Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Bug - 2 Possible solution for downvoting which doesn't include eliminating it.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Once an idea hits -5, instead of deleting it from the system, why not move it to a “dead ideas” area where people can go and browse if they really feel like it and they have the option of upvoting. Once 10 (or just X) upvotes are received, they are revived and brought back to life as though they were just submitted except that those who’ve previously voted on it cannot do so again. Also if you have created the idea, you could spend a submission to revive it instead of having to re write it.

It would be away from the regular submissions but would save from mbumive downvoting while still allowing downvoting for players who vote legitimately.

In effect it would be similar to removing downvoting, except without the woman's genitals, rainbows for all feel of some sort of mother shaking her finger and telling us all to play nice, be friends and that “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I doubt anyone would ever go through them to vote.

To be honest, 9/10 ideas that end up there deserve it; while I see your point and it’d be nice to have some system where we can revive good ideas that get unfairly axed, I don’t think it would ever happen.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Mostly it would be for Itembuildr. I fully expect noone would use it for Forumbuildr except in rare bumhurt rage incidents of mbum downvoting for some reason… And there wouldn’t really be much of a need for it there, it would mostly be there for consistency.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

No. Just no.

The thing with itembuildr it’s 24 hours. There wouldn’t be enough time to allow this to be useful.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I suggested pretty much the same idea in the sticky thread about fixing itembuildr. It got pretty much no traction, and I can sort of see why. It might kind of help the Itembuildr issue – but it could just as easily lead to people nuking submissions to -50 anyway, unless downvotes no longer counted in that area… in which case, we might as well just remove downvotes anyway.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

You really don’t know how many mbum downvoters are out there do you. None of us truly can tell, but I’m pretty sure there’s waves and waves of them. So instead of getting voted out once we get it 5 times (bumuming we got 40 upvotes at all). And the whole time issue too.

Veeeeeron

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

My solution would be to make it so that you can only downvote one submission for every two submissions you have upvoted. This way the cream of the crap will still be removed, but it will prevent clans from having 5 or 6 people insta-nuke everything once voting opens.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

How about instead of downvoting, we have a staged elimination process, where the submissions which are getting the least votes are discarded throughout the day? Vote early on a large number of submissions (upvote or pbum) or vote later on a pre-filtered subset of submissions.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

How about instead of downvoting, we have a staged elimination process, where the submissions which are getting the least votes are discarded throughout the day? Vote early on a large number of submissions (upvote or pbum) or vote later on a pre-filtered subset of submissions.

meeeeeee you need to stop being right. Even though it fits you well you need to step aside and let others do it once in a while.

I could see a tiered system of half eliminated every 2 or 3 hours until you reach 3-7 entries, then they stay until the next item.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

He’s making the rest of us look bad! Not the greatest feat, but still…

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

**** you guys Log in to see images!

Sancdar Posted:

It has nothing to do with the picture.

Regarding the downvoting issue, perhaps a selection algorithm like the one used here? Given the smaller pool of ideas, a comparative system like this could work just fine. You could also cull the poorest rated submissions every couple hours and reset the ratings. Or, run this system until the last 6 or 8 hours of voting and then switch back to regular votes. I think it’s ridiculous that I got to see ONE submission between the two itembuildr categories this period.

http://forumwarz.com/discussions/view/33670-once-again

Sancdar edited this message on 06/17/2009 4:54PM

Balloon Posted:

You really don’t know how many mbum downvoters are out there do you. None of us truly can tell, but I’m pretty sure there’s waves and waves of them. So instead of getting voted out once we get it 5 times (bumuming we got 40 upvotes at all). And the whole time issue too.

+1 to your count (me)

Actually, I do upvote maybe 1 or 2 when I bother to go through them but I hate almost all submissions, including the winning ones.

Except I never look at itembuilder and only the forum one when I feel like making a joke submission

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Sancdar Posted:

**** you guys Log in to see images!

http://forumwarz.com/discussions/view/33670-once-again

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

Hooray for 17 threads about the same thing!

I mean, what kind of jackbumes keep making these threads? Oh shiii—-

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

Why don’t we just cut out the middleman and have a program randomly choose one, without all the voting and whining?

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

The problem I always have is that I don’t want to be a dirty downvoter, but I honestly hate the vast majority of submissions and want to do my part in sending them to the 7th netherhell of -5 score.

A different voting system might help solve the mbum-downvote problems to some degree, but in the end it’s likely always going to be the case that a lot of people just vote down everything they see, or everything that isn’t theirs, and most voting systems aren’t geared towards trollish voting strategy.

man-man edited this message on 06/18/2009 4:15PM

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Veeeeeron Posted:

My solution would be to make it so that you can only downvote one submission for every two submissions you have upvoted. This way the cream of the crap will still be removed, but it will prevent clans from having 5 or 6 people insta-nuke everything once voting opens.

I don’t agree, since most of the submissions are bad. The focus should be on preventing trash from getting published rather trying to get the best submission published. This is because if we focus on the latter, i.e. a very pro-upvoting agenda, there’s a greater chance of lame stuff getting published compared to the first scenario where only the very best (or least worst) pbumes.

I’ve had a submission go from -4 to +8. That wasn’t even close to enough votes to win (the winner was +32) but it helps demonstrate how submissions are contingent not really on downvoters, but exposure.

I doubt most people are going to click the “more random submissions” bumon and vote for more than a single page’s worth of votes. This means, the more submissions, the less exposure one’s submission has to voters and the greater weight of votes by those who downvote indiscriminately.

IMV, the “random submissions” should not be completely random. They should be given a bell distribution – for example on the forum voting menu, there’s three submissions to choose from. Simply make one a random high voter, one from a middle of the road one and one from a lower bracket. This also provides a relative scale for evaluating the quality.

In this case, even if someone downvotes all three, the whole brackets are adjusted in response, so their effect is minimized.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!