Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay I remember when Blizzard used to be cool

KaaVink

Avatar: 60693 Tue Oct 28 11:07:23 -0400 2008

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Amy Rose Posted:

I have a Starcraft CD lying around the place. IT has the “spwan” function, which is extremely useful in setting up LAN parties. But if it’s not included on SC II, I’m not sure I’m gonna buy it, or just pirate the damn thing to hell.

It’s actually one step worse than that. SCII won’t have any LAN support at all.

Amy Rose

Avatar: 169456 Mon May 25 19:27:23 -0400 2009

Level 27 Permanoob

Im realy a lesbien with a male reproductive organ lolololol

KaaVink Posted:

It’s actually one step worse than that. SCII won’t have any LAN support at all.

wtf? That’s not a smart move. no LAN support is stupid. If you have several people living together or merely close (i.e. people on the same block/building), then it’s much easier to just set up a LAN than to get all the data to go on the Internet, throughr routers and servers and back into a place a few yards away. Why, oh, why?

KaaVink

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

That’s what a lot of people are wondering. Obviously it made sense to someone, somewhere. I still don’t see the logic behind it, though.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

They cant possibly be ditching LAN entirely. I’m positive battlenet will kick into lan transmission in a lan situation, but you still need to be connected to their battlenet service at the same time.

it would be stupid to have an entire house of people’s data going through the same uplink, to battlenet, then back to them. laggggg

KaaVink

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

We got quite different answers about local area networking (LAN), where both Dustin or Sigaty said they were still discussing it, however, Pardo knew immediately: “we don’t have any plans to support LAN,” he said and clarified “we will not support it.” The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/190/StarCraftIIDevelopersInterviewed?gr_i_ni

Amy Rose

Level 27 Permanoob

KaaVink Posted:

That’s what a lot of people are wondering. Obviously it made sense to someone, somewhere. I still don’t see the logic behind it, though.

Hte logic must be that everyone has to buy a separate copy for themselves and they’ll probably force you to play through their own server, so, if you want to play through a private server, you have to use an illegally “enhanced” copy of the game. It’s a gray, murky area in software legislation.

quantumenergy

[Everyday Regular N-
ormal Klan
]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Blizzard is always cool their games are superior to all other games out there Log in to see images!

KCGII

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 28 Emo Kid

“Lopsided McHaircut”

KaaVink Posted:

It’s because the gaming industry is shifting more and more and more toward online play instead of local multiplayer. The phenomenon really took off with the advent of Xbox Live. Ever since the 360 came out it’s been even worse, and the entire industry took notice. Why waste money on the additional feature of local multiplayer when people can just hop online and find people to play with easy as cake? Personally, I don’t understand it. I’d like to not have to own a Wii just for some good in-house party games, but that just seems to be the way it’s gonna be going.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

KaaVink Posted:

blah blah no LAN support

This is different from saying that playing with someone on your network through Battle.net will route all data through BNet’s servers, which is what I was responding to. Of course, I doubt it would anyway since joining games in their current products makes you communicate with the host rather than the main server, and the only difference between their LAN protocol and online protocol is the default latency.

Amy Rose

Level 27 Permanoob

quantumenergy Posted:

Blizzard is always cool their games are superior to all other games out there Log in to see images!

Then you, for one, haven’t played Rome: Total War, or any of a thousand other games that are good.

KCGII Posted:

It’s because the gaming industry is shifting more and more and more toward online play instead of local multiplayer. The phenomenon really took off with the advent of Xbox Live. Ever since the 360 came out it’s been even worse, and the entire industry took notice. Why waste money on the additional feature of local multiplayer when people can just hop online and find people to play with easy as cake? Personally, I don’t understand it. I’d like to not have to own a Wii just for some good in-house party games, but that just seems to be the way it’s gonna be going.

There’s not much to code for LAn, is it? you can just keep the same basic LAN format and make minor adjustments as you find glitches… wow, that’d cost like €2.50 more than not doing it, so let’s not do it.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

I think a large part of it is Blizzard working against piracy/hacks. They’ve started using their Warden anti-hack stuff in multiple products recently (like WC3), and it only works on Battle.net. Most of the private servers for pirated copies of the game run using the LAN interface, because it’s easier to set up games through that then to run a full BNet server. By forcing you to authenticate with them for even LAN play, they make it harder to pirate their games for the full experience or run hacks.

I honestly don’t understand why this is such a huge deal. It’s nice to have LAN support, but we all obviously have internet connections.

Amy Rose Posted:

There’s not much to code for LAn, is it? you can just keep the same basic LAN format and make minor adjustments as you find glitches… wow, that’d cost like €2.50 more than not doing it, so let’s not do it.

Do you have any software development experience?

Sancdar edited this message on 08/01/2009 5:52AM

Nillo

Avatar: 13243 2015-07-21 17:58:06 -0400

[COMPOSOLITION]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I suck dirty homeless guys male reproductive organs all night long

It is a big deal because it shifts the ownership of the game from you to Blizzard. When everything in Starcraft goes through Battle.net, Blizzard has full control of your game. If for some reason they feel like canceling your Battle.net account, they can do that and you won’t be able to play multiplayer anymore.

Amy Rose

Level 27 Permanoob

Sancdar Posted:

I think a large part of it is Blizzard working against piracy/hacks. They’ve started using their Warden anti-hack stuff in multiple products recently (like WC3), and it only works on Battle.net. Most of the private servers for pirated copies of the game run using the LAN interface, because it’s easier to set up games through that then to run a full BNet server. By forcing you to authenticate with them for even LAN play, they make it harder to pirate their games for the full experience or run hacks.

I honestly don’t understand why this is such a huge deal. It’s nice to have LAN support, but we all obviously have internet connections.

Do you have any software development experience?

Next to none. I’ve never done any LAN stuff except setting up a router, and I’m not really into the new systems, I just tweak existing things. It was so much easier -for me Log in to see images!- when Windows was some project Microsoft had and DOS was the standard…

Anyway, I’m digressing. So, back to the point. What I mean is: They already know how to set up LAN connections and all the related stuff. If you’re already making a multiplayer feature for the Internet, then why can’t you shell out a bit more and put in the LAN part? How much can the LAN part of the game’s programming cost, compared to the rest of the game? i don’t think it would be much more money, since you’re making it feature multiplayer gameplay anyway.

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

Warcraft II Custom Games Rocked My World. Too bad there cashing out on WoW and not continuing a damn good franchise.

KaaVink

[SRSLY]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

As far as I understand, the multiplayer demos they’ve shown have worked through a lan. So it’s not a matter of not including the feature, but rather a matter of removing it when it does currently exist.

KCGII Posted:

Problem is, if you look at WoW, about 80-90% of the userbase is completely very special. So when it comes to multiplayer, I’d rather play with a few people in the same room where I know it’ll be a worthwhile experience, rather than having to deal with the large amount of idiots I’d encounter online.

Amy Rose

Level 27 Permanoob

Raepdog Posted:

Warcraft II Custom Games Rocked My World. Too bad there cashing out on WoW and not continuing a damn good franchise.

That’s because they’re not non-profit organisations, the bad thing is that they didn’t get an (un)official (un)official team like happened with Transport Tycoon.

KaaVink Posted:

As far as I understand, the multiplayer demos they’ve shown have worked through a lan. So it’s not a matter of not including the feature, but rather a matter of removing it when it does currently exist.

KCGII Posted:

Problem is, if you look at WoW, about 80-90% of the userbase is completely very special. So when it comes to multiplayer, I’d rather play with a few people in the same room where I know it’ll be a worthwhile experience, rather than having to deal with the large amount of idiots I’d encounter online.

So they actually do make a LAN version and afterwards remove it? How stupid… VERY STUPID.

Bondage****

Avatar: 83380 Fri Feb 06 21:48:18 -0500 2009

Level 32 Camwhore

Evil Trout's whore

You could probably still tunnel it using Hatchi or a similar app.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!