Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout Speedrun Changes

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

We’re trying to be a lot more transparent these days about upcoming features and changes so that you guys have a chance to chime in with your feedback.

We have decided to change the way Speed runs are calculated. Right now they’re solely based on the time difference between your first and last attack.

This is flawed because it is making people with varying levels of internet connectivity compete against each other unfairly. Also, if the server lags out it can screw you over.

We listened to your feedback, and here is the new proposed system:

Lemon Score = (turns taken * weight) + pwnage done – ego damage taken

I am not sure of the best value for the weight value yet — I’ll have to run a few simulations to see what weight works best.

The idea here is we’re now counting how many turns you took as a measure of speed rather than the actual time taken. Finally, we add in how much pwnage you took and how much damage you took to avoid clustering of similar move counts.

In our brainstorming sessions this seems pretty solid. What do you guys think?

Evil Trout edited this message on 05/04/2009 12:03PM

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I believe you will still need to separate clbumes or we will see trolls, cams and emos steam rolling, while hackers, permas and re-re can never hit due to their much lower powered attacks.

CaptainDDL

Avatar: 34340 2009-09-30 16:41:31 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 63 Troll

Fran's Beautiful Lover XOXOXOXOXO

Sounds like a fair change, but I’m afraid that it will have the effect of making a very easy game even easier.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

1. Would ‘over-pwnage’ (inflicting more damage to the thread than necessary to kill it) count as total pwnage, or would the max health of each thread be the total pwnage factored in?

2. Would healed Ego damage count into the calculation, or would it simply factor your ending Ego versus your max Ego?

3. Would the Ego damage variable be calculated as a percentage, or total points of Ego damage?

Sergeant Cid edited this message on 05/04/2009 12:09PM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

scully Posted:

I believe you will still need to separate clbumes or we will see trolls, cams and emos steam rolling, while hackers, permas and re-re can never hit due to their much lower powered attacks.

Actually stupidly I’d forgotten that lemon wasn’t divided by clbum yet. This will definitely happen at the same time.

CaptainDDL Posted:

Sounds like a fair change, but I’m afraid that it will have the effect of making a very easy game even easier.

Personally I don’t think being at the whim of your internet connection or the server speed is a good challenge to have.

But yes, keep watching GD. Very soon we will begin the Great Gameplay Revamp™.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Holy crap that will be awesome! Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Sergeant Cid Posted:

1. Would ‘over-pwnage’ (inflicting more damage to the thread than necessary to kill it) count as total pwnage, or would the max health of each thread be the total pwnage factored in?

2. Would healed Ego damage count into the calculation, or would it simply factor your ending Ego versus your max Ego?

3. Would the Ego damage variable be calculated as a percentage, or total points of Ego damage?

1. Not sure, but I’m leaning towards not trimming it. There are two possible outcomes here. Either everyone will cluster with the same highest value, or we will have many incredibly high unreachable values at the top. Either way since scoops are given out due to a statistical deviation, it should work out.

2. Healing wouldn’t count except as a turn. It will just sum up hits to your Ego.

3. Total points of Ego.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Evil Trout Posted:

We’re trying to be a lot more transparent these days about upcoming features and changes so that you guys have a chance to chime in with your feedback.

That’s awesome and very much appreciated. Log in to see images!

The new system sounds interesting, maybe then not only offense but also defense will be relevant. Will the weight-factor differ for the clbumes? Else Pnoobs and Re-Res wouldn’t even on the low level forums be able to get lemons.

Edit: ninjaed…

Amasius edited this message on 05/04/2009 12:16PM

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Ego damage is random, isn’t it? So there’d still be an element of “I did it exactly the same way both times but got a different time”?

Not sure this is a problem, just want to clarify.

(Also moving thread to Dom thread because speedrunning is pretty much all about scoops.)

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

Ego damage is random, isn’t it? So there’d still be an element of “I did it exactly the same way both times but got a different time”?

Not sure this is a problem, just want to clarify.

(Also moving thread to Dom thread because speedrunning is pretty much all about scoops.)

Most damage (both to Ego and Pwnage) is based on a random range. Other things like misses from the threads are random too. So yes, doing the same run twice would yield different results (but in the same ballpark.)

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

I can already see how this will make people decide between two options:

KCC Speedruns for the Flezz versus Pwnage Runs for the scoops.

I think the name obviously needs to be changed from Speed Run to something else. Maximum Pwnage Run, maybe? Power Run?

And now there’s virtually no reason to wait for anything other than a maximum threadcount in a forum, unless the weight factor you use is the thread count itself? That way, there’s virtually no need to wait for max/min threads anymore, unless you’re moar file farming.

GS49

Avatar: 45410 Wed Jul 08 18:06:55 -0400 2009

[PONIELADN]

Level 35 Permanoob

“Kapitan Stupidska”

Weight should probably be clbum dependent as a value that works for Trolls is very different from what works for Permanoobs. It should be fairly high to make boring nonsense strategies, like alternating one’s strongest attacks with popping ‘roids unrewarding.

When speedruns are split by clbum, do Permanoobs get their own lemon calculation? Wouldn’t that mean that Permanoobs do become the overpowered clbum? If they can get lemons on every forum there’s really no downside to being a “challenge” clbum, while getting three extra forums and three extra E-Peen.

Also depending on the weight factor all competitive Emo Kids will need to use the Life after Death/Martyrdom/Euthanides combo (to deal way more damage than the suckers who don’t) which is currently buggy when done with Martyrdom.

Another thing to consider is that most clbumes have top level attacks that have a random factor of exactly zero, so the top scores could well be exactly equal.

derfboy23

Avatar: 138118 Tue May 26 01:48:15 -0400 2009

Level 34 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

sweet

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Evil Trout Posted:

1. Not sure, but I’m leaning towards not trimming it. There are two possible outcomes here. Either everyone will cluster with the same highest value, or we will have many incredibly high unreachable values at the top. Either way since scoops are given out due to a statistical deviation, it should work out.

2. Healing wouldn’t count except as a turn. It will just sum up hits to your Ego.

3. Total points of Ego.

So in theory you could get negative lemon score when you subtract damage taken. Granted, you would have to be playing stupid and healing a lot for that to happen (depending on the forum). I bumume the lemon score would just be zero in that case.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Are adjustments going to be made according to number of threads? It’s a large determining ‘luck’ factor at the moment. If you’re running visits, you get more lemon or a job success when there’s a low thread count. You can’t wait for a low thread count if you want vanilla. You only have the dubious luxury of waiting for a high thread count if you’re farming for moar files.

In short, is there some better way to control, influence or predict thread count than what we have at the moment? Perhaps an extra column in the forums list so we can see at a glance which will give better results, or abilities which affect the total (e.g. reduce the count by one for some kind of cost, e.g. an item slot or an expensive consumable)

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 05/05/2009 6:54PM

Leechbait

Avatar: 38669 Mon Nov 03 13:38:26 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 30 Troll

“Permafail”

GS49 Posted:

When speedruns are split by clbum, do Permanoobs get their own lemon calculation? Wouldn’t that mean that Permanoobs do become the overpowered clbum? If they can get lemons on every forum there’s really no downside to being a “challenge” clbum, while getting three extra forums and three extra E-Peen.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Are adjustments going to be made according to number of threads? It’s a large determining ‘luck’ factor at the moment. If you’re running visits, you get more lemon or a job success when there’s a low thread count. You can’t wait for a low thread count if you want vanilla. You only have the dubious luxury of waiting for a high thread count if you’re farming for moar files.

In short, is there some better way to control, influence or predict thread count than what we have at the moment? Perhaps an extra column in the forums list so we can see at a glance which will give better results, or abilities which affect the total (e.g. reduce the count by one for some kind of cost, e.g. an item slot or an expensive consumable)

I’m not sure, I think I like the random number of threads as is right now. It is hard to predict, but that is part of the challenge, right?

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Evil Trout Posted:

I’m not sure, I think I like the random number of threads as is right now. It is hard to predict, but that is part of the challenge, right?

But wait.

First, number of threads in a forum can be checked without using a visit. Someone will just write a utility that checks them then. Second, would it be that difficult to make speedruns a measure of average attacks per thread as opposed to overall total number of attacks?

Lama glama

Avatar: 169571 Wed Jun 03 16:11:47 -0400 2009

Level 35 Permanoob

“Kapitan Stupidska”

Nice. Log in to see images! Lama glama edited this message on 05/06/2009 10:58AM

Re dei sepol-
cri

Avatar: 94160 Sun Aug 02 22:32:53 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Very nice and much needed for us with a slower connection.

Lets hope that it will be implemented very soon.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!