Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art The Forumwarz Book Club: An Idea Doomed To Fail

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

Wow, good response so far. I think we have enough interest to try to decide on a single book.

Some people have suggested single short stories. I think that’s too little. If we take a a few days or a week to read a short story, then talk about it, then repeat the process, I think it’ll feel too much like school. Collections would work well though

Aside from that there hasn’t been anything I’m against. Some people want something comedic and fun and a few want something a little more srs. Let’s try a good middle ground. Something easy to read, but with some meat so we have something to discuss.

I don’t know how we’ll decide, maybe another poll or maybe we can reach a general agreement. For right now, just try to think of one book you want to talk about or you can just agree with somebody’s suggestion. Post it and keep in mind things like price and availability.

ALSO, describe the book. Pique people’s interest.

Remember, it’s okay to suggest books you haven’t read but want to. Even if we pick it and it turns out not to be good, talking about why things don’t work can be as fun as talking about things that do.

For now, I’m going to suggest The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. It’s around 200 pages and it’s about a woman who’s named the executrix of an old boyfriend’s estate. Soon, she gets caught up in a world of secret societies revolving around an underground postal system. It’s hard to explain, but it’s interesting. Since it’s Pynchon it shouldn’t be hard to find and Amazon has a lot of used copies for under $4.

EDIT: The way I explained this makes Lot 49 sound like some kind of gayer Dan Brown book. It’s in the middle ground between Dan Brown and Umberto Eco. Conspiracies, paranoia, secret societies mixed with LSD, Maxwell’s Demon, and at a few points the book switches to the script of a Jacobean revenge play the main character watches. It’s heavier and smarter than Dan Brown, but lighter and easier to read than Umberto Eco.

The Unknown Comic edited this message on 05/05/2009 12:38PM

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

I like the idea. I always say I love reading but haven’t read anything out of my comfort zone for a while, so I’m up for anything.

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

Shii Posted:

His Dark Materials

CoreyJess Posted:

Christopher Moore

Vageena Davis

Avatar: 151797 2010-01-24 16:34:00 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Camwhore

I am easily offended. I also suck fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs.

Auser Posted:

I like the idea. I always say I love reading but haven’t read anything out of my comfort zone for a while, so I’m up for anything.

This sums up my feelings. I’d like to participate.

Bauhaus_Girl

Avatar: 117929 Fri Jul 03 11:11:34 -0400 2009

Level 12 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I suggest Vurt by Jeff Noon.

..oh, wait, Automated Alice by the same author is better. Easier, too.

For the brick-consumers: The Difference Engine by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson.

Bauhaus_Girl edited this message on 05/05/2009 2:02PM

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

The Unknown Comic Posted:

For now, I’m going to suggest The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. It’s around 200 pages and it’s about a woman who’s named the executrix of an old boyfriend’s estate. Soon, she gets caught up in a world of secret societies revolving around an underground postal system. It’s hard to explain, but it’s interesting. Since it’s Pynchon it shouldn’t be hard to find and Amazon has a lot of used copies for under $4.

EDIT: The way I explained this makes Lot 49 sound like some kind of gayer Dan Brown book. It’s in the middle ground between Dan Brown and Umberto Eco. Conspiracies, paranoia, secret societies mixed with LSD, Maxwell’s Demon, and at a few points the book switches to the script of a Jacobean revenge play the main character watches. It’s heavier and smarter than Dan Brown, but lighter and easier to read than Umberto Eco.

I already read that book but would totally do it again. Not because I liked it so much, but to understand it better.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I’ve never done a book club, I will try to remember this.

notameme

[9 VIBRATING bumPLUGS]

Level 17 Camwhore

“Attention Slut”

If “Comic Books” are ok, too, I suggest korokoro soushi by Shintaro Kago (2 Volumes).

Its easily available (just download it).

Description (from Brolen’s Website) :

This is a guro book featuring lots of violence and gore, including some cannibalism. It’s not really hentai, but it does have some sex thrown in here and there, mostly enjoy. It’s set in feudal japan and its central character is an insane sadistic princess with a elite unit of special “hair” ninjas. She gets reckless and draws the attention of the Shogun which leads to a huge clash. Fun book with some grim humor, very graphic and has some disgusting stuff so not for the feint of heart. Some of the contents include torture, lobotomies, cannibalism, warfare, ninja combat, and a “Hell” amusement park. Featuring guest appearances by Jesus, and a clan of ninja descended from Moses!

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

count me in! I promise to discuss in legible

I’m up to anything that’s been suggested.

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

For now, I’m going to suggest The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

I’m willing to give this one a shot. It’s been suggested to me in the past, but I never got around to checking it out. This gives me an excuse.

For reasons of diversity I’m going to suggest Lamb by Christopher Moore. Lamb is the story of Jesus’ unknown childhood friend Biff. While this might sound to mired in religion for the Forumwarz crowd, the book manages to tell an extremely funny and poignant story without venturing into religious territories beyond what is necessary to relate the story. In the end the book succeeds in painting a much more human portrayal of Jesus than what is related in most theological tales. The book contains a lot of sex, drinking, and some damn funny miracles, all told through the eyes of one of the best main characters I’ve read in a couple years.

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

I’d join if I knew had moniez to buy the books to read them.

I’ll be happy to discuss when a book I’ve already read comes up tho.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Well there are certainly books that I like, I think I’d rather read something new then suggest anything I’ve already read. So whatever we decide on is good for me. Log in to see images!

warjoke

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

overrated books should all be b&

Ok, I’ll read that and see how the discussion goes. I tried this on another forum once, and everyone selected teen books (like Shii’s first suggestion) and “The Bible,” so I gave up pretty quickly. I generally have trouble deciding what to read and so I mostly read clbumics. This might be helpful.

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 50390 Tue May 26 17:55:44 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

clavell, mitchener, all the sci fi tards, heinlein, asimov, king is p lame…ursula k le guinnn, wizard of earthsea thats a cool trilogy,...hm…david eddings. piers anthony if you are gay, imho

carlos castaneda for a peyote trip also

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER edited this message on 05/06/2009 1:42AM

The Unknown -
Comic

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

Come on, folks, you’re good at saying you want to participate and suggesting authors, but we need people to suggest single books. One. Or you can agree with someone else, we all ready have a few titles thrown out there.

Sound off, people.

Come on, folks, you’re good at saying you want to participate and suggesting authors, but we need people to suggest single books. One. Or you can agree with someone else, we all ready have a few titles thrown out there.

Sound off, people.

I already ordered Crying of Lot 49 because you said we were reading that first! Log in to see images!

The Unknown -
Comic

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

1337xxxlolololxxx1337 Posted:

I already ordered Crying of Lot 49 because you said we were reading that first! Log in to see images!

Oh, ****, I guess I should’ve been more clear. Well, Aldo and Corey said they’d be down for Lot 49. I’m sure some others will be too. If others don’t want to read it this time, maybe we’ll hit it next time or they’ll join in for the next book.

I feel bad now.

Haha it’s only $5 and I’ll just read it regardless, but if you look at the other suggestions they’re kid’s books, vague genre suggestions, and a guro manga. It makes sense if the one who starts the club decides what the first book will be.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I agree. I’ll order it myself; this sounds fun. I’m a fast reader though. Once I get it, if I like it I might well have it done in a matter of a few days.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!