Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art The ForumWarz Book Club: The Crying Of Lot 49 (Spoilers)

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

I have finished my second read through of The Crying Of Lot 49 today, and was wondering if anyone else has finished the book and is ready to discuss it. I’ll reserve my opinions and comments so as not to spoil anyone’s enjoyment of the book. Just in case someone finds this thread without noticing the spoiler tag.

However, if anyone is ready and willing to discuss, I’m ready.

I was going to add a poll to this thread, but I believe this book is to complex for a simple yes or no poll. Such a poll would have the potential of killing any in depth discussion.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

basically I’m not sure why a lot of things in the book happened. I’m probably going to have to re-read it, especially as we go through and discuss it. There’s so much of it to talk about I’m not sure where to start, I was kind of waiting for someone else who had finished it to pick a starting topic.

Good book overall though, it was really funny at parts and the whole thing was page turning, I only got my copy like 3 days ago. I really loved the name of the husband’s radio station, KCUF.

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

I did like the book, and found most of it pretty funny, but I had a big problem with the last third of it. I never really felt the desperation that influenced her thoughts and decisions. At the end, when she’s finally on the verge of discovery, I didn’t care. I missed the band, and the woman who would put on 3 pairs of pantyhose just to cheat in a game of strip 20 questions.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

I know what you mean, there was one point where the narrator just announced the word trystero, and introduced it as being the word to control her for the rest of the book, but I also never understood her true motivation to pursue the matter to its conclusion. Especially when every time she found a new lead or something, she would go out of her way to avoid it. Maybe that goes along with the idea that she was never meant to find the whole truth out, or was always to on the verge of discovering it like the epilepsy simile.

Her whole characterization did change for no apparent reason. All of sudden the people around her are changing, dying or just leaving. Perhaps that was the books summery means when it says she discovers herself or whatever. As for whether or not the whole was real, idk. The whole time I was kind of thinking schizophrenia in the back of my mind, like the people she talked to, and all the muted horns poping up everywhere was unlikely. After all, in the beginning she saw that uncle sam hallucination. But on the other hand I queestion if the author would have known enough about the disease to properly write about it, since Idk the status of schizophrenia research in 1965.

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

Good job starting the discussion, guys. I’ve been busy/lazy and I’m not quite done with the book yet. I’ve read it before, but I’m foggy on the details.

I forgot how funny this book could be. Mucho, the band, Mike Fallopian, Manny Di Preso a lawyer/actor in a pilot about Metzger the actor/lawyer, etc.

Books about conspiracy and mysterious goings-on NEVER have satisfying endings, I’ve found. I think the problem is the whole momentum of the book is based on “What the **** is going on, who are these people, and why is this happening?” It makes it interesting, it keeps you reading, because you want answers. The problem is the whole thing is interesting because it makes no sense or because the conspiracy seems so far reaching. If you explain it, it’s not as cool. If you brush it aside, you feel cheated. If the book decides to just accept it, then you feel at odds with the book because it’s fine with something that still mystifies you.

Just a few thoughts, though more on the sub-genre than the book itself. I’ll try to finish up the book soon.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

How do you imagine Oedipa Maas? For me, she looks like Julia Louis-Dreyfus

CoreyJess

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Aldo_Anything Posted:

How do you imagine Oedipa Maas? For me, she looks like Julia Louis-Dreyfus

I pictured her more as a ditsy blond kind of stereotype. She was actually the least interesting character for me. I found the husband and doctor to be much more interesting characters. Their scenes contained the humor I wish would have carried through the rest of the book. I also really enjoyed the interaction with the band.

The question is, if the guy at the front desk, and his friends, are gonna keep walking into the room while you’re having sex, don’t you find a different hotel?

Shishi

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I finished to book today. However I am still not sure what was going on. I started to read it at the gym while on the elliptical. I couldn’t get very far as it was impossible to read that way.

It almost seemed like the author was trying to outdo himself to see exactly how long of a run on sentence he could write. Made the book incredibly difficult to read since the end of many of the sentences didn’t seem to have anything to do with the beginning. The punctuation could also have been better.

Adapt mentioned schizophrenia, but I would say the author had it. The story was not cohesive.

“The question is, if the guy at the front desk, and his friends, are gonna keep walking into the room while you’re having sex, don’t you find a different hotel?”

One of the many problems. She is able to leave the Inverarity when she needs to, but is ok with sleeping in a closet they can’t even close the door to?

The night beginning the affair was another one, she didn’t even really seem to like him, then decides to have sex after the elaborate clothes thing? And really, who is gonna give somebody a second time when they were so pitiful that you fell asleep the first time.

The only thing that could have made out of it, to me, was if Pierce was the one coming to bid.

I have read other books that seemed disjointed, but usually they were trying to come across with some great truth, or message or something that just didn’t work. I didn’t see one here. Anyone else find one?

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

So, nobody’s really brought up genre or school for this book, which I find interesting.

I would clbumify this as postmodern academic fiction. This matters because, although academics will claim otherwise, there are many tropes and stylistic requirements that must be met in order for a book to be recognized and respected as such. Postmodernism is something of a dog-and-pony-show as far as style. It can frequently end up feeling like the writer is making the choices that they make simply to prove they can do some things. Case and point, the modest deployment of stream-of-consciousness narrative here. shishi’s post reminded me of that, since stream of consciousness is characterized by lengthy, punctuation free sections.

Other examples of style incorporated from other genres or sources would include the funny names (slapstick humor imo) and the elaborate conspiracy and her subsequent follow-up on it (detective fiction).

Thus, to academic critics, this book is a “tour de force”, and to many casual readers, it is a dense, incomprehensible mess.

Since putting things in context is popular in academics now, I just thought I’d add my take on the context of this book.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Shishi Posted:

I have read other books that seemed disjointed, but usually they were trying to come across with some great truth, or message or something that just didn’t work. I didn’t see one here. Anyone else find one?

This is true – and this is not true. Pynchon was already beyond the usual structure of a having a solution at the end of a book. Breaking those structures can mean, you won’t get a satisfying end at all. Just like life, some things end abruptly. I find this interesting.

Fortunato Posted:

I would clbumify this as postmodern academic fiction.

Other examples of style incorporated from other genres or sources would include the funny names (slapstick humor imo) and the elaborate conspiracy and her subsequent follow-up on it (detective fiction).

I’d like to add influences of surreal drama and road movies (in literal form).

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!