Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 3 Feature suggestion to reduce strain on the server

ahjteam

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 16 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

As many of you have noticed, the server get some SERIOUS strain around the forumreset time. The best way to reduce the strain would be to spread the reset time to all hour of day. One of the best ways to do this would be to change the individual reset time to for example according to the time of registration and see the remainder of the number divided with 24.

In PHP, the operator to do this is % and works like x % y. For example

5 % 5 = 0

5 % 4 = 3

5 % 3 = 2

5 % 2 = 1

5 % 1 = 0

If the registration date is put to the database as unix timestamp, in PHP the code would be ($timestamp % 24), if its not, then eg. ((2008+3+18) % 24)

Tell me what do you think

PS: An E-peen would be nice Log in to see images! ahjteam edited this message on 03/16/2008 11:54AM

Irascible

[My Balls]

Level 15 Troll

The Duke of Fail

They are discussing doing something similar now. Lots of people thought of this idea already, but kudos for trying.

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

****ing fatties and loving it since he was a teen

I can’t be arsed to think of them, but I’m sure there are loads of advantages to be gained from resetting before another player.

I don’t like it.

JoshS

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Philanthropist Posted:

I can’t be arsed to think of them, but I’m sure there are loads of advantages to be gained from resetting before another player.

I don’t like it.

It would only throw off domination for 1 week. After that, the resets would be equal across the next week.

ahjteam

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 16 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Philanthropist Posted:

I don’t like it.

One way to prevent the advantages would be that those with same “resetzone” would be added to same domination group

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

Which would mean you didn’t have the whole userbase as possible domination opponents… which would suck.

I don’t want to be restricted to who I use the bumhole card on..!

curufeanor

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

ahjteam Posted:

In PHP, the operator to do this is % and works like x % y. For example

5 % 5 = 0

5 % 4 = 3

5 % 3 = 2

5 % 2 = 1

5 % 1 = 0

If the registration date is put to the database as unix timestamp, in PHP the code would be ($timestamp % 24), if its not, then eg. ((2008+3+18) % 24)

Tell me what do you think

PS: An E-peen would be nice Log in to see images!

Yeah, I’m sure the coders here don’t know how to do basic arithmetic! Why don’t they just transfer ownership of the game to u right now, ur obviously a l33t hacker with $ecret knowledge of remainders!!! Log in to see images!

P.S.

Can you reset my upgrade points pleazors wit your knowledge of hacking Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

curufeanor Posted:

Yeah, I’m sure the coders here don’t know how to do basic arithmetic! Why don’t they just transfer ownership of the game to u right now, ur obviously a l33t hacker with $ecret knowledge of remainders!!!

lol

Also this thread is redundant. Check this one for much more information on the topic.

CptJackbum

Level 10 Emo Kid

God of Thunder

ahjteam Posted:

One way to prevent the advantages would be that those with same “resetzone” would be added to same domination group

Brilliant!!!

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Philanthropist Posted:

I don’t like it.

Mathematically, it won’t matter when the individual rollover times start or stop, so long as that information is kept private.

Player A’s rollover time WED 10 p.m., one hour after Domination starts. When Domination starts, he could have, at most, 12 forum visits saved up. He uses those within the hour, and over the course of seven days, he acquires 28 more (WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN, MON, TUE 10 p.m.) That’s a maximum of 40 forum visits during any one Domination Round.

Player B’s rollover time WED 8 p.m., one hour bedfore Domination starts. When Domination starts, he could have, at most, 12 forum visits saved up. He uses those within the hour, and over the course of seven days, he acquires 28 more (THU, FRI, SAT, SUN, MON, TUE, WED 8 p.m.) That’s a maximum of 40 forum visits during any one Domination Round.

The only difference is when each player has to go for their ‘rush’. And so long as the total number of forum visits available and rollover time of each player is kept private, it’s completely fair.

If you want to hedge the bet about fairness, then don’t have any rollover times occur within 6 hours of of Domination end times (i.e., the last rollover time should be 3 p.m.) That means that for the last six hours on Wednesday, everyone knows that their opponents, like themselves, can’t have more than 12 forum visits saved up. That means the endgame strategy is fair & balanced.

And with 18 possible rollover times left in the mix, that still spreads out the workload for the servers, etcetera.

Simply randomly bumign rollover times, on the hour, between 10 p.m. and 3 p.m. daily. As an option, make it a 3-5 Brownie Point service to choose your rollover time manually.

PhilANThropi-
St

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I don’t think brownie points should be used to further your game advantage… buying an avatar or title, cool, but buying yourself an advantage in Domination, even if it’s a very ****ing small one, isn’t so cool.

That said, if resets are to be spread over the day…. Random. Random. Random. Only way to keep it fair.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!