Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Pumpkin I'd just like to make sure I'm straight on all the rules and ban lengths. I wouldn't want there to be any accusation of preferential treatment or inconsistency among the moderation team. :) Also, a few thoughts on the new layout!

Let’s see if we’re all on the same page here:

• First ban for certain people for goatse = 1 week
  • First ban for certain other people = 24 hours as stated by McBanhammer
  • Quoting a post if previously banned for certain people = 2 week ban
  • Unironically posting a Heil Hitler thread in Non-RP for certain other people who also had a previous ban = 8 hour ban

Am I getting this right? I think the community would benefit from some straightforward answers from the mod team. It has been three weeks or more now since we originally asked for clarification during the Battle of was. I understand that in your efforts to generate new business from 15 year olds from 4chan who do not have credit cards and feel it is their right to receive everything over the internet for free, you do not necessarily have time to address the ongoing concerns of older members. I know that it’s hard when we only occasionally buy new alts and emotes, providing our continued support despite our requests being ignored or taking several months to be dealt with, and then being dealt with in a manner inconsistent with the spirit of the original request…

For instance, I have a few issues with the new layout I’d like to bring up while I’m here in Game Discussion:

• We have been asking for a long time to separate RP and Non-RP in the “Most recent posts” box. While you did do this, you actually ended up doubling the real problem instead of fixing it: Now Non-RP is cluttered with just as many contest threads, which was the main complaint, and RP is now cluttered with Anon threads. Unsurprisingly, the Anon threads are even worse content-wise than the old RP threads.
  • I do not know why the klan forums can’t be listed on the RP thread side. It is also misleading to list the FoW and CoS under Non-RP, as most of them were RP and they may contain non-worksafe materials.
  • Your signature fix is worse than scrolling past the signatures in the first place: Now the scroll wheel scrolls, the cursor gets on a sig, and it scrolls through that anyway. Please either allow us to disable your sig scroll boxes or set a maximum height for signatures. The same problem applies to long posts. It doesn’t stop people with slow computers lagging because of too many smileys and it doesn’t stop those who’ve complained about having to scroll past.
  • I think the whole thing is ok-looking, but a little cluttered. Not showing the name of the OP of a thread is bad, though. I don’t want to have to hover over the thread title for that, and there are people whose threads I will want to click on and people whose threads I will not.

Thanks for your time! I’ll be eagerly awaiting the moderators telling us that these things are being worked on and then seeing no results or updates for another month.

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

1337xxxlolololxxx1337 Posted:

• I think the lesson we were supposed to learn is that racism and genocide are fine, but the murder of white teenagers is an atrocity.

Good lesson, imo

The Unknown Comic Posted:

I think the lesson we were supposed to learn is that racism and genocide are fine, but the murder of white teenagers is an atrocity.

Good lesson, imo

That helps to clarify a lot, and I thank you for your positive contribution. I upvoted your post most sincerely.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I think the lesson we were supposed to learn is that racism and genocide are fine, but the murder of white teenagers is an atrocity.

Good lesson, imo

Celebrating racism and genocide is also not permitted in non-RP.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Celebrating racism and genocide is also not permitted in non-RP.

I believe his point was that it is more permitted than a short, offhand remark about an unfortunate event occurring on the 20th of April. Log in to see images!

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Good to have you back.

Let’s see if we’re all on the same page here:

• First ban for certain people for goatse = 1 week
    • First ban for certain other people = 24 hours as stated by McBanhammer

Let’s really make sure we’re on the same page. Are you talking about the first offense ever, or the first time posting goatse? Because that’s potentially two separate things.

And who are you referring to? Yourself? You weren’t banned for a week for your first offense or your first goatse.

Please cite specific examples so that we may have a relevant discussion.

• I’m going to bumume you mean your most recent ban, which was your 7th offense. I’d say that a 2 week ban, under the current rules, for a 7th offense, is quite appropriate.

• Unironically posting a Heil Hitler thread in Non-RP for certain other people who also had a previous ban = 8 hour ban
  • This time you’ll really need to provide a specific post/user for me to reference.

Am I getting this right? I think the community would benefit from some straightforward answers from the mod team. It has been three weeks or more now since we originally asked for clarification during the Battle of was. I understand that in your efforts to generate new business from 15 year olds from 4chan who do not have credit cards and feel it is their right to receive everything over the internet for free, you do not necessarily have time to address the ongoing concerns of older members. I know that it’s hard when we only occasionally buy new alts and emotes, providing our continued support despite our requests being ignored or taking several months to be dealt with, and then being dealt with in a manner inconsistent with the spirit of the original request…

Even though there’s a lot of toxicity in that paragraph, your primary points are relevant.

Because a restructuring of the rules system and code of conduct is a large undertaking, involving discussion and input from multiple people behind the scenes, it takes some time. We have made a great deal of progress, but I don’t think we’re quite yet ready to unveil anything at this moment. That may happen as soon as later today (and it may only be a small tidbit of the entire package), or it may take even later into the week. But we have been engaging in vigorous discussion for the past 2-3 weeks, and that includes reviewing posts & threads like this. In fact, some of the most relevant input has been copied into the Mod Forum for discussion, like Fran’s recent presentation on why ItemBuildr & ForumBuildr voting issues need to be handled as separate issues.

For instance, I have a few issues with the new layout I’d like to bring up while I’m here in Game Discussion:

• We have been asking for a long time to separate RP and Non-RP in the “Most recent posts” box. While you did do this, you actually ended up doubling the real problem instead of fixing it: Now Non-RP is cluttered with just as many contest threads, which was the main complaint, and RP is now cluttered with Anon threads. Unsurprisingly, the Anon threads are even worse content-wise than the old RP threads.
    • I do not know why the klan forums can’t be listed on the RP thread side. It is also misleading to list the FoW and CoS under Non-RP, as most of them were RP and they may contain non-worksafe materials.
    • Your signature fix is worse than scrolling past the signatures in the first place: Now the scroll wheel scrolls, the cursor gets on a sig, and it scrolls through that anyway. Please either allow us to disable your sig scroll boxes or set a maximum height for signatures. The same problem applies to long posts. It doesn’t stop people with slow computers lagging because of too many smileys and it doesn’t stop those who’ve complained about having to scroll past.
    • I think the whole thing is ok-looking, but a little cluttered. Not showing the name of the OP of a thread is bad, though. I don’t want to have to hover over the thread title for that, and there are people whose threads I will want to click on and people whose threads I will not.

All of these suggestion & comments should be posted here: http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/32824-flamebate-changes-official-feedback-thread

Thanks for your time! I’ll be eagerly awaiting the moderators telling us that these things are being worked on and then seeing no results or updates for another month.

I don’t think you’ll have to wait quite so long as that.

- I think I received at least a few days for my first ban.

– I am specifically referring to Fingerz’ 8 hour ban for a Hitler thread in Non-RP. While I, and most probably Unknown Comic, did not sincerely mean “Woohoo a bunch of children died! I’m so happy!” with that post, she is one of the people on this site whose racism I would consider genuine because it is so constant. I would never buy this, for example: Log in to see images! It was also not her first ban, therefore 8 hours seemed ridiculous to many.

The bans were done all at the same time and hers made no sense in the context of McB’s recent post about ban lengths.

I did not actually think *I* was being treated unfairly because of my prior record, which is why I did not write to ET to protest. It’s just that there are inconsistencies and the mods that issue the bans never explain themselves.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

– I am specifically referring to Fingerz’ 8 hour ban for a Hitler thread in Non-RP.

Your first ban was for 48 hours. Yes, there’s inconsistency there, and yes, that’s one of the things we’re addressing.

ET himself made the 420-minute ban of Fingerz. I got him involved in a discussion of that thread and that’s what he decided. Again, going forward, we hope to get everyone on the same page.

I will forgive the first ban, because I think it might have been by Scully and is now considered a collector’s item.

But is there a reason ET felt the need to show favoritism in the token 4/20 ban he issued?

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

But is there a reason ET felt the need to show favoritism in the token 4/20 ban he issued?

What you mistook for favoritism was just me attempting to be funny (420 minute ban, get it?).

Still, you make good points, and we’re working behind the scenes on establishing more fair ban practices.

We have heard all your platitudes before, Trout. The people demand action, not words!

The Unknown -
    Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
    ole-Players Local -
    Union 352
    ]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

I’m curious too, but then again…

Also, leetLOL is right, I do not celebrate the murder of children.

EDIT: Since Trout admits he was wrong and unfair in the sake of “comedy,” I believe leet and I should be given reparations.

The Unknown Comic edited this message on 05/04/2009 11:57AM

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

48 hours exactly, according to the record. Your second offense was right at 3.5 days.

– I am specifically referring to Fingerz’ 8 hour ban for a Hitler thread in Non-RP. While I, and most probably Unknown Comic, did not sincerely mean “Woohoo a bunch of children died! I’m so happy!” with that post, she is one of the people on this site whose racism I would consider genuine because it is so constant. I would never buy this, for example: Log in to see images! It was also not her first ban, therefore 8 hours seemed ridiculous to many.

I will include this concern and example into our discussion regarding bannable offenses & ban-lengths.

The bans were done all at the same time and hers made no sense in the context of McB’s recent post about ban lengths.

I did not actually think *I* was being treated unfairly because of my prior record, which is why I did not write to ET to protest. It’s just that there are inconsistencies and the mods that issue the bans never explain themselves.

I have to disagree with you about ‘Mods never explaining themselves.’ The messages that are included with a ban (which we keep record of) almost always have a very direct explanation as to why the ban occurred.

As far as inconsistencies, we are addressing that. There are pros & cons on both sides of the ‘publicly displayed ban lengths’ issue, and we’re discussing which way to go on that issue.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

EDIT: Since Trout admits he was wrong and unfair in the sake of “comedy,” I believe leet and I should be given reparations.

You’re a Comedian. Comedians are Artists. Artists are supposed to suffer for their Art.

Reparations would simply dilute the impact of your Art.

The Unknown Comic and I suffered in silent dignity for our beliefs. Our next bans should be only 420 minutes long.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

• I personally feel this is the most important aspect of this highly critical and well thought out post. I would also like to at least disable contest and anon threads in active topics.

Sergeant Cid

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Fortunato Posted:

I personally feel this is the most important aspect of this highly critical and well thought out post. I would also like to at least disable contest and anon threads in active topics.

Hmm, or even being able to toggle which forums showed up on your individual ‘Active Topics’ list?

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Fortunato Posted:

I personally feel this is the most important aspect of this highly critical and well thought out post. I would also like to at least disable contest and anon threads in active topics.

I think we’re going a little off topic here, but we are definitely discussing this behind scenes.

Fat Freddys -
    Cat

Avatar: 66657 Sun Jan 25 03:53:31 -0500 2009

[Good Omens]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Fortunato Posted:

Perhaps add Kyoubai spam to that list.

Internet Delay Chat
    Have fun playing!
    To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!