Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Interface Bashy Bashers? Fix Itembuildr Tattoo?

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Samildanach Posted:

... one of them is a metajoke about ForumBuildr as a whole, one of them is a joke about a single player that is currently “famous” among ForumBuildr players? Alternately, one could say that it’s a joke about all the people who **** about the single player, but either way, I find it hard to believe “a forum about a facet of the game we’re all playing” is seriously “the same” as “a forum about hating a guy who’s currently winning a lot at the facet of the game.” Longevity, if nothing else, should set them apart.

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

This.

If there were a forum about people who top the Leaderboards or dominate sections of games/entire games in general it would get my vote. And after my Buildr score hit this week (Log in to see images!

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

Avatar: 11164 2010-02-17 20:44:46 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Samildanach Posted:

... one of them is a metajoke about ForumBuildr as a whole, one of them is a joke about a single player that is currently “famous” among ForumBuildr players? Alternately, one could say that it’s a joke about all the people who **** about the single player, but either way, I find it hard to believe “a forum about a facet of the game we’re all playing” is seriously “the same” as “a forum about hating a guy who’s currently winning a lot at the facet of the game.” Longevity, if nothing else, should set them apart.

How many new players are going to get most of the references though? The enemy names alone are going to draw a complete blank with them. So the only real difference is that it’s jokes about one “famous” player as opposed to several. It’s equally exclusionary either way.

Claine

Avatar: 124948 Tue Feb 24 04:07:52 -0500 2009

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

It seems to me like the Falcon ****er quest we did a little while back. I didn’t have a clue who he was or the drama (but I later went and looked through old Flamebate posts to find out).

Even though I didn’t know who it was, I still found it funny.

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

ThreadConstructr: mbumive injoke, nonsense to anyone not already familiar with the community, made by CZ, fine

Falcon****er: mbumive injoke, nonsense to anyone not already familiar with the community, OKed by CZ, fine

Bashy-Bashers: mbumive injoke, nonsense to anyone not already familiar with the community, not made by CZ, not fine

How does this work?

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

zagerblag Posted:

ThreadConstructr: mbumive injoke, nonsense to anyone not already familiar with the community, made by CZ, fine

Falcon****er: mbumive injoke, nonsense to anyone not already familiar with the community, OKed by CZ, fine

Bashy-Bashers: mbumive injoke, nonsense to anyone not already familiar with the community, not made by CZ, not fine

How does this work?

Threadconstructr: As long as there’s a ForumBuildr, new users will know exactly what it’s parodying. Wicked Bbum will be obvious to anyone who’s vaguely familiar with the community, others perhaps less so… but it’s just the names attached to random Forumbuildr-based jokes, if I recall correctly. The “enemies” don’t need to be recognized.

Falcon****er: Got me there. However, it makes just about as much sense as any other FWZ mission, even absent the in-joke, so I’m not sure it’s a net loss.

Bashy Bashers: Is about something happening in Buildr right now. If Bashy’s streak of forum wins ends, the entire central concept of the forum becomes apocryphal. Plus, as I’ve said before, exactly how many good ideas are there to be mined in that forum?

So, to recap:

A) A joke based around something that is a part of the game and will continue to be so, written by people who’re known for writing funny stuff, fine

B) A joke based on something that happened, which is however no more or less inherently funny than the GooseFriedBacon, OK’d by people who’re known for writing funny stuff, fine

C) A joke based on being bumhurt about another player, appealing to people whose ideas haven’t been funny enough to beat out that player, nix’d by people who’re known for writing funny stuff, not fine

Whether pulling it or not was the right call, I don’t know. But I see the logic behind it just fine, and if JB thinks it’s a go-nowhere idea, I can trust his judgment, because he’s done work that convinces me he has a good sense of humor.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Jumping in with something totally unrelated to the current “argument”

I think Evil Trout needs to remove itembuildr for now. There are way to many items being put in the community. Over half of the built ones are plain useless and generally make the game look unorganized(imo).

Talking about the anti-bashy forums. Why did you guys let Fran Is Fat stay? It would of been built if it wasn’t for hitchhikers guide to the internet didn’t shoot up. And as stated before a lot of inside jokes are already a part of FWZ, why should you care if more are built? People will just pwn the forum is move on, they don’t need to “get” every single forum. As long as some of us have a laugh, why not let us?

EVECHARM

Avatar: 114577 Tue Feb 17 05:11:14 -0500 2009

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

The original one should have been kept, who cares if it’s a short lived in joke, a lot of people wanted it and wanted to actually put a lot of effort into it if it did get picked. we’re pasted a 100 forums already, who cares if a few lulz ideas get picked now and then. As it stands most people barely take the time to look at a newly made forum while they are running through it as fast as possible hitting 1 and 2.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

The thing I don’t get is this: ET was on the record as saying that if “Fran is Fat” won, since Fran was okay with it, they would have published it; why wasn’t the same standard applied here?

If Bashy were okay with it, and it won a legitimate vote (which “Fran is Fat” did not), I don’t see any reason not to publish “Bashy Bashers”. If, eventually down the line, it turns out that the joke has run its course and it’s no longer funny… there’s no guarantee that all of the community forums will remain as part of the game in perpetuity, just remove it.

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Samildanach Posted:

C) A joke based on being bumhurt about another player, appealing to people whose ideas haven’t been funny enough to beat out that player, nix’d by people who’re known for writing funny stuff, not fine

But some of us voted for it because we thought it was well-written and funny. I don’t actualy have any issue with Bashy winning loads at all. I like most of his forum ideas hence I voted for them.

Whether pulling it or not was the right call, I don’t know. But I see the logic behind it just fine, and if JB thinks it’s a go-nowhere idea, I can trust his judgment, because he’s done work that convinces me he has a good sense of humor.

Sometimes forums win I don’t find funny. But what you’re saying here I don’t really have a problem with. JB vetoed it because it didn’t suit his personal sense of humour. And he gets the power to do that because he works for CZ and hence can stamp his personal preferences on the game. Fine. Can we just stop pretending there’s any more to it than that.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

The thing I don’t get is this: ET was on the record as saying that if “Fran is Fat” won, since Fran was okay with it, they would have published it; why wasn’t the same standard applied here?

If Bashy were okay with it, and it won a legitimate vote (which “Fran is Fat” did not), I don’t see any reason not to publish “Bashy Bashers”. If, eventually down the line, it turns out that the joke has run its course and it’s no longer funny… there’s no guarantee that all of the community forums will remain as part of the game in perpetuity, just remove it.

This.

The Falcon Plaque is a mbumive inside joke, yet CZ felt the need that even though only a group of the players will get they NEEDED to have it. I fail to see any reason to as why it was removed. If the players aren’t allowed to make inside jokes apart of the game, why should CZ flaunt it and do it anyway?

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

CrinkzPipe Posted:

This.

The Falcon Plaque is a mbumive inside joke, yet CZ felt the need that even though only a group of the players will get they NEEDED to have it. I fail to see any reason to as why it was removed. If the players aren’t allowed to make inside jokes apart of the game, why should CZ flaunt it and do it anyway?

Falcon****er was a one-off mission with a special Peen attached, almost like a contest. An anti-Bashy forum, conversely, is a permanent fixture.

Also, one makes fun of bumhurt, whereas another is borne entirely out of it, like a mewling, thrashing entanglement of hemorrhoids.

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

Since apparently no one got the memo, I did not create the forum out of bumhurt. I thought it would be lulz-y, I LOL’d, a few other people LOL’d. Now Fran is Fat is back and I’m going to LOL even harder if it wins.

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

Also, one makes fun of bumhurt, whereas another is borne entirely out of it, like a mewling, thrashing entanglement of hemorrhoids.

The phrasing of that forum really didn’t come across as bumhurtness to me.

Wow. I didn’t realise that CrotchZombie gives all its employees mindreading helmets. That’s kinda cool.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

One makes fun of bumhurt, whereas another is borne entirely out of it, like a mewling, thrashing entanglement of hemorrhoids.

I know eh? How the Bashy-Basher’s forum made fun of all the bumhurt that ensued after Bashy kept winning, and the Falcon****er quest which involved a mewling, thrashing entanglement of Falcons giving someone hemorrhoids.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!