Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho Are we alone in the universe?

uhh

Level 16 Re-Re

DarkDespair5 Posted:

”Life” (in the sense of simple, replicating molecules) *has* been spontaneously generated under early earth conditions in a lab. These conditions are unlikely, but not impossible in a short time span. But we’re talking billions of years. This molecule was not made of conventional DNA or RNA, either. It shows that the universe can have more than one type of life-forming reaction. How about viruses? Some are so simple they have almost no genome. They are not technically considered “alive”, but they ARE evolving particles nonetheless. Not all mutations would kill a bacterium, and a wrongly placed DNA nucleotide could be beneficial.

Do you really believe the endless molecular collisions in space would not result in at least *one* durable replicating biomolecule?

Earth is 4.6 billion years old. The universe must be even older. Easily, at least 1000 reactions to create life happened per year. Thus, over such a long period of time, possibly trillions of such reactions have occurred, making it very likely that at least of them produced life.

if my math is correct 2^1,000,000,000,000 > 10^166,000. Thus, the formation of life is very likely.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

uhh Posted:

Earth is 4.6 billion years old. The universe must be even older. Easily, at least 1000 reactions to create life happened per year. Thus, over such a long period of time, possibly trillions of such reactions have occurred, making it very likely that at least of them produced life.

if my math is correct 2^1,000,000,000,000 > 10^166,000. Thus, the formation of life is very likely.

Your math is not correct.

I’m not sure where the “two” is coming from, but you’re not doing it right anyway. If you have a bag with 300 numbers in it, the probability of pulling them all out in order isn’t 1x10^300. You don’t raise it by a power of 10 for every new trial.

uhh

Level 16 Re-Re

Shii Posted:

Your math is not correct.

I’m not sure where the “two” is coming from, but you’re not doing it right anyway. If you have a bag with 300 numbers in it, the probability of pulling them all out in order isn’t 1x10^300. You don’t raise it by a power of 10 for every new trial.

Shii Posted:

Scientifically speaking, the probability that random amino acids combined in the perfect pattern to create a functioning single-cell eukaryotic bacterium is something to the order of 1 x 10^166,000, according to an article on the subject I read a while back.

uhh

Level 16 Re-Re

For such a reaction, I can think of two outcomes:

1. life is created

2. life isn’t created.

so the chance that no life is created is (1/2)^1,000,000,000 which is too small.

The chance that life is created = 1 – (1/2)^1,000,000,000 which effectively equals 1.

——————————————

edit: i’m going to bed, so i’ll see your rebumal in the morning

uhh edited this message on 05/30/2009 2:32AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

uhh Posted:

For such a reaction, I can think of two outcomes:

1. life is created

2. life isn’t created.

so the chance that no life is created is (1/2)^1,000,000,000 which is too small.

The chance that life is created = 1 – (1/2)^1,000,000,000 which effectively equals 1.

——————————————

edit: i’m going to bed, so i’ll see your rebumal in the morning

I think in order to have a rebumal there needs to be something to “rebum.” As it stands, you’re basically bending mathematics over your knee and spanking it.

Firstly, you make up your own arbitrary numbers to support your points based on your bumumptions about how many reactions are taking place. Then, you calculate those arbitrary numbers wrongly anyway.

My number is based on the number of letters of DNA that make up the simplest single-cell bacterium; it’s not an bumumption or anything close to arbitrary. When you have something approaching concrete that didn’t just come out of your imagination, then we can have a debate.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Inertia Posted:

http://talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html#Search

I’m willing to admit the articles I’d read on the subject are possibly mis-informed as well; however, I am hesitant to accept this person’s research because he’s acting as if a peptide ligase sequence = life.

A probiotic enzyme chain is not life. Life is far, far more staggeringly complex. Furthermore, if it was so easy to generate life by using these self-replicating peptide sequences, I’m sure it would’ve been done by now. Again, organic biotic molecules and peptide chains do not constitute life. And until the peptides can somehow make the huge jump from molecule sequences to living, reproducing life, I’m unwilling to bridge my stance.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

And I’m willing to admit that I understand not one sentence in that article

Lama glama

Avatar: 169571 Wed Jun 03 16:11:47 -0400 2009

Level 35 Permanoob

“Kapitan Stupidska”

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

*Picture*

I’m going to go with “no”

Edit: Image is totally worth the click

Whoa! Suddenly I feel so small.

And yes, I do believe that we aren’t alone in here.

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

Catt although Posted:

My thought is we’re not alone, but probably so far away from anybody else that it’s effectively the same thing as being alone.

This, pretty much.

Ricket

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Okay, so, I could write a big long post explaining why that probability statement is invalid (and there are many reasons that have been somewhat covered so far, and are well covered in Inertia’s link), but I won’t. Instead, I’ll just state that if a god created us, and the rest of the universe, and we’re the only life in it, that’s a whole lot of wasted space, just up there to look pretty. Why do planets exist around other stars, if a god made it? Any reason other than “to give astronomers something to look for”?

Really, I think it’d make much more sense for a deity only interested in humans to put us in a snowglobe-like enclosure, rather than this gigantic universe, billions of light years across.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Ricket Posted:

Okay, so, I could write a big long post explaining why that probability statement is invalid (and there are many reasons that have been somewhat covered so far, and are well covered in Inertia’s link), but I won’t. Instead, I’ll just state that if a god created us, and the rest of the universe, and we’re the only life in it, that’s a whole lot of wasted space, just up there to look pretty. Why do planets exist around other stars, if a god made it? Any reason other than “to give astronomers something to look for”?

Really, I think it’d make much more sense for a deity only interested in humans to put us in a snowglobe-like enclosure, rather than this gigantic universe, billions of light years across.

I dunno; it might just look big to us. I’m sure it’s pretty snow-globey to God. :3

Ricket

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Shii Posted:

I dunno; it might just look big to us. I’m sure it’s pretty snow-globey to God. :3

Lemme try this again.

You’ve got this single snow speck that you love, in a snowglobe. It’s your favorite, you’ve named it, you created it special, drawn little people on it through the use of a microscope and tiny tools, and really, the only reason for the snowglobe to exist at all, is that speck. Yet, you’ve also placed thousands of other specks inside the snowglobe, each remarkable similar to your speck. Why?

Ricket edited this message on 05/30/2009 4:50AM

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Inertia Posted:

And I’m willing to admit that I understand not one sentence in that article

Admittedly, this is well beyond my area of expertise, but I’ll weigh in with my thoughts.

Basically the article is the polar opposite of the creationists “1 x 10^1000000000000etc” arguement. I stopped reading after they claimed that because the ocean had a definite volume and an estimated concentration of 10^-6M of amino acids, that there was a definite (x mol/liter)*y liters= z moles of starting material available.

In reality, at such a low concentration, you need to worry much more about the frequency of collisions of molecules, and whether these collisions possess enough energy to initiate a reaction. The big picture that many biologists seem to miss out on is that the entire universe is governed by energy. Quite literally, without energy, nothing can happen. This might be my chemistry bias showing through, but just because something seems like it could happen doesn’t mean it actually can and will happen. The combination of amino acids into peptides is not exactly a thermodynamically taxing reaction pathway, but you still need the parts present in a large enough concentration with enough energy for anything productive to happen. Even then, with the conditions we speculate existed on the early Earth, there would be plenty of competing destructive reaction pathways to greatly reduce the realistic “odds” of abiogenesis.

Here’s a fantastic quote from this gibberish article

Fundy evolutionist are just as bad as creationists Posted:

Yes, one kilogram of the amino acid arginine has 2.85 x 1024 molecules in it (that’s well over a billion billion); a tonne of arginine has 2.85 x 1027 molecules. If you took a semi-trailer load of each amino acid and dumped it into a medium size lake, you would have enough molecules to generate our particular replicator in a few tens of years, given that you can make 55 amino acid long proteins in 1 to 2 weeks

2.85 x 10^24 is certainly a large number, but for those of us who aren’t ****tarded, we recognize that that is about 5 moles or so of arginine. Not exactly an overwhelming thought, and certainly not enough of this essential building block to say “oh billions of billions of molecules surely some of them must have reacted in a way to form life”

Again, this is completely out of my area, and I know I’m not as informed as many other people on this topic, but rudimentary chemical kinetics seems to call much of the “claims” of that article into question.

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

Ricket Posted:

Lemme try this again.

You’ve got this single snow speck that you love, in a snowglobe. It’s your favorite, you’ve named it, you created it special, drawn little people on it through the use of a microscope and tiny tools, and really, the only reason for the snowglobe to exist at all, is that speck. Yet, you’ve also placed thousands of other specks inside the snowglobe, each remarkable similar to your speck. Why?

The entire concept of a “God” is, by definition, beyond human understanding. Whether you’re a devout religious person trying to reconcile the reality of a vast world and universe with the idea of a creator with a plan, or an atheist/agnostic/whatever just toying with the idea of a supreme being, this is one of the hardest concepts to come to grips with. I truly believe that anyone who has a definite answer about “God” is simply choosing to just not think about it.

Ricket

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Hobart Bliggity Posted:

The entire concept of a “God” is, by definition, beyond human understanding. Whether you’re a devout religious person trying to reconcile the reality of a vast world and universe with the idea of a creator with a plan, or an atheist/agnostic/whatever just toying with the idea of a supreme being, this is one of the hardest concepts to come to grips with. I truly believe that anyone who has a definite answer about “God” is simply choosing to just not think about it.

As long as “God is beyond human understanding” isn’t followed by ”...but I know what God wants/he did X, Y and Z” I’m fine with that position. Though I wouldn’t say “God is beyond human understanding” is accurate for the gods of many major religions, as followers seem to have a pretty good grasp on their concept of their god, and surely, if you think a god created the universe, you have at least a little bit of understanding as to why.

Ricket edited this message on 05/30/2009 5:15AM

Crinkz

Avatar: 165830 Sun Mar 22 02:17:42 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Hi, just wanting Crinkz to spend yet another BP to try and copy me. -CrinkzPipe

Ricket Posted:

As long as “God is beyond human understanding” isn’t followed by ”...but I know what God wants/he did X, Y and Z” I’m fine with that position. Though I wouldn’t say “God is beyond human understanding” is accurate for the gods of many major religions, as followers seem to have a pretty good grasp on their concept of their god, and surely, if you think a god created the universe, you have at least a little bit of understanding as to why.

I’m saying more form/function/procedure unknowable. If any of the gods of major religions are the one true God, then they have revealed their reasoning and intentions through various means, but the how and why are still essentially clouded.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Does it *matter* if we’re alone in the universe or not? Since even if we’re not any life outside Earth is probably lightyears away. I’d be really surprised if we came up with travel speeds rivaling “Mbum Effect”. By that same token, does it matter if a god exists or not, since we can’t determine its characteristics?

This is of course outside philosophical/academic knowledge.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 06/01/2009 9:57PM

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

bumume a god exists.

We don’t know his purpose. We don’t know his identity. We don’t know his form. If there is no way to tell, then what is the point in living a life consistent with a particular “god” that has an insignificant chance of actually existing because of all the other possibilities?

i.e. Should we care outside academia what is outside our realm of knowledge?

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

No, I don’t think we’re alone in the universe. Neither I think we’re in the only universe.

We are nothing special, Earth is orbiting the sun, which is by far not the center of our galaxy, and so on.

For a race of humans that hasn’t left the planet (except some astronauts), we’ve discovered a lot already. The whole concept of matter and time, combining into something like a universe is, like famous Vulcan said, fascinating.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!