Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll Random Rollovers: What do you think?

flamin kooz

[Urbanite Playboy N-
inja
]

Level 10 Camwhore

**** DOMINATION!

Yes I wouldnt mind giving it a try. it’s a good idea and will keep most everyone happy it seems. good work! and thank you for the extra 2 visits :-)

crackednut

Level 13 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Cherrypie Posted:

Opinion: let us choose the rollover hour, if that can be made customizable.

Was thinking on the same lines. To eliminate chance and randomness, you could make it completely user-dependent by having the rollover begin 24 hours after the first battle.

Like, battle #1 is played at 12 noon. So user realises that he has the next 24 hours to complete the remaining three. If i wrap up 4 battles in one hour, i have to wait for the mandatory 24 hours to complete. My next game cannot begin before 12 noon next day. I can, however, chose to play again at say around 4 PM, so the 3rd day’s rollover wd again be the same.

Reason i suggest this is my time zone is couple of hours ahead. So the rollover begins at around 5 PM and i play only through the nite. If its randomized, there’s a risk it may land between my dinner and breakfast. Hence i stand the chance of having to change my playing habits. Not pretty.

These are my thoughts. Not aware of the technical difficulties though. Take your pick.

Added – two more visits. Woohoo!

crackednut edited this message on 03/10/2008 9:53PM

crackednut

Level 13 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Also with regard to discussions on the Domination deadline, i think there’s really very little you can do about the world being round. So as a part of the game-format, I do not see anything wrong with all users acknowledging a SINGLE deadline of 9 PM Wednesday and setting their clocks/rollover periods accordingly.

crackednut edited this message on 03/10/2008 9:02PM

Mediocretes

Level 36 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I like this idea. As to correcting domination, I have some thoughts.

Not complicated at all, might work: Give everyone a random time, and just let it ride. Cross the ‘oh ****s, I broke it’ bridge when we get to it (and I’m not sure we will)

Sort of complicated, will probably work: Give people the ability to change their rollover time. Doing so will result in you getting no more turns until that time on the following day (so, at least 24 hours from now), and will remove you from domination for the current cycle.

Really, really complicated, will fix the problem forever: Domination counts all the visits from, say, the last 7 rollover periods. So, a domination cycle beginning Monday at 12AM EST (for example) would include the next 7 full cycles, including a 24 hour period to complete it. Since someone could, in theory, get their first turn in that round at 11 PM Monday, the round beginning monday would last until 11PM the following tuesday, but would not include turns granted on that tuesday. Told you it was complicated.

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Amp’s opinion:

It seems like a fairly good idea at first glance, but, using Kingdom of Loathing as an example(sorry), people are always going to ****. It’s the way we are. In the Kingdom, rollover is the same for everyone, regardless of where/when they are. There are a few people that whine about this, but it’s generally accepted. So what you must weigh is this: Which is the lesser of the two **** groups, the group that ****es about too much lag at the really-stupid-to-be-online-anyways 7AM, or the overanalytical pricks that feel this insatiable desire to get the maximum out of every situation in every game? Then, you have to ask yourself if it’s worth all the extra coding to screw with all that, and then cull the crowd of n00bs asking “Hw u chng ur resettt??!?!?!?//111onewun”

Just my five cents.

Galanodel

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I think this sounds like a fairly good idea.

I think the domination problems would be mostly solved by grouping people based on their rollover times (if its completely random that is)

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Amp Zaphrix Posted:

Which is the lesser of the two **** groups, the group that ****es about too much lag at the really-stupid-to-be-online-anyways 7AM, or the overanalytical pricks that feel this insatiable desire to get the maximum out of every situation in every game?

Rollover might be 4 AM for me, but it’s right in the middle of the afternoon in Europe.

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Kinda my point. It’s the same everywhere, and there are people everywhere that are up at weird hours to be awake. Those people whose online time falls around rollover deal. Or they ****.

There was a Canadian Prime Minister that tried to please all opposing groups. He failed, miserably.

Please all and soon you shall please none. Just remember that.

Bigguyinblack

[Mock TSB]

Level 10 Troll

i'm so lonely... i have no friends... plz help...

It sounds like a god idea. The first few days people will still log on at the usual time but it might space out more over time. You’ll still get high traffic at certain times though just because people have the time to play then. Perhaps make it semi-random. After a couple of weeks move the roll overs that occur during the busiest times to times with the lightest server usage. To avoid people crying about lost visits from confusion you could up the max visits to 16 for a week or so after the change then move it back to 12 max when people get used to it.

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

A lot of people are ****ing like always, one thing to keep in mind is, you don’t have to play the second the rollover is, they will be there for 24 hours (or 72 if you choose to stack em) so there really shouldn’t be so much bithing tbh.

Dante Kinkade

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Emo Kid

TSB-positive

Sounds fine to me, if it helps things run better you should do it.

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Echuu Posted:

A lot of people are ****ing like always, one thing to keep in mind is, you don’t have to play the second the rollover is, they will be there for 24 hours (or 72 if you choose to stack em) so there really shouldn’t be so much bithing tbh.

That’s my point, though. There shouldn’t be much ****ing to be had as it stands, because the visits will be there regardless of when you sign on.

windandwater

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I like the idea of “random” rollovers, since I’ve been noticing that lag spike lately too, and we hates it, precious. There is that weird issue about how it would affect Domination, but I suppose as long as you have the same number of visits everyday, it would all work out.

... and free forum visits! Whoo~

d000dl3s

[****LANS]

Level 10 Troll

I LIEK CAKE.

Yes! Yes! Oh mY GoD YES! Great idea, and ty for replacing my lost glbumes Log in to see images!

Maledictis

Level 33 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

Perhaps each player could choose their rollover time, along with some limits on each timeslot that would change with the number of players playing the game as a whole, and readouts for the amount of people who have taken each timeslot. Just so, for example, major domination players don’t complain about being screwed out of medals, and so on.

Fart Salesman

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Sounds like a good solution to me, lag always sucks.

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

As I said before, someone will always complain. I’m just playing Devil’s Advocate here, in reality it doesn’t affect me too much.

Also, d0000dl3 or however you spell your handle, it may not be such a good idea to orgasm so close to your power supply.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

I think choosing your rollover is a good idea, but random would work too.

DrScience

Level 30 Emo Kid

I LUST AFTER FAT CHICKS ON THE INTERNET BECAUSE REAL GIRLS HATE ME

Either random or choosing your own sounds like a pretty good idea. I say go for it.

Ecce Idle

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

If you give the choice to chose a rollover it has to be a one time choice. If there is always a possibility of changing your rollover then there will be someone who will need to do so to optimize. If you are cool with “changing your rollover” as a vector of strategy then that is one thing, but otherwise it must be one time choice (which is forced the first time you play) or random.

Also, as a KOLer (as was said before, sorry) I know they do a bunch of backup and such at rollover. I don’t know what your technical side looks like for this, but are you sure you wont need at least some time to bring the game down for this kind of thing in the future. Maybe something to think about before committing to something. I admittedly know nothing about how these games work on the back end, but I figure it might be a consideration.

All that said I really like the idea of random rollover as a lag fighting tool, and from what I’ve seen my guess would be that you wouldn’t hurt balance in the competition after the first week.

-EI

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!