Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho Are we alone in the universe?

Indiana Jonas

Avatar: 13850 2014-12-19 09:36:26 -0500

[At Least I Never M-
ade A Failure Of A-
Website
]

Level 35 Troll

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WW

I’m going to go with “no”

Edit: Image is totally worth the click

Indiana Jonas edited this message on 05/28/2009 4:29AM

nicksdrago0

Level 28 Hacker

“1337”

no. if we were the ONLY life on a SINGLE planet out of MORE THAN BILLIONS of solar systems that contain a star and 6ish planets each (all in a single galaxy in which theres are thousands of)that would be slightly very special.

Claine

Avatar: 124948 Tue Feb 24 04:07:52 -0500 2009

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Uuuugh that picture. Mind blown.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Great picture. I’m gonna read more about the blue binary star tomorrow.

momentumener-
gy

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

there’s a better animated gif version of that picture that doesn’t have the horrendous jpeg artifact

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

My thought is we’re not alone, but probably so far away from anybody else that it’s effectively the same thing as being alone.

momentumener-
gy

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Also the probability of life is probably as mind boggling if not more than the size of the universe imo

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

momentumenergy Posted:

Also the probability of life is probably as mind boggling if not more than the size of the universe imo

earth is a statistically improbable planet. There were very specific things that had to happen to make it all work. Now, the universe is a big place, so its kind of likely that maybe it would happen again. But in this galaxy or this time period? who can really say. And although the size of the universe may be infinite, the matter in it is not.

Although there are some people who believe that the universe could not exist without someone to observe it anyway, so idk really.

The Slug Lord

Avatar: 50004 2012-12-31 04:12:46 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 62 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

Ill just like to take this thread to say that in 2012 (end of the world year) the 10th planet in the solar system – Planet Nibiru (a.k.a. Planet X) will go past earth on it’s 3,600 year orbit. However, due to the gravitational force of the other plannets etc blah blah blah. It will crash into the earth. This event has already happened several million years ago (the meterorite that wiped out the dinosaurs) and created the asteroid belt. Nibiru is actually inhabited by aliens who after the last orbit, appeared on Earth and became the ancient gods known as the Anunannki/Nefilim (Ancient Mesopotamiaian gods). Two of these gods – Enki and Enlil became known as God and the Devil, however no one can tell which is which (I belive Enki is God).

So YES we are not alone in the universe

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 25677 Tue Mar 31 17:59:16 -0400 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

purchace championchips

lachybus Posted:

Ill just like to take this thread to say that in 2012 (end of the world year) the 10th planet in the solar system – Planet Nibiru (a.k.a. Planet X) will go past earth on it’s 3,600 year orbit. However, due to the gravitational force of the other plannets etc blah blah blah. It will crash into the earth. This event has already happened several million years ago (the meterorite that wiped out the dinosaurs) and created the asteroid belt. Nibiru is actually inhabited by aliens who after the last orbit, appeared on Earth and became the ancient gods known as the Anunannki/Nefilim (Ancient Mesopotamiaian gods). Two of these gods – Enki and Enlil became known as God and the Devil, however no one can tell which is which (I belive Enki is God).

Wow.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

lachybus Posted:

I’m gonna pretend that I’m positive you’re just being stupid.

I personally believe that if life has come into being all on its random own on earth, that the odds are so overwhelmingly insignificant that there is virtually no possible way for it ever to happen again. Scientifically speaking, the probability that random amino acids combined in the perfect pattern to create a functioning single-cell eukaryotic bacterium is something to the order of 1 x 10^166,000, according to an article on the subject I read a while back.

And if, as I personally believe, a creator God made life on earth, then who is to know if He deemed anywhere else fit for life as well?

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Insignificant chance becomes significant for large values of N.

The universe is so immense the chances of another lifeform are high, not low.

Probability(Event) -> infinity as time approaches infinity.

(Large Universe) X (Large amount of time) X (Small probability of an independent event) == (Large probability of a single event)

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 05/30/2009 1:41AM

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Insignificant chance becomes significant for large values of N.

The universe is so immense the chances of another lifeform are high, not low.

Probability(Event) -> infinity as time approaches infinity.

Yeh, but you do realize that 15 billion years equals 15 x 10^9, right? That’s not even remotely on the same magnitude as 1 x 10^166,000.

To give you an idea of how enormous that number is, if you took a cross-section of the universe (i.e. a flat plane with it’s width/length) the number of square inches inside it are roughly 1 x 10^34.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii, what are the chances you’ll roll a million heads in a row? Close to zero right?

What if a billion people flip those coins for billions of years? The chances are much better.

See where the analogy of “large universe, long time” comes in?

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

DarkDespair5 Posted:

Shii, what are the chances you’ll roll a million heads in a row? Close to zero right?

What if a billion people flip those coins for billions of years? The chances are much better.

See where the analogy of “large universe, long time” comes in?

See where the analogy of “still not even close to the same ballpark numerically” comes in?

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

Yeh, but you do realize that 15 billion years equals 15 x 10^9, right? That’s not even remotely on the same magnitude as 1 x 10^166,000.

To give you an idea of how enormous that number is, if you took a cross-section of the universe (i.e. a flat plane with it’s width/length) the number of square inches inside it are roughly 1 x 10^34.

So the universe is a fertile field with many possible random collisions that result in life. Great.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

See where the analogy of “still not even close to the same ballpark numerically” comes in?

The chance of an independent event occurring equals event chance (i.e. coin flips) times time (more probability events)

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

DarkDespair5 Posted:

The chance of an independent event occurring equals event chance (i.e. coin flips) times time (more probability events)

I understand that; thusly why the probability of the random acids combining correctly being so completely unfathomable. The simplest eukaryotic bacterium still has thousands and thousands of letters of DNA to it; it only takes one being placed wrongly to potentially kill it.

You take the probability of each independant acid combining correctly, with a very sparse amount of stimuli that can make this occur (obviously sparse, since science has proven repeatedly life doesn’t spntaneously generate in a lab) and the billion years or so that it took to happen suddenly look very insignificant indeed.

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Hmm…let me think about that.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 05/30/2009 1:53AM

DarkDespair5

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Shii Posted:

I understand that; thusly why the probability of the random acids combining correctly being so completely unfathomable. The simplest eukaryotic bacterium still has thousands and thousands of letters of DNA to it; it only takes one being placed wrongly to potentially kill it.

You take the probability of each independant acid combining correctly, with a very sparse amount of stimuli that can make this occur (obviously sparse, since science has proven repeatedly life doesn’t spntaneously generate in a lab) and the billion years or so that it took to happen suddenly look very insignificant indeed.

“Life” (in the sense of simple, replicating molecules) *has* been spontaneously generated under early earth conditions in a lab. These conditions are unlikely, but not impossible in a short time span. But we’re talking billions of years. This molecule was not made of conventional DNA or RNA, either. It shows that the universe can have more than one type of life-forming reaction. How about viruses? Some are so simple they have almost no genome. They are not technically considered “alive”, but they ARE evolving particles nonetheless. Not all mutations would kill a bacterium, and a wrongly placed DNA nucleotide could be beneficial.

Do you really believe the endless molecular collisions in space would not result in at least *one* durable replicating biomolecule?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!