Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout Quick question about roms and emulator rules.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Since roms are considered illegal over here in the US, are they illegal in Canada? If so, are we allowed to talk about them on these forums/post links to rom sites/rom downloads?

CrinkzPipe

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

bumping this.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

CrinkzPipe Posted:

bumping this.

tubmail evil trout. he was cool with posting links to some copywritten dogreat timesentaries a while ago but i dunno how he feels about this nowadays.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Last I heard, ROMs aren’t illegal so long as you already have a copy of the game itself. Not that people listen to that, but I’d have to say that something is wrong if CZ can get in trouble for you posting something that isn’t entirely illegal.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Dunatis Posted:

Last I heard, ROMs aren’t illegal so long as you already have a copy of the game itself. Not that people listen to that, but I’d have to say that something is wrong if CZ can get in trouble for you posting something that isn’t entirely illegal.

They are entirely illegal fyi

He’s never seemed to care about people discussing/linking any illegal files before. I’ve seen links in idc and stuff.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

http://www.bumociatedcontent.com/article/249756/what_are_emulators_and_roms_and_are.html?cat=19

Over the last ten years programmers, hackers, and gamers have been using emulators, such as MAME to allow them to play their favorite old console and arcade games on their home computer. Emulators and roms (the games they play) are illegal in most cases. However, there has not been a significant crackdown on them by the video game and console companies in about five years.

The only way that playing an old game on your computer would truly be legal is if you owned a physical copy of the game. Otherwise, you are breaking the copyright laws that apply to the game.

Presumably the misinformation mentioned below by Nintendo

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a “second copy” rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Here they agree with JB while at the same time saying that you can legally backup your own property. So I guess it’s legal so long as you make it yourself so ‘haha **** you’ if you don’t know technology well enough?

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/site/legal_info.htm

Is emulation really legal?

gba romsYes it is. The case of SONY V. CONNECTIX found that unauthorized emulation is perfectly legal. It was the decision of the court that CONNECTIX had the right to emulate the SONY Playstation and that reverse engineering of the Playstation BIOS for such a cause fell under fair usage. As a result of this case CONNECTIX was allowed to release it’s Virtual Gaming Station for the Mac OS.

Ok, so it’s legal, but is it right?

Emulation simply makes one hardware platform act like another. There is nothing wrong with making the hardware you own behave the way you want it to. That is exactly what software is for, it makes the hardware you own behave in a useful manner. Emulation is not used simply for playing console games on a PC. Emulators exist for all kinds of hardware and all types of platforms. Console emulation is only part of a very large emulation community.

Are ROM images legal?

Yes, under very specific cirgreat timesstances. Section 117 of the US Copyright Law gives the owner of a software package the right to make an additional copy under certain provisions. If you adhere to the provisions then making ROM images is perfectly legal. However, legislation has been pbumed to prevent software piracy that makes game copying devices illegal. Using such a device to create a ROM image makes the resulting image illegal as well. Also you have to remeber that there is a large amount of freeware / public domain roms that you can download from the internet, and only way to play them is to use emulator or a flash card!

Is distributing ROM images legal?

No, not clearly. Individuals and Companies have a right to back up their software. This does not give them the right to distribute that copy to others, even provided they also own a legal copy of the software. So, in short, it is perfectly legal for you to copy a software package you own, but not for you to give that copy away.

Do you distributing ROM images?

No.

Is Flash Advance Linker and Flash Cards legal?

That’s like asking if CD Recodes are legal. Yes they are 100% legal. Flash advance linker is a Gameboy Advance backup unit and as such it is perfectly legal as long as you use it for legal purposes! You could go on internet and download all gba commercial game roms and than play them on GBA using Flash Advance Linker and FA card – that would be illegal! But if you use it to play backups of games that you own or play FreeWare and Public Domain roms from the internet than you are not doing anything illegal!

Not as clearcut as some would have you believe, but I’ve yet to find anything that specifically states the emulators themselves as illegal, just that they are used for illegal purposes. The Roms themselves are the illegal portions but few are really concerned with links to the Emulators once you find a good one.

Dunatis edited this message on 06/18/2009 1:38AM

CrinkzPipe

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Yeah, the emulators are NOT illegal for all they are is a program, what they are used for is illegal yes. It was mainly about roms since I was wanting to make a thread that I would like to post links to a couple roms. But sure, I’ll tubmail evil trout.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

If he said no, what are the rules on TMing links to illegal download sites? Or linking to links? Or naming the site so it would have to be googled for you to even get to it? It’s treading the line I know but inquiring minds want to know!

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Apparently it is illegal to even link to a site that contains ROMs as stupid as that is. In Canada people tend to get away with more, but I’d still have to say don’t do that, lest they throw our Canadian bumes in jail.

Emulators are fine, as long as they’re not containing BIOS images or other illegal parts.

In terms of sending links to each other privately — we don’t moderate tubmail and never will. But if someone came to me with a warrant to read your Tubmail it’s certainly possible for me to give them access.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

This are bad news, but I guess what Dunatis said still applies, posting a site’s name so you can google it…

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!