Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay I remember when Blizzard used to be cool

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

They better not ****ing do this with Warcraft IV.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

“We got quite different answers about local area networking (LAN), where both Dustin or Sigaty said they were still discussing it, however, Pardo knew immediately: “we don’t have any plans to support LAN,” he said and clarified “we will not support it.” The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.” – sauce

I find that strange. But by ditching LAN they lose the Koreans, so oh well blizzard.

Skyman747 edited this message on 07/02/2009 12:26PM

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Skyman747 Posted:

”We got quite different answers about local area networking (LAN), where both Dustin or Sigaty said they were still discussing it, however, Pardo knew immediately: “we don’t have any plans to support LAN,” he said and clarified “we will not support it.” The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.” – sauce

I find that strange. But by ditching LAN they lose the Koreans, so oh well blizzard.

They cant possibly be ditching LAN entirely. I’m positive battlenet will kick into lan transmission in a lan situation, but you still need to be connected to their battlenet service at the same time.

it would be stupid to have an entire house of people’s data going through the same uplink, to battlenet, then back to them. laggggg

wildfire393

Level 22 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

zigzagoon Posted:

an internet connection

I bumure you, my brother and I have played in the same Battle.net game simulatenously from two computers in the same network, using only one internet connection.

Seriously guys, this isn’t the end of the world.

zigzagoon

Avatar: 28782 2011-07-31 12:19:07 -0400

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

what i meant was that if your internet connection is down you will not be able to play with your friend who is in the same room as you are, which is absolutely ridiculous

and if you have bad internet that occasionally lags/disconnects you’ll get that while you’re playing on a lan :s

really i don’t care much myself since i don’t play starcraft but this is the kind of thing that makes me loathe the game industry: they turn everything into a service which makes you dependent on the company and if the company goes away you are pwned

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

zigzagoon Posted:

what i meant was that if your internet connection is down you will not be able to play with your friend who is in the same room as you are, which is absolutely ridiculous

and if you have bad internet that occasionally lags/disconnects you’ll get that while you’re playing on a lan :s

really i don’t care much myself since i don’t play starcraft but this is the kind of thing that makes me loathe the game industry: they turn everything into a service which makes you dependent on the company and if the company goes away you are pwned

Signed. People shouldn’t have to resort to hax to have basic functionality that has been industry standard for something like 15 years.

Kilroy

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

Signed. People shouldn’t have to resort to hax to have basic functionality that has been industry standard for something like 15 years.

LAN play is slowly disappearing, you know. Even on consoles, local multiplayer is dying out, and I really don’t know why. It’s a great thing to be able to kill 3 of your friends at a party in Halo, but newer games are simply getting rid of that functionality.

KaaVink

Avatar: 60693 Tue Oct 28 11:07:23 -0400 2008

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

I don’t see why it’s dying out, though. Online gaming isn’t a proper substitute for actual human interaction. Especially since Bnet probably won’t have mandatory IQ and maturity-level tests before allowing someone to join.

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

I used to be one of the like seven people in north america who play computer games and didn’t have an internet connection so I know the trauma of getting a game not being able to do anything because it needs to be online. In principle it’s a stupid, unneeded intrusion.

However, it’s hard NOT to have an internet connection nowadays. Even if you don’t, your neighbors probably have wifi you can borrow to get online to activate your stuff.

If it were just activation, then I wouldn’t have an issue with it.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Kilroy Posted:

play is slowly disappearing, you know. Even on consoles, local multiplayer is dying out, and I really don’t know why. It’s a great thing to be able to kill 3 of your friends at a party in Halo, but newer games are simply getting rid of that functionality.

The reason it’s slowly dying out is because they don’t make money from the 3 friends playing YOUR copy of the game. They want to sell each person a copy of the game and make them play online cuz then it’s 4 times the money.

Nintendo disagrees with this selfish kind of forced-marketing, which is why they are brutally murdering all the other consoles.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Nintendo is also marketing to an entirely different demographic, that probably helps them a whole ****ton.

KaaVink

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Shii Posted:

Nintendo disagrees with this selfish kind of forced-marketing

The Pokemon series wants to disagree with you there.

zigzagoon

Avatar: 28782 2011-07-31 12:19:07 -0400

Level 20 Permanoob

“Asshat”

KaaVink Posted:

The Pokemon series wants to disagree with you there.

well in their defense the pokemon games are kind of designed around the idea that you have your own copy of the game because there are a lot of things that need to be saved between sessions (pokemon, items, abilities etc) unlike for example starcraft where each player who begins the game starts from nothing :/

take a look at other games that are more similar to starcraft instead – advance wars has the option of hotseat as well as download play with more than one DS and just one copy of the game Log in to see images!

Kilroy

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Shii Posted:

The reason it’s slowly dying out is because they don’t make money from the 3 friends playing YOUR copy of the game. They want to sell each person a copy of the game and make them play online cuz then it’s 4 times the money.

Nintendo disagrees with this selfish kind of forced-marketing, which is why they are brutally murdering all the other consoles.

The Conduit is, other than Red Steel, the only exclusive Wii FPS. Didn’t have local multiplayer.

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Skyman747 Posted:

But by ditching LAN they lose the Koreans, so oh well blizzard.

Yep; to that end, I’d say they must have some sort of alternative to create lag-free play.

KaaVink

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

I think any ‘boycott’ over this issue as as much Log in to see images! as most excuses for piracy are these days. There are a lot of games that require online activation now, and while it sucks, it ruins the experience for almost nobody. I’m pretty sure the majority of games on Steam still made money hand over fist. Every game I’ve seen that somebody cares about having online activation (my brother, mainly), there’s been a hack out in a matter of days to get around the functionality, and there always will be. I use as many no-CD cracks and private servers for games I’ve purchased as games I’ve pirated, and I acknowledge that the only reason I pirate games is because I’m a cheap ****. Pretend you’re in the right all you want while you steal software as you **** about how much better it ought to be, that’s cool. This goes for people complaining that SC2 “costs $150” because they’ve already got two expansions planned too.

Also anyone who thinks Blizzard would forsake the best SC players in the world is pretty dumb.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Sancdar Posted:

I think any ‘boycott’ over this issue as as much Log in to see images!

Steam DRM is actually a lot less objectionable than the normal style of online activation.

Business as normal: You install the game from a disk, if you lose this disk or it gets scratched then you’re ****ed and must re-buy the game. Whilst installing, it adds another program to your system that you didn’t ask for (SecuROM) which proceeds to tell you whether or not you’re allowed to play your new game based on such factors as what other programs you have installed, whether the games company says you’re allowed at that moment, the colour of your shirt and whether or not there are birds flying overhead.

Typically the company uses this to enforce either a pointless disk check, once again meaning that you’re totally ****ing screwed over should anything happen to that fragile piece of plastic, or to enforce a limited number of “activations” which either limit how many PCs you can install on, or how many times you can install the game at all. Very often it will require you to manually deactivate PCs so a hard system wipe will take one of your activations with it. In the long run you are likely to use up all of your allowed installs and then be told to go buy the game again.

With Steam it’s tied to an account not a computer, so you can download whatever you want, to wherever you want, and as many times as you want, but you can only sign into your account and play your games from one place at a time. In exchange for loss of control over your game (you don’t have a disc, you’re reliant on them to keep playing) they take responsibility for keeping the “disc” safe for you on their servers. The only time I’ve ever had difficulty playing a game was when I was offline… even that can be worked around with most games by use of “Offline mode”, but some games won’t be playable from offline. It’s still not perfect (no resale/lending/trade, 2 members of a family can’t play games from the same account simultaneously, all goes kaputski if Steam dies) but it’s a damn sight better than the first option.

There’s always hacks and cracks, but for the legal gamer, Steam offers a lot more useful stuff for a lot less bull****. The part that really grates is the idea of having to go and grovel to customer support to ask to play your own game without paying for it all over again.

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

When I purchased The Spirit Engine 2, I got an installer file with the game in it. No DRM at all, nothing. I was actually treated like a customer and not a potential thief. Yes, I do believe online activation is a blight on PC gaming and it’s one of the reasons why I don’t buy PC games from major companies anymore. If I want to play a flashy 3D action game, I’ll do it on a console, because consoles are vastly superior in terms of customer treatment. The game always works, there’s no risk of getting SecuROM or any similar bull****, if the company goes bankrupt I still have the game, and I can resell it whenever I want to.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Yeah, I totally forgot about some of the bull**** copy protection schemes. Anyway, I am fine with online activation run by a company that’s proven to be reliable and doesn’t look like it’s in danger of vanishing. I know there are games that had online activation that no longer work at all just by servers failing, and even more than that games with private servers. Everyone hates gamespy, but at least they were around forever.

Amy Rose

Avatar: 169456 Mon May 25 19:27:23 -0400 2009

Level 27 Permanoob

Im realy a lesbien with a male reproductive organ lolololol

I have a Starcraft CD lying around the place. IT has the “spwan” function, which is extremely useful in setting up LAN parties. But if it’s not included on SC II, I’m not sure I’m gonna buy it, or just pirate the damn thing to hell.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!