, if you have an idea that makes this possible with minimal effort on CZ’ part, please bring it up to the team ASAP. The sooner Flamebate can be fixed, the better. Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Fingerz Posted:

McB, if you have an idea that makes this possible with minimal effort on CZ’ part, please bring it up to the team ASAP. The sooner Flamebate can be fixed, the better. Log in to see images!

Way ahead of you. I posted it to the Task Force before I posted here.

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Cheins Sanchez Posted:

I would say that five modvotes are the best way to go.

You, guys, are getting p much ridiculous on the subject. Is this some kind of euthanasia protocol or what?

Mods are chosen to do their job. It is their job to pick posts which break the laws of this website and punish their OPs. Your obligation is to follow the rules and respect mods, who embody it. This is internet for chrissake, this is not United States or any other place, where you can hire over 9000 lawyers, give endless media coverages, hold public protest meetings and chew on some law issue for years like they did with OJ. This is internet, where law is enforced quickly and easily. Live with it.

Also, it’s not your right to discuss or criticize mods. Just a reminder: you lived the whole year with MCB and Tubs being the only active mods and everyone was happy. Then they did this recruitment thingy. And now please tell me, gentlemen, why didn’t you apply for mod? Now, really. You are so smart, you have your own brand-new innovative ideas, how Flamebate should operate, you are able to discuss it for years. But when it comes to actually doing something, you go like “Hmmmm, I dunno, maybe mod job isn’t that much fun after all. I’ll have to dig in those endless bad threads every day and won’t have time to play dom/incit/buildr/whatever”.

You lost your chance. You didn’t become mods. Now please stay calm and pay respect to those, who weren’t afraid to spend hours on doing their job. Trust their decisions and obey them. You have no choice.

TL;DR: Stop complaining, please.

Inconnu edited this message on 07/10/2009 5:37PM

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Fingerz Posted:

People will ALWAYS complain about things, no matter how great they are. You can’t please everybody, all the time, etc etc…

from Backdoor amigos forum about some buildr stuff:

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

everyone will complain no matter what

god could drop a script from heaven into JBs lap and people will still call it crap

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Inconnu Posted:

you lived the whole year with MCB and Tubs being the only active mods and everyone was happy

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

TL;DR: Stop complaining, please.[/quote]

We’re not. I don’t really think there are any hard feelings being tossed around. You could even go as far as to say that we’re having a Civil Discussion on what needs to be done here.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

Great minds think alike

TUBSWEETIELog in to see images!

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Inconnu Posted:

Also, it’s not your right to discuss or criticize mods.

What a bull**** sentiment. Where in the rules does it say people can’t do that? Respect is earned. When they were given modship, Crotch Zombie didn’t send them a box of pills that makes them respectable.

I have no problem with any of the mods, but if they don’t have thick enough skin to take the **** pitched at them they shouldn’t have become mods. If players can’t voice their complaints or distaste in regard to mods, then this site has become very ****ed up. This isn’t just about mods either, it’s about the way some things are done. We aren’t allowed to have discussion anymore?

Of course we are. It’s a ridiculous question with an obvious answer that you seem to want to try and change.

And if you remember EVERYBODY used to whine about Banhammer. Most of the time it was a joke, but it still happened.

Like I said, I have no problem with any of the mods and I don’t really care about this issue one way or another, but to tell people they shouldn’t talk about it is dumb. A MOD started this thread if you didn’t notice. You don’t have to read it if the complaining bothers you that much. That is a right that you have.

I’m tired, so I might be coming as way more of a male reproductive organ than I mean to be. Sorry if I am. I managed to not use the word fascism, so that says something. But really, don’t tell people what they do and don’t have a right to talk about.

PhineasPoe edited this message on 07/10/2009 6:19PM

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

PhineasPoe Posted:

Respect is earned.

ilu

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

PhineasPoe Posted:

If players can’t voice their complaints or distaste in regard to mods, then this site has become very ****ed up.

Currently players do voice their complaints, but I don’t see Flamebate getting better, whereas the opposite approach hasn’t yet been tested. The less people spend their typing skills on whining, the more quality and funny heron threads we have.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

PhineasPoe Posted:

What a bull**** sentiment. Where in the rules does it say people can’t do that? Respect is earned. When they were given modship, Crotch Zombie didn’t send them a box of pills that makes them respectable.

I have no problem with any of the mods, but if they don’t have thick enough skin to take the **** pitched at them they shouldn’t have become mods. If players can’t voice their complaints or distaste in regard to mods, then this site has become very ****ed up. This isn’t just about mods either, it’s about the way some things are done. We aren’t allowed to have discussion anymore?

Of course we are. It’s a ridiculous question with an obvious answer that you seem to want to try and change.

And if you remember EVERYBODY used to whine about Banhammer. Most of the time it was a joke, but it still happened.

Like I said, I have no problem with any of the mods and I don’t really care about this issue one way or another, but to tell people they shouldn’t talk about it is dumb. A MOD started this thread if you didn’t notice. You don’t have to read it if the complaining bothers you that much. That is a right that you have.

I’m tired, so I might be coming as way more of a male reproductive organ than I mean to be. Sorry if I am. I managed to not use the word fascism, so that says something. But really, don’t tell people what they do and don’t have a right to talk about.

Quotin best post in thread.

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Inconnu Posted:

Currently players do voice their complaints, but I don’t see Flamebate getting better, whereas the opposite approach hasn’t yet been tested. The less people spend their typing skills on whining, the more quality and funny heron threads we have.

It kind of sounds like this thread would interest you. One of the complaints being raised is some posters aren’t breaking any rules but are messing up Flamebate. Nailbomb revives so many old threads that new topics get pushed before they can have their time. Even if the post is the funniest thing in the world it won’t get the attention it deserves.

Like Fingerz said, even if things are great people will whine. They might be making the best posts on the site, but they’ll probably still **** about something. Complaining is so integrated into the feel of this place that if people didn’t routinely whinge, I think we’d all feel like something was missing.

Finally, the absence of whining does not good posters make. World peace wouldn’t lead to everybody being happy. There’s other factors at play. I’m not trying to be a jerk when I say this, but where are you awesome posts? You’re presumably not a whiner, but I don’t recall any kick bum Inconnu posts. Maybe that’s not what you come here for though. You like Dom, I’m guessing, and there’s other stuff you dig on. Your concern isn’t making a great post. Maybe you do post a lot, but do it mostly with alts. I’m just using you as an example about how not whining doesn’t make anybody’s posts gold.

I understand where you’re coming from, but telling people they shouldn’t discuss or criticize mods because they’re mods is silly. Especially in a thread started by a mod about modding.

TLDR: Everybody should complain if they want to, after all this is the internet.

PhineasPoe edited this message on 07/10/2009 7:15PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!