Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Animu Does anyone here watch any anime?

DarwinAwardJ-
udge

[TheDucksAreComing--
IIII11
]

Level 4 Troll

“Slightly Unpleasant Individual”

windandwater Posted:

Eh, I was sorta used to the DBZ-syndrome since I watch alot of shounen anime. But I’ll have to admit that the OVAs had pretty animation… which was the only saving grace since it was so utterly depressing.

Yeah its a real downer. I’m not much for shounen because a lot of that seems so pointless. Then again Fullmetal Alchemist is bloody depressing the farther you get in. There are some really good stories that are incredibly sad and just depressing.

Only shounen show I could stomach I think was Shaman King… XD Loved that show.

Sollen

Level 7 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Anime is the cancer that is killing cartoons. SRSLY, I’d take Futurama or even The Simpsons over any animé, any day, etc.

They are even making a Batman anime now. Y DEY DO DAT?Log in to see images!

Girl A

[SRSLY]

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

10 year anime veteran… Lately been using my pirate skillz to torrent a bunch of stuff…. Think I have over 450GB of it now, or something… >>;;

maddsurgeon

Level 21 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Sollen Posted:

SRSLY, I’d take Futurama or even The Simpsons over any animé, any day, etc.

I’d take The Simpsons over just about anything on television.

ArmyofJuan

Level 7 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

Sollen Posted:

Anime is the cancer that is killing cartoons. SRSLY, I’d take Futurama or even The Simpsons over any animé, any day, etc.

They are even making a Batman anime now. Y DEY DO DAT?Log in to see images!

that batman anime is going to be awsome as ****.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

Yeah, I’m a big anime fan. I’m usually watching something or other, recently it’s been the full series of Cowboy Bebop (remix) I bought, and the first half of Gundam Seed (both being the Bandai “clbumic” sets).

I’m really psyched about the upcoming Anime Iowa convention – I’m going to the cosplay contest as Ryuske from Beck, and I’m going to play my guitar onstage. It should be a great time. Log in to see images!

Andy Waltfeld

Avatar: 14210 Wed Apr 01 19:08:48 -0400 2009

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 34 Troll

doktor_cake's ****

Regarding Gundam: SEED DESTINY makes a good 39-episode series.

I should know, I’m named after an accessory character.

Also, hey hey ningen suckers, ah ningen ningen ****ers.

Also also, anime isn’t killing cartoons. American animation is killing itself by not realizing that its audiences tend to grow up and appreciate continuity more. Anime is killing itself by churning out moeblobs and limiting its international exposure to Shonen Jump properties. So I’m just gonna sit back, enjoy my reruns of Code Lyoko and W.I.T.C.H., and come back in twenty years when the European side of the industry has to clean up your messes.

Neurotic Nin-
ja

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I watch anime all the time… though I’m stuck with what I can borrow from friends, download off he net, or find on youtube

Neurotic Ninja edited this message on 03/19/2008 12:53PM

DarwinAwardJ-
udge

[TheDucksAreComing--
IIII11
]

Level 4 Troll

“Slightly Unpleasant Individual”

Neurotic Ninja Posted:

I watch anime all the time… though I’m stuck with what I can borrow from friends, download off he net, or find on youtube

Sadly the industry is suffering, though it’s hard to tell why.

I love family gun, the simpsons and futurama. Those are clbumic shows, and Anime has better story telling than a lot of American Cartoons…

Doesn’t mean I’m not a nerd for anything that DC will put out on video—- I’m a huge Green Arrow fan. Love Ollie… Looooove Ollie…

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

The difficulty with anime is that it’s become a highly derivative and imitative market- the high overhead bumociated with animation means that most studios prefer to produce safer, more conventional material that fits within previous conventions- this tendency is very strong in Japanese development systems in general. It’s thanks to this trend that we have most anime cliches, actually…

Generally speaking, though, it leads to a glut of very similar, very generic shows. You also end up with a lot of the same viewer-oriented material, such as the concepts of fanservice or merchandising-oriented writing.

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Sure there’s alot of cliches and repetition in anime, but you could say that about any sort of mainstream media. How many cop shows are on TV? How many mecha anime are there? It’s about producing a product/show that will bring in money. And, let’s face it, people like giant robots. Log in to see images!

But I don’t think this will always kill your enjoyment of anime, you just learn to pick and choose what’s best for you. I don’t know how many crappy mahou shoujo anime I’ve watched, but yeah, lots of it is crap, but some of it is good. And the anime and manga industries also open up the possibilities for really new things to come out. There’s always a twist that can be used, and if it’s used well, that’s worth watching.

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

That’s a fair point, but I still feel that the level of conventionalism found in anime is higher than in most television. I guess it’s not really something that can be proven one way or another, though, eh?

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

windandwater Posted:

And, let’s face it, people like giant robots. Log in to see images!

Chicks dig giant robots…

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Amp Zaphrix Posted:

Chicks dig giant robots…

Actually, they dig the cute boys who pilot the giant robots.

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

finale Posted:

That’s a fair point, but I still feel that the level of conventionalism found in anime is higher than in most television. I guess it’s not really something that can be proven one way or another, though, eh?

Probably not, unless you wanna go through 100 years of manga/anime and tally up how many of each genre there is. But I think it’s fun to do things like watch Kodacha and Perfect Blue back to back. Afterall, they’re both about Japanese idol stars. Log in to see images!

ArmyofJuan

Level 7 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

finale Posted:

The difficulty with anime is that it’s become a highly derivative and imitative market- the high overhead bumociated with animation means that most studios prefer to produce safer, more conventional material that fits within previous conventions- this tendency is very strong in Japanese development systems in general. It’s thanks to this trend that we have most anime cliches, actually…

Generally speaking, though, it leads to a glut of very similar, very generic shows. You also end up with a lot of the same viewer-oriented material, such as the concepts of fanservice or merchandising-oriented writing.

But teh ting about that is, cop shows, if they suck, eventually get cancelled. Where as anime has all 26 episodes. That and it’s hard to find anime thats actually decent where as you have tons of magazines telling you what tv shows are good.

Bill_Murray_-
Fan_7383

Avatar: 7241 2011-07-31 00:42:33 -0400

[i have a thirteen inch male reproductive organ click for proof]

Level 35 Camwhore

Oh whoops, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong

ArmyofJuan Posted:

But teh ting about that is, cop shows, if they suck, eventually get cancelled. Where as anime has all 26 episodes. That and it’s hard to find anime thats actually decent where as you have tons of magazines telling you what tv shows are good.

Well, you can always look to anime magazines, or even better, review sites.

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Or, failing that, do what I do: Watch a bunch and figure out what you like by yourself. Get an idea about what your tastes are. Sure, it’s good to talk to people about what they think, but don’t let them govern your preferences.

ArmyofJuan

Level 7 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

i’v looked at anime mags and i havnt really seen any “reviews”. Plus the only anime mags i LOOK at are anime insider and newtype but newtype kind of sucks. every time i read it it seems like they enjoy reviewing more **** from japan than anything else.

and i know what i genres i like and such, but it doesn’t mean that i’ll watch “****ty sci-fi group teen anime #0873489026496873568”.

Milo

Avatar: 34228 Sun Jul 19 21:54:32 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 14 Camwhore

mi brets r relli small, dnt thnik i cna get canser in them

One time I was just hanging out at my friends house, and they decided to put Spirited Away on. Then when it was over, they put Akira on.

Then, it got worse Log in to see images! they put hentai on.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!