Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art The Forumwarz Book Club: An Idea Doomed To Fail
Poll: Would you been interested in participating in the book club
You must be logged in to vote.

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

I love to read. I have an almost equal love for talking about books and style and blah blah blah.

The problem is my friends are all pretty dumb, so I don’t get a lot of opportunities.

So, I was wondering if any one here would be interested in forming a book club. We choose the books together, take a month or so to read them, they do our intellectual douche bag routines for each other.

It probably won’t work for a lot of reasons, but I figured I’d see if any one was receptive to the idea. So vote in the poll, leave comments, even suggest books if you’re interested.

TBW

Avatar: 122535 Sat Jun 06 13:52:16 -0400 2009

Level 26 Emo Kid

“Lopsided McHaircut”

I would do it, but I mostly read ****ty old science fiction nobody cares about. I happen to think John Carter is hilarious Muad’dib is eh super great guy, but I’m sure you’d be more inclined to read Fight Club or Something Like That and I can’t really be arsed to do it because I read about nine books at once anyway and I’m trying to cut back.

The Unknown -
Comic

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

TBW Posted:

I would do it, but I mostly read ****ty old science fiction nobody cares about. I happen to think John Carter is hilarious Muad’dib is eh super great guy, but I’m sure you’d be more inclined to read Fight Club or Something Like That and I can’t really be arsed to do it because I read about nine books at once anyway and I’m trying to cut back.

I’m open to almost all books except Harry Potter or Twilight.

I might even read some John Carter of Mars, if only because he popped in the second volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I didn’t have any particular genre, author, or time period in mind. It doesn’t even have to be a book-book, it could be a short story collection, comic book, or play.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

If you haven’t read the His Dark Materials series, you must do it. It’s probably the best book series I’ve ever read.

Don’t base your opinion on it from the movie of dubious quality released a while ago.

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

I recommend Survivor, or if we want a fun book, Rant.

The Unknown -
Comic

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

Shii Posted:

If you haven’t read the His Dark Materials series, you must do it. It’s probably the best book series I’ve ever read.

Don’t base your opinion on it from the movie of dubious quality released a while ago.

I don’t know if a trilogy would be good for a book club format. Not every one will like every book, but a series makes that more of a problem. If we read the first book one month and some don’t like it, they won’t have a new book next month to try on for size.

TBW

Avatar: 122535 Sat Jun 06 13:52:16 -0400 2009

Level 26 Emo Kid

“Lopsided McHaircut”

His Dark Materials weirded me out when I read it as a child because I was really uber Christian and I didn’t get why the nuns were killing everyone lol. I think most of the Paradise Lost things were in the third one, maybe put The Amber Spyglbum on the Maybe list?

Other maybe books:

Wicked or one of the other Oz books by Gregory Maguire

Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Journelle (which is based on Dante’s Inferno but they put other science fiction authors in hell, including Kurt Vonnegut and L Ron lulz)

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G.Wells or anything else by him

anything by Christopher Moore (points for funny)

anything by Kurt Vonnegut

anything by John Wyndham

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

I would definitely take part in a book club like affair. For this crowd I would suggest something lighter to start, like Christopher Moore (Lamb or Fluke), Neil Gaiman (American Gods or really anything else he’s written), or even Warren Ellis’ Crooked Little Vein.

No matter what is decided upon, I think I’d take part.

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Sounds like an interesting idea.

I would join, but I never finish my books, I’ve been trying to read “The Quixote” for about five months, and while it is hilarious and a great book, I always forget about it, or end up reading stuff for college.

duca

Avatar: 127754 2012-12-21 23:37:31 -0500

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 38 Camwhore

Happiness cannot be bought, but Crispers can.

I would defiantly be up for this, I’m always looking for a good book to read.

I think a stand alone novel would be better then a series. I’m up for any genre.

AtomicScript-
er

Avatar: 64129 Thu Oct 16 17:05:30 -0400 2008

[Haxxorz Hell]

Level 33 Hacker

This Stays On The Internet

I’m more into science fiction, A Wrinkle In Time, The Hitchhiker’s Guide, etc.

Baen books are p. cool.

TBW Posted:

His Dark Materials weirded me out when I read it as a child because I was really uber Christian and I didn’t get why the nuns were killing everyone lol. I think most of the Paradise Lost things were in the third one, maybe put The Amber Spyglbum on the Maybe list?

Other maybe books:

Wicked or one of the other Oz books by Gregory Maguire

Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Journelle (which is based on Dante’s Inferno but they put other science fiction authors in hell, including Kurt Vonnegut and L Ron lulz)

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G.Wells or anything else by him

anything by Christopher Moore (points for funny)

anything by Kurt Vonnegut

anything by John Wyndham

H.G. Wells, totally. The Island of Dr. Moreau is very culturally relevant these days. Dante’s Inferno (not Inferno in particular) is a definite must, we need to have some mythology, and the religious explorations are wonderful. Besides, I’ve never read it the whole way through. Log in to see images!

I think we should read some Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker’s Guide or Disk World are definitely needed on the comedy side.

~300 pages a week? One novel a month?

The Unknown Comic Posted:

I’m open to almost all books except Harry Potter or Twilight.

no why wud u do that we neeeeed to reed twilite its the best book EVURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR thers a dreamy vampier and he fallz in luv wit thiz gurl its soo SWEEEET and CEEEEWL its sooooo GUUUUD its the only reeeel book!!1!

EDIT: Kurt Vonnegut, **** yes. We need to read The Barnhouse Effect (I believe that’s what it’s called). Harrison Begeron would be nice as well.

AtomicScripter edited this message on 05/04/2009 10:14PM

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

This is ForumWarz, man. Shouldn’t it be the Banned Book Reader’s Club?

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

There are quite a few sci-fi readers ITT. If you haven’t read it, Blood Music by Greg Bear is a must read.

Also, I’d be interested in a book club. It would be nice to read new authors/books.

NotJoePesci

Avatar: 6966 Sat Feb 21 00:54:31 -0500 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 14 Troll

Best ethnic friend a guy could have! Also Im not racist. -Raepdog

I’d prolly be down for this, depending on the book.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Interested. I would like to add Tom Clancy to the list of b& books, like Harry Potter and Twilight.

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Aldo_Anything Posted:

Interested. I would like to add Tom Clancy to the list of b& books, like Harry Potter and Twilight.

I don’t know about that, his non-fiction is p interesting.

NotJoePesci

Avatar: 6966 Sat Feb 21 00:54:31 -0500 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 14 Troll

Best ethnic friend a guy could have! Also Im not racist. -Raepdog

Dean Koontz should also be b& for being a hack.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Wrinkle in Time omg

I’ve read that book literally 5 times, one of my all time favorites. uuggh, so good

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

I would also be interested.

I think you should be careful to pick books that would be easily acquired. Something that can be found at local libraries. And maybe things not too long.

One book I would suggest would be Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

I would totally be down for this. None of my friends really like reading, and I always liked to talk about books. As for reading material, I would probably suggest something a little more deep than just escapist literature, just so we have some actual themes to discuss. Just off the top of my head, I might suggest something like Asimov’s short story “Nightfall”. Its a good science fiction story, it’s not too long; and it also has some good themes like, not fearing the unknown and some reflections on religion.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!