Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Old(er) players talk about the old days

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

MC Banhammer Posted:

We used to dial our phones. Do kids these days even know why the term is “dial”?

The were on cords, too. You couldn’t walk far from them and continue talking to someone. And if you called and they were busy, there was no such thing as “call waiting”. You could also prank call people because they had no idea who was calling them — no caller ID.

And we didn’t even own the phones – they were actually owned by the (only) phone company, and they charged us monthly for them. Long distance calls were a significant amount of money.

Prank calling owned. So did ~~going outside~~. In the olden days when you were ****ing off your parents, they threw you outside and told you to run off your extra energy instead of sitting you down in front of a video game. And that’s why you’re fat! Log in to see images!

But I don’t know what you mean by “the phone companies owned the phones,” unless you’re talking about payphones.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I typed this message via an elaborate set of punch cards fed into my two-room wide computer.

MasterHaxxor

Level 25 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

All this talk about the old days and phones reminded me of this

In the olden days, someone made a thing called “motivational posters.” Very soon after, someone parodied them… THESE WERE IN PRINT FORM!!! Log in to see images!

10 years later, these were still popular among 15 yo’s on the internet, except without any sense of humor. THe more you know.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

TV channels actually stopped broadcasting for some hours at night. You couldn’t watch TV – hard to imagine nowadays.

Dirt_E_ATM

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

This topic reminded me of this:

MasterHaxxor

Level 25 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Dirt_E_ATM Posted:

This topic reminded me of this:

Good old dial up, I will always be reminded of you when my sinuses are being bastards, and I hear that high pitched whistle in my head (but not when I get that muffled, fuzzy feeling and get really dizzy, that’s not anything like dial up).

heirloom

Avatar: 47475 2015-07-17 09:14:26 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 8 Emo Kid

Hey this is Professor Commie PhD. I am a total **** stain.

haha, remember when it took 17.2 seconds to get through airport security?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

If you had a favorite movie, once it left the theater, in order to see it again, you’d have to hope one of the three television networks would air it eventually. But if you couldn’t be in front of the TV when it (or your favorite show, or a Christmas special) actually aired, you’d miss it entirely.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

RP used to be respected and enjoyed.

Wait what…

I’m too young to have been part of the olden days. I got a computer when i was 8 and was afraid to touch it, then an N64 when i was 10 or 12.

didn’t have internet access at home until i was at least 14.

i’m 19 fyi.

my parents were stupid.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

didn’t have internet access at home until i was at least 14.

I never had internet access at home. The internet wasn’t invented until long after I moved out.

I’ve had internet since 1993.

We had a VCR and it had a long cord that had a switch at the end that switched from record/stop recording

MasterHaxxor

Level 25 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

MC Banhammer Posted:

I never had internet access at home. The internet wasn’t invented until long after I moved out.

are you sure your head is a hammer and not some kind of dinosaur?

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

When I was four or five, my parents bought a microwave. This thing was enormous, big enough to cook a 20lb turkey. All the neighbors came over to marvel at it since we were the first people with one on the block.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

MasterHaxxor Posted:

Good old dial up, I will always be reminded of you when my sinuses are being bastards, and I hear that high pitched whistle in my head (but not when I get that muffled, fuzzy feeling and get really dizzy, that’s not anything like dial up).

I could imitate the tones almost perfectly… and could tell from the tones if I was actually going to connect or not.

9600 baud modem… and compuserve

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

spacekadt Posted:

I could imitate the tones almost perfectly… and could tell from the tones if I was actually going to connect or not.

I remember dial-up, the tones were annoying as ****, it took really long for it to connect and was so slow that I’d never imagine loading a youtube video or something that “big”.

I had a computer that didn’t even manage to play an mp3 song because it had so little ram and it’s harddrive won’t store a full album.

MasterHaxxor

Level 25 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

ChilePepino Posted:

I remember dial-up, the tones were annoying as ****, it took really long for it to connect and was so slow that I’d never imagine loading a youtube video or something that “big”.

I had a computer that didn’t even manage to play an mp3 song because it had so little ram and it’s harddrive won’t store a full album.

What did it run? MS-DOS 1.0?

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

MasterHaxxor Posted:

maybe i was exagerating a bit, but it couldn’t really play music. It ran on windows 95 I think.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

MasterHaxxor Posted:

I had my first computer long before Microsoft even existed. Let alone “MS-DOS”.

It had 48K RAM and a 5-1/4” floppy drive. Actually, two of those. We splurged.

It played the Scott Adams text adventures just fine.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!