Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Is loose or tight clothing warmer?
Poll: Is loose or tight clothing warmer?
You must be logged in to vote.

priscilla

Level 34 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Articles or educated commentary would be nice, thanks. In discussion about topic with heirloom. I is curious.

heirloom

Avatar: 47475 2015-07-17 09:14:26 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 8 Emo Kid

Hey this is Professor Commie PhD. I am a total **** stain.

Like I said, loose clothing is warmer. Air gets trapped between the skin and clothing and insulates you.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Loose clothing, because in addition to the insulating properties of the clothing material itself, there will be an additional barrier due to air pockets, cutting down on heat conduction (how double glazing works) The warmer air from your body heat is trapped inside the clothing, rather than outside, where it would quickly disperse.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

It depends on the material, and if it’s layered.

In general, loose clothing helps create a layer of insulation that retains body heat.

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I AM SURPRISED THAT THIS WEBSITE IS STILL AROUND

Depends, but tending to loose clothes, for the reasons above.Also, we can’t forget the clothes color too.

priscilla

Level 34 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

heirloom Posted:

Like I said, loose clothing is warmer. Air gets trapped between the skin and clothing and insulates you.

Thanks, because I didn’t already know what yew fought Log in to see images!

EDIT: I can’t picture loose clothing to the extreme, say a body coat resembling that of the willy wonka blueberry girl, being warmer than normal clothing. Why does there need to be an air pocket? Why can’t just traping heat into/against your skin work? J/w thanks.

priscilla edited this message on 05/05/2009 11:43AM

heirloom

Avatar: 47475 2015-07-17 09:14:26 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 8 Emo Kid

Hey this is Professor Commie PhD. I am a total **** stain.

priscilla Posted:

Thanks, because I didn’t already know what yew fought Log in to see images!

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Polypropylene thermal undersuits, which are close-fitting (not really ‘tight’ per se) are great as a primary layer. Layers over that can still be close-fitting, and avoid the ‘bulky’ look & feel.

As far as ‘skin-tight’ clothing, nothing commercially available is going to do anything for retaining body heat.

Sergeant Cid edited this message on 05/05/2009 11:47AM

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

priscilla Posted:

I can’t picture loose clothing to the extreme, say a body coat resembling that of the willy wonka blueberry girl, being warmer than normal clothing. Why does there need to be an air pocket? Why can’t just traping heat into/against your skin work? J/w thanks.

Because you need room for heat to be stored. Certain materials will retain heat more readily than others, but most of them aren’t really suitable for clothing. Your skin needs to be able to breathe & sweat, and most thermal resistance materials would also prevent air circulation & sweat wicking. You can wrap yourself in a few layers of clear plastic wrap or aluminum foil, but it wouldn’t be that comfortable.

Air pockets are the quickest and most effective way to trap and temporarily store heat. While it would be possible to have skin-tight thermal underwear that provided it’s own heat source (like an electric blanket), it’s just not practical.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

According to the votes, tight fitting clothing is warmer.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

I would think that you heat would moves through tight fitting clothing faster than something loose. And warm areas tend to get absorbed by the cold more quickly.

Kitten-Face

Avatar: 173378 Sat May 16 15:08:01 -0400 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Depends on the density of the knit, the thickness of the fabric, the cut and style of the outfit(ie, length of sleeves, type of cuff, etc), and stuff like that. All things equal, though, loose is warmer than tight.

This is bumuming relatively low humidity on a cold day, of course. On a hot day with high humidity, tight fabric might end up sweaty or damp just from the air and stick to you and feel more hot.

I’ve voted “Don’t know” due to lack of information.

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

I’m not 100% sure on this but all i’ll say is why would professional athletes wear a really tight undershirt while playing Football, Hockey Soccer if it didn’t cool them down

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!