Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Ban Me Forumbuildr: PAY OUT SUX!!

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

plk Posted:

It could be a pretty attractive thing to new players, who don’t have much flezz, though. Get them hooked by giving them the flezz they need at a time when it’s useful and they’ll continue to play after that amount of flezz loses its usefulness. Basically, think like a drug pusher.

This would be the only reason I could see raising the payouts for. Of course they would have to be adjust not to a level that is useful to a player who is finished with the game, like is being proposed. Rather they should be inflated in accordance with being useful to the new players. It would also be helpful if there was a better advertisement of forumbuildr to the new players, like there is for incit.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Why a curve of diminishing usefulness? Why not scale prizes to level? Just a thought.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Why a curve of diminishing usefulness? Why not scale prizes to level? Just a thought.

because the idea is to attract people who are new and might be good at it, at least as far as i can tell

Amy Rose

Avatar: 169456 Mon May 25 19:27:23 -0400 2009

Level 27 Permanoob

Im realy a lesbien with a male reproductive organ lolololol

Make it so that you get a nuber of flezz determined by your own level, i. e. you get x*[n^(-2)] where x is a fixed amount, depending on the task, and n is your level. So, it would fall down to a point where the reward is a mere pittance to someone at level 20 or higher, where you already have most attacks, but it would be something nice for people below Lv. 10, and 10… well’, i’ve been rambling, but you get the idea.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Actually, I’d say it should scale with level, but decreasingly so. IE, it should be a good incentive for lower level characters to get hooked, a decent incentive for mid-game players to keep at it, and then a minor source of income for endgame.

What you have to remember is, the more you play buildr, the more submissions you get. Not only do you theoretically hone your skill, you have more chances to win more submissions. That means a low-level player with his 7 subs needs to make good money on one submission. A higher level lifelong-buildrer with 100 subs doesn’t need to make a lot on each individual sub, on top of the dom advantage.

My big concern with incentivizing “wins” in buildr is that it encourages not just submitting, but “competitive voting.” Right now, there’s no real incentive not to just downvote the hell out of everything you see to “improve your chances,” beyond, y’know, not being a douchebag and wanting funny forums.

Amy Rose

Avatar: 169456 Mon May 25 19:27:23 -0400 2009

Level 27 Permanoob

Im realy a lesbien with a male reproductive organ lolololol

Take away the flezz reward. It’s pretty useless, and you can make much more money just by pwning the forums instead of making them. Make it something that only those who really care about the game can use.

Mike Myers

Avatar: 84994 Tue Jan 20 01:00:51 -0500 2009

Level 35 Permanoob

“Kapitan Stupidska”

Samildanach Posted:

Actually, I’d say it should scale with level, but decreasingly so. IE, it should be a good incentive for lower level characters to get hooked, a decent incentive for mid-game players to keep at it, and then a minor source of income for endgame.

What you have to remember is, the more you play buildr, the more submissions you get. Not only do you theoretically hone your skill, you have more chances to win more submissions. That means a low-level player with his 7 subs needs to make good money on one submission. A higher level lifelong-buildrer with 100 subs doesn’t need to make a lot on each individual sub, on top of the dom advantage.

My big concern with incentivizing “wins” in buildr is that it encourages not just submitting, but “competitive voting.” Right now, there’s no real incentive not to just downvote the hell out of everything you see to “improve your chances,” beyond, y’know, not being a douchebag and wanting funny forums.

Except what you’re forgetting is that there already IS a diminishing scale of payouts by level. I guarantee that 1,500 Flezz means more to a level 10 than it does to me, regardless of whether you make it 150 Flezz for me instead just cuz I’m “maxed.” 0, 150, or 1500, it’s all equally useless to anyone above level 25.

I don’t quite get why people think that incenting players to compete for prizes equals worse submissions.

By my bumumption, usually people trying to win something try to perform better.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Mike Myers Posted:

Truth

And MORE people trying to win will have better odds at something good turning up just from the law of averages. It will mean that there will be more submissions to sift through but you won’t even have to, since there will be more people there to look at them in the first place and the top rated ones show up on the front page anyways.

Not that that always means anything.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Anyone else remember when the payouts were only like 25?

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

Mike Myers Posted:

Except what you’re forgetting is that there already IS a diminishing scale of payouts by level.

I forgot nothing. It’s a flat amount. That’s not “scaled”. It’s less useful at a higher level, but not by calculation. Further, if you start taking part at a lower level, and you don’t suck, your number of possible submissions will increase, increasing the odds of you getting multiple payouts. Hence, intentional scaling, on the idea that a newbie should feel like they got a useful reward for getting one of their 7 submissions accepted, while at the same time not letting someone overtake the Flezz leaderboard because they regularly get a dozen or more of their hundred submissions accepted.

I don’t quite get why people think that incenting players to compete for prizes equals worse submissions.

By my bumumption, usually people trying to win something try to perform better.

Because a greater quantity of submissions does not necessarily imply a greater quality. It only means wading through even more submissions looking for the funny ones. Further, there are any number of people who, trying their absolute best, are still not as funny as the worst idea of other posters. There’s a certain level of diminishing returns, where roping in more players will actually just reduce the percentage of people involved who are actually funny.

Frankly, if you’ve got the gift for it, odds are you already submit to forumbuildr for scoops and fun and score. While I’m sure there are some people out there with potential who don’t submit, offering increased rewards isn’t as likely to bring them in as it is to flood the submission lists with crap and encourage more gaming the system for those rewards, by people who aren’t funny but want the stuff that comes with winning.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Samildanach Posted:

Because a greater quantity of submissions does not necessarily imply a greater quality. It only means wading through even more submissions looking for the funny ones. Further, there are any number of people who, trying their absolute best, are still not as funny as the worst idea of other posters. There’s a certain level of diminishing returns, where roping in more players will actually just reduce the percentage of people involved who are actually funny.

Except people who compete try harder when there is something on the line.

When you have your little league baseball game where everyone wins, they’re not going to try as hard as the kids who are gonna be given trophies. I’m going to try a lot harder in clbum if my grade is on the line than if it’s there’s nothing to gain.

Save the handful (literally, handful) of players who would do this for fun without reward, no one else would try.

I guarantee you if there weren’t rewards in the form of peen/scoops I wouldn’t waste my time on this. Take it from someone who’s been buildring for over 8 months. I don’t do it for love of the craft.

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

Shii Posted:

Except people who compete try harder when there is something on the line.

When you have your little league baseball game where everyone wins, they’re not going to try as hard as the kids who are gonna be given trophies. I’m going to try a lot harder in clbum if my grade is on the line than if it’s there’s nothing to gain.

Save the handful (literally, handful) of players who would do this for fun without reward, no one else would try.

I guarantee you if there weren’t rewards in the form of peen/scoops I wouldn’t waste my time on this. Take it from someone who’s been buildring for over 8 months. I don’t do it for love of the craft.

Except, once again, despite modern American paradigms, trying hard at something doesn’t really equate to being good at it. Spending a lot of time doing something doesn’t necessarily equate to being good at it. There are peens, and there’s chocolate scoops. Do we really need more of a flezz payout? I’m not at level cap yet, and I already have more flezz than I really need. I don’t feel any drive to get more. Really, if the rewards at level 35 were even 35 times higher than current rewards (~17k per idea), would that suddenly make your submissions more competitive? Would what you throw out in buildr get even twice as good because now more Flezz was on the line? Would people with good ideas who aren’t moved by dom or peen suddenly start dropping gems for that 20k? Or would it really just slowly pour more flezz into an economy that has no real use for it, mainly into the pockets of people who were already playing anyway?

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Samildanach Posted:

Except, once again, despite modern American paradigms, trying hard at something doesn’t really equate to being good at it. Spending a lot of time doing something doesn’t necessarily equate to being good at it. There are peens, and there’s chocolate scoops. Do we really need more of a flezz payout? I’m not at level cap yet, and I already have more flezz than I really need. I don’t feel any drive to get more. Really, if the rewards at level 35 were even 35 times higher than current rewards (~17k per idea), would that suddenly make your submissions more competitive? Would what you throw out in buildr get even twice as good because now more Flezz was on the line? Would people with good ideas who aren’t moved by dom or peen suddenly start dropping gems for that 20k? Or would it really just slowly pour more flezz into an economy that has no real use for it, mainly into the pockets of people who were already playing anyway?

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

Actually, if it were 17k I might not just use all my subs right away and wait to see if I can come up with any more clever idea, but I am also poor as hell and going for the Bidder e-peen which keeps me skimming rock bottom.

That being said, I am one of the handful of people who would actually continue with 0 rewards because I am a narcissist who sits around giggling and clapping his hands like a retard when I see myself succeed at any sort of contest.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!