Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Video Games Dwarf Fortress Talk?

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

So, I searched, and it looks like there were a couple attempts to do legacy games here that got derailed, but I didn’t notice much discussion… so, since I’m occaisionally taken by a fey mood and feel a need to play all night, anybody want to talk DF?

For those not in the know, Dwarf Fortress is a roguelike adventure/strategy/simulation game. It’s insanely complex, the physics are nuts, and it’s about the least user-friendly game I’ve ever seen or heard of. If you want to find out if you’re interested, the worst thing you can do is pick it up and try to start playing.

You’d be better off to check out Captnduck’s various tutorials, the first of which is here.

You’ll probably also spend some time checking out the Dwarf Fortress Wiki for details.

Further, if you’re like me, you’ll want to install a graphical tile set of some kind, because you don’t want to spend most of your time swapping to other windows trying to remember what D@g means.

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Needs more endgame, I’m waiting for the next update.

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

____ Posted:

Needs more endgame, I’m waiting for the next update.

I always thought the “endgame” was the ludicrously Rube-Goldbergesque inventions you could get into with a functional fort, like making a 20 z-level native obsidian dwarf statue squatting on a chalk toilet statue.

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Samildanach Posted:

I always thought the “endgame” was the ludicrously Rube-Goldbergesque inventions you could get into with a functional fort, like making a 20 z-level native obsidian dwarf statue squatting on a chalk toilet statue.

I would say those are more like challenges, or “achievements” if you want to call them so. And I don’t really like achievements. At all.

I think they are a poor excuse for replayability devs add so they can sell you a half finished product. Or not work on something better. You know what I mean.

____ edited this message on 05/06/2009 10:24PM

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

____ Posted:

I would say those are more like challenges, or “achievements” if you want to call them so. And I don’t really like achievements. At all.

I think they are a poor excuse for replayability devs add so they can sell you a half finished product. Or not work on something better. You know what I mean.

Yeah. There’s just something about the simulation factor that’s enchanting, though. The game is crazy, and ridiculously complicated. I only just reached the stage where my fortress is sustainable and my military can beat up megabeasts without deaths and tantrum spirals, so the appeal is still there.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!