Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
News New (and improved) Domination Enhancements Thread

Dean Venture

Avatar: 60484 Thu Oct 16 00:24:33 -0400 2008

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

Yes. Is there anything wrong with there being a max? The game is supposed to be about Strategy. AKA: How do you make the most of what you have. It is a by-product of all the holes and exploits in the existing system that makes it more about getting the most scoops possible to survive a barrage of card attacks. I’m proposing that the game be made more into a Strategy game like it was always intended to be. Everyone can get the same max and it’s more about how you choose to use the scoops you’ve earned.

Now go and poke holes in what I’ve just said. Why shouldn’t we do this?

It would be an interesting game but a very different game. I’m not necessarily opposed to it (hence the theme comment) I just wanted to point out what it would mean to those licking their chops over unfettered raids or antifreeze – no one would gain a scoop advantage, it would become even more a game of alliances and tons of cards in the last 5 minutes.

Damn alt fail. This is Malaise for anyone who didn’t already know.

Dean Venture edited this message on 07/07/2009 6:08PM

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

– Remove all ridiculous Raiding rules (raid only every 60 hours, raid group size limit, no alts allowed in raid, etc)

Hooray!

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

– Add a daily scoop earning limit of X (X = 200?)

– Add a weekly scoop earning limit of X (X = 1000?)

– You can’t earn scoops in the last 24 hours of Domination

What Malaise said in the alt-fail up there.

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

– Pistachio scoops revamp (change the way streaks work)

– Remove Antifreeze limit

bumuming the above limits go in and they’re somewhat attainable without pistachio, I don’t see why you’d revamp the system. “Unlimited antifreeze” is fine as long as there’s still some cap, somewhere.

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

– Martyr 3 times should yield 8 scoops instead of 1

When you martyr, you’re still losing out on your pistachio streak and possible lemons. Unless this game becomes exponentially harder, where no one knows if they’ll be able to pwn a forum or not, martyrdom would never be worth it.

Ricket edited this message on 07/07/2009 6:19PM

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Scoop Changes

Scoop earning limitations would help to even out the board for people who aren’t at the top of their streak since being in the last week of your streak nets you 390 scoops if you have 12 visits when you start on Wednesday, but unless we can see how many we’ve already earned that week or that day, it can really mess with the last few days depending on the limit and how you’ve been playing up until then, though 1000 scoops is probably rare enough as it is given the randomness of raids.

As for Antifreeze, right now some people have the flezz that they could turn on the gambling script all day and not even dent it, we need a limitation there.

As for Martyr, what if you awarded Antifreeze based on where they are in their streak? 3+ the gain of the next level of streak for every suicide (Life after death prevents the gain of scoops of course) would mean that some people would have irregular pwning patterns so that just in case they can have 1 extra visit if someone jumps ahead at the last minute and they really want that total scoops medal, or to help stay below the leader when going for mins. You’re sacrificing almost that many Pistachio scoops plus Lemon plus Vanilla not to mention Flezz or forums pwnd Leaderboard status etc…

Pistachio, I say stop the gain at 20-30 or so and just have it stay there for every additional 4. This means Streaks are important but not game breaking and lets people be on even scoop gain footing for more than twice the amount of time as usual.

BINGEBOT 2015

Avatar: 38 2010-12-05 22:39:25 -0500

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

Dunatis Posted:

Scoop earning limitations would help to even out the board for people who aren’t at the top of their streak since being in the last week of your streak nets you 390 scoops if you have 12 visits when you start on Wednesday, but unless we can see how many we’ve already earned that week or that day, it can really mess with the last few days depending on the limit and how you’ve been playing up until then, though 1000 scoops is probably rare enough as it is given the randomness of raids.

I don’t know if 1000 is the magic number, maybe it’s 600? Whatever it is, yes I think that it would even out the game and make it more about strategy (how do you use your scoops) and less about “how can I ‘game’ the system to get the most possible scoops” (It was always my intent for the game to be more about Strategy and less about exploits).

Once this system is in place we can easily focus on more goals (Fibonacci, most destruction, highest natural total [no cards]), better cards or card options (pay 4 for a card, if you don’t like the 3 you got pay 1 to get 3 new choices, pay 6 and choose the card you want) and new themes (themes that aren’t just testing bug fixes, but rather that are actually fun and improve the game) Log in to see images!

Dunatis Posted:

As for Antifreeze, right now some people have the flezz that they could turn on the gambling script all day and not even dent it, we need a limitation there.

Yeah I don’t like the idea of using gambling scripts. So maybe we would put a limit on the number of each scoop type you could earn?? But yeah, you’d need counters and would have to keep track of how many more you could earn that day/week (which is annoying).

Dunatis Posted:

As for Martyr, what if you awarded Antifreeze based on where they are in their streak? 3+ the gain of the next level of streak for every suicide (Life after death prevents the gain of scoops of course) would mean that some people would have irregular pwning patterns so that just in case they can have 1 extra visit if someone jumps ahead at the last minute and they really want that total scoops medal, or to help stay below the leader when going for mins. You’re sacrificing almost that many Pistachio scoops plus Lemon plus Vanilla not to mention Flezz or forums pwnd Leaderboard status etc…

Martyr is more for lazy people that just want some extra scoops for no work. It also exists because you can’t get much antifreeze anywhere in the game. I would hardly consider it a viable means for getting scoops. I think I’d rather define a better way to get Antifreeze and just remove the martyr option altogether. I mean really, does anyone actually get scoops that way as their primary source? No.

Dunatis Posted:

Pistachio, I say stop the gain at 20-30 or so and just have it stay there for every additional 4. This means Streaks are important but not game breaking and lets people be on even scoop gain footing for more than twice the amount of time as usual.

Yeah I’d probably agree with you on this. Something definitely needs to be done. Not sure what exactly yet.

B2015

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

As I’ve said before, build first, tweak second.

If this is your philosophy its no wonder forumwarz is so broken after every major update…

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Inertia Posted:

If this is your philosophy its no wonder forumwarz is so broken after every major update…

ET has the same philosophy. Build first, balance later.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

Inertia Posted:

Seriously, that’s like saying “Cut First, Measure Later.”

BINGEBOT 2015

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

Skyman747 Posted:

Seriously, that’s like saying “Cut First, Measure Later.”

My point is, if I say “Get X scoops after <action> (X=Y?)” That the values of X and Y are completely irrelevant to the main point (especially given the fact that there’s a question mark in the statement). Is the statement in general a good idea? I’d rather discuss that then argue back and forth about the value of X. Once we decide that it’s a good idea we can argue about the value of X.

It’s more like saying “Should I get a haircut?” first, deciding to get one, then figuring out how long or short it should be.

Cat****?

Great!

BINGEBOT 2015 edited this message on 07/08/2009 9:19PM

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Are we allowed to see stats as to scoop gain? Some numbers would be pretty useful when it comes to finding out what could use a bit of a revamp as opposed to our educated guesses.

BINGEBOT 2015

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

Dunatis Posted:

Are we allowed to see stats as to scoop gain? Some numbers would be pretty useful when it comes to finding out what could use a bit of a revamp as opposed to our educated guesses.

I would love to say “YES”! But the functionality to track scoop gain is not built. So no. The best tool we currently have are educated guesses. Thus my dilemma in designing and optimizing Domination in the first place.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

BINGEBOT 2015 Posted:

I would love to say “YES”! But the functionality to track scoop gain is not built. So no. The best tool we currently have are educated guesses. Thus my dilemma in designing and optimizing Domination in the first place.

The solution to that seems obvious to me…

One table, 6 columns: PlayerID, Choc Scoops, Lemon Scoops, etc. Updated every time the “You’ve earned a xxx scoop! What’s Forumwarz Domination?” message is written to the newsfeed. Shouldn’t take ET much time at all to implement.

Or is that not the tracking that’s desired?

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Not relevant anymore.

Sneaky27 edited this message on 07/09/2009 11:33AM

BINGEBOT 2015

Level 12 Troll

I AM A GIANT FART FACE

MC Banhammer Posted:

The solution to that seems obvious to me…

One table, 6 columns: PlayerID, Choc Scoops, Lemon Scoops, etc. Updated every time the “You’ve earned a xxx scoop! What’s Forumwarz Domination?” message is written to the newsfeed. Shouldn’t take ET much time at all to implement.

Or is that not the tracking that’s desired?

It’s less about the time required to build the structure and more about the load that that process would add. Every time any scoop is added to the system it would need to call that table. So it’s a little more complicated than that. I’ve been pushing for stats on scoop gain for a long time, it’s a matter of prioritizing against everything else that needs to get done.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Another quick and dirty solution being a week with no cards, might work pretty good as a first week for Dom if the season is ending in 3 weeks since in the first week the brackets will be so mixed and potentially one sided anyways if there is only one serious player in any of them and any medal gain could be countered in a few weeks. Another option to prevent this is to have everyone put into 2 Dom brackets, one that they have no access to and awards no medals just for number tracking, though that brings up the same issue of calling up the table all the time.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

On the issue of times: Why not just divide domination into 5 separate sets, each with it’s own brackets? That way you can cater to everyone. Including us poor Australians, who get caught in between Europe and the US, and therefore get screwed every which way.

Complicated? Yes. Unworkable? Possibly.

But if we’re chucking ideas around, I thought I might as well let this one fly.

ElGrande

Level 32 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

“I don’t know if 1000 is the magic number, maybe it’s 600? Whatever it is, yes I think that it would even out the game and make it more about strategy (how do you use your scoops) and less about “how can I ‘game’ the system to get the most possible scoops” (It was always my intent for the game to be more about Strategy and less about exploits).

Once this system is in place we can easily focus on more goals (Fibonacci, most destruction, highest natural total [no cards]), better cards or card options (pay 4 for a card, if you don’t like the 3 you got pay 1 to get 3 new choices, pay 6 and choose the card you want) and new themes (themes that aren’t just testing bug fixes, but rather that are actually fun and improve the game)”

From a game design perspective you can go one of two ways with regards to scoops and cards. At present, Domination is heavily a resource gathering game, where those who most efficiently gather scoops will generally be able to medal. These resources are tied closely to and reward various in-game actions. This does have the nice effect of rewarding people who plan and play well, but does have the pistachio streak situation at the highest levels.

The max scoop idea could potentially slam the game in the opposite direction, where resources are trivial to acgreat timesulate and most halfway decent players hit their limit. At that point you’re no longer rewarding resource gathering but making it sort of a side-show to the “real” action.

Perhaps the ideal scenario is to have a situation where at the highest levels resource gathering is trivial but the max is high enough that it’s not readily achievable by anyone actually trying.

Given the current card structure, the actual gameplay of domination isn’t interesting enough if you bumume an even resource base amongst players. It’s kind of like a Dragonball Z battle… a week of building up to a frantic final day of battle. The most interesting things that happen during a week are when someone trolls and burns all their scoops to just attack whoever and throws that week.

Twitter

Avatar: 224313 2010-01-07 16:38:43 -0500

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

We’re working on upgrading Forumwarz Domination behind the scenes. Raiding should be a lot more fun when we’re done!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!