Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho Regarding "dupe" threads.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

So I see this all the time. A thread closed because there was some thread awhile ago about the same thing. I get it when it is something topical, for example multiple threads within a couple days about a new mechanic or item or a game change.

This thread was just closed: http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/36376-code-breaker-epeen

I’m wondering why it is so horrible to have a new discussion about something that was last discussed a year ago? Why would we want to direct those who are trying to solve a little in game puzzle to a thread that gives the answers?

Even for topics that aren’t like the Haxlrose thing, why is it preferred to necro a thread that is months, and at this point possibly a year+ old? Often those topics are using out of date info anyway. Log in to see images!

It’s not like Game Discussion is hopping with awesome active topics.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I do it to keep the forums clean, and to remind people to Search before asking questions.

Odalisque

Avatar: 24438 2011-07-31 00:23:47 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 40 Emo Kid

DAAAAAAANG, SHE FLY

I agree with scully. As a mod on another forum, I will close threads and redirect people regarding topics that have been discussed recently or those who have just one answer. But in cases like this where there is an actual discussion going on, it seems silly to defer someone to an old discussion in which the people involved are either long gone or no longer interested.

(modsbum Log in to see images!

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

So do you just leave all those old threads out there, clogging up the forum, or do you delete the old ones?

markchd

Avatar: 12369 2010-01-24 16:26:11 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

Craves Power like it's Crystal Pepsi

It is my opinion that the old thread has historical value. XOR 255 indeed. I love re-reading that one. However, I was grooving on watching the new folks puzzle it out. It’s a judgment call, and I glad I didn’t have to make it.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I dunno. I think the war against spam and clogged posts is better waged elsewhere than keeping people from making a new thread about a year-old topic.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I tend to think that if people are actually having a fun, productive discussion, it’s a waste to close the thread, even if people had a similar discussion six months ago. It’s one thing when there are multiple active threads on the same topic at once, or if the topic is a pure “What’s this thing I didn’t bother to search for?” By the time a real discussion has started, though, it’s probably best to let that discussion go. Necroing an ancient thread so that people who weren’t around for the original can talk about it is… meh.

TL;DR: There’s few enough interesting active discussions, might as well take what we can get. If several people are interested, it can’t hurt that much to leave it be.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

TBH. Who cares if the forum is cluttered, if it’s cluttered with topics relateing to the forum?

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

With a choice between no clutter and this place having a little more vitality, I’d say encouraging the latter would be the priority, though as mentioned there’s a limit based on how recent the dupe thread is.

Odalisque

Avatar: 24438 2011-07-31 00:23:47 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 40 Emo Kid

DAAAAAAANG, SHE FLY

MC Banhammer Posted:

So do you just leave all those old threads out there, clogging up the forum, or do you delete the old ones?

I think your definition of clogging is off. I see the old threads as settling to the bottom of the forum. They aren’t preventing new discussions from happening or older posts from being found. I don’t see the problem.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Odalisque Posted:

I think your definition of clogging is off. I see the old threads as settling to the bottom of the forum. They aren’t preventing new discussions from happening or older posts from being found. I don’t see the problem.

I could see it if we were talking about relatively contemporary threads. Like, if there’s a bug, and I start a thread about it today, then in two days, someone else starts a thread about the same bug while people are still replying to mine, and while the explanation and the announcement about a correction are already in my thread, then, yeah, it’s just clogging up the forums and confusing people.

On the other hand, if it’s a post no one has replied to in a year, I don’t see it as distracting or “clogging” to start a new discussion on the topic. The only exception I can think of is “Someone asks a question that’s already been answered 20 times, and thus can’t spark a discussion.” Even in that case, though, if it moves past that into fertile territory… I say let it live.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

I can understand if someone started a thread 2 days ago ****ing about a bug and someone else starts one saying the same thing. (EDIT: post above mine said the same thing Log in to see images!)

I started a thread a while back asking how people discovered forumwarz, and it was closed as a “dupe” and redirected to a thread that I believe was started in 2007.

What was the point of closing it?

kittiejenn edited this message on 06/03/2009 10:32PM

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

Since from what I gather a closing thread feature is on the to do list, why not make threads automatically close after a couple of months of inactivity?

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

the Pro Posted:

Since from what I gather a closing thread feature is on the to do list, why not make threads automatically close after a couple of months of inactivity?

Because in rare cases the thread ends up being very funny and FoWed. Should be a “closed thread” section that isn’t the CoS.

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

CrinkzPipe Posted:

Because in rare cases the thread ends up being very funny and FoWed. Should be a “closed thread” section that isn’t the CoS.

Well, maybe in RP. In non-RP, threads from the stone age shouldn’t be bumped as more often than not they contain lots of posts that aren’t applicable to the current situation = clutter. Besides, closed threads wouldn’t disappear, they’d just never be bumped again.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Several people have mentioned a balance rather than an all or nothing sort of thing.

Nothing wrong with discussing something that was discussed a month ago, after all it is new for new players and at times new things are discovered.

However, we don’t need 5 threads created within a week about a current topic. It is absolutely much more helpful to conversation to close the extras and redirect people.

You know, a merge threads, along with the split threads that you’ve been asking for, would be a wonderful addition. It would help prevent good thoughts from being lost in the shuffle.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!