Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing The real problem with Domination

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Shii Posted:

Forgetting Modest Improvement?

You’d need 40 MIs for that…

The God Damn-
Batman

Avatar: 66365 Mon Jan 19 11:55:13 -0500 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

There is no truly feasible way to get a minimum of 80 and hold it until the end of the round in a high bracket (top 10), if you have that you are likely to also have most scoops and probably will be bumholed to kingdom come before the round is over.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

nevermind, misread.

plk edited this message on 05/20/2009 9:46PM

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

I think that the point the OP is trying to make is that if everyone gathers scoops in exactly the same way and gets much the same amounts (depending on where you are in a streak) it would be about the same to just give everyone X scoops of whatever flavor every week and just card each other into wins or losses from there.

However with the way the flavors are set up (based on different requirements) they will of course remain essentially exclusive from each other, though I like the idea of making Antifreeze sort of an Anti-lemon as far as damage taken. Even if the scoops awarded are always 3 per run, you’d have to almost choose which flavor they are which would be the closest thing to strategy scoop gathering has next to refreshing the vanilla raid page.

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Dunatis Posted:

I think that the point the OP is trying to make is that if everyone gathers scoops in exactly the same way and gets much the same amounts (depending on where you are in a streak) it would be about the same to just give everyone X scoops of whatever flavor every week and just card each other into wins or losses from there.

However with the way the flavors are set up (based on different requirements) they will of course remain essentially exclusive from each other, though I like the idea of making Antifreeze sort of an Anti-lemon as far as damage taken. Even if the scoops awarded are always 3 per run, you’d have to almost choose which flavor they are which would be the closest thing to strategy scoop gathering has next to refreshing the vanilla raid page.

There would, of course, need to be some sort of strategy to Antifreeze beyond Antifreeze=3-Lemon. That would just be stupid.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

I think the biggest problem with Dom is ending time. If you can’t use 12 visits in the last few minutes you’ll have no chance in the top few brackets.

Malaise

Avatar: 40838 2011-10-31 23:42:35 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trust me. I know edgy!

plk Posted:

Honestly, it doesn’t even matter that much how many scoops an individual can get. It’s all about having more people than your opponent in your bracket so that there are extra people to card down completely on the last day, run solos just to create cards for offense (destroying the opponent’s cards and shields), and interrupt any last-minute solos. And if you want fav or total, you additionally need to be at the upper end of your pistachio loop. If you’re not in the numeric majority in your bracket and everybody is playing, I don’t really see the point in even bothering to play it out.

Not to single you out plk because several posters have made similar comments, but I have to disagree. I currently have 3 of the top 6 medal winners for the season without belonging to BF, GGM or BoD. There are other strategies that can work.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Malaise Posted:

Not to single you out plk because several posters have made similar comments, but I have to disagree. I currently have 3 of the top 6 medal winners for the season without belonging to BF, GGM or BoD. There are other strategies that can work.

Yeah, this is true. Dom’s still boring though.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Malaise Posted:

Sorry, but you just don’t get hit by nearly as many people as I or my klannies do and you additionally get support from people in both BF and GGM when one of us is up against you. So, what I’m saying still stands. Individual scoop earnings are largely irrelevant when the real issue is how many people will take out your competition or avoid hitting you.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

plk Posted:

Sorry, but you just don’t get hit by nearly as many people as I or my klannies do and you additionally get support from people in both BF and GGM when one of us is up against you. So, what I’m saying still stands. Individual scoop earnings are largely irrelevant when the real issue is how many people will take out your competition or avoid hitting you.

Part of the problem for p much everybody who’s in a klan or aggressively pursues political help in brackets is that they get targeted; two weeks ago this happened to me. If you play in a klan and work with people, you make friends and enemies. That’s how things work. Mal doesn’t do that, and hence, he mostly gets left alone.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Fortunato Posted:

Part of the problem for p much everybody who’s in a klan or aggressively pursues political help in brackets is that they get targeted; two weeks ago this happened to me. If you play in a klan and work with people, you make friends and enemies. That’s how things work. Mal doesn’t do that, and hence, he mostly gets left alone.

I know, and that’s just the way it is. But what I’m saying is that if you think that everyone has an equal chance, that’s just not the case when bracket composition and alliances (or being able to navigate around them or stay under the radar) play such a huge role. Playing against the same small group of people week after week gets old pretty quickly. Personally, I find it more fun when I don’t already know who everybody in the bracket is and who they’ll work with.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

plk Posted:

I know, and that’s just the way it is. But what I’m saying is that if you think that everyone has an equal chance, that’s just not the case when bracket composition and alliances (or being able to navigate around them or stay under the radar) play such a huge role. Playing against the same small group of people week after week gets old pretty quickly. Personally, I find it more fun when I don’t already know who everybody in the bracket is and who they’ll work with.

We don’t, really. I opted to work with ricket and prevented amasius from medaling two weeks ago. Alliances shift and change.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

plk Posted:

I find it more fun when I don’t already know who everybody in the bracket is and who they’ll work with.

Now THERE’s an interesting theme idea: Anonymous week.

Instead of seeing your opponents’ names, you see unique IDs. Those IDs are different for each user so if you’re in the same bracket as playerA and playerB, playerA may see you as 123 while playerB sees you as 456. Of course, you wouldn’t see klans either.

And to top it off, maybe you don’t get to see your dom bracket name or position either. So you can’t just tell your klan buddies “I’m in so-and-so bracket with 1 chocolate scoop, grab my ID now!”

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

MC Banhammer Posted:

Instead of seeing your opponents’ names, you see unique IDs. Those IDs are different for each user so if you’re in the same bracket as playerA and playerB, playerA may see you as 123 while playerB sees you as 456. Of course, you wouldn’t see klans either.

And to top it off, maybe you don’t get to see your dom bracket name or position either. So you can’t just tell your klan buddies “I’m in so-and-so bracket with 1 chocolate scoop, grab my ID now!”

Still exploitable, but good. I think that scoop totals are too unique to allow forced, true anonymity, though.

plk

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Fortunato Posted:

We don’t, really. I opted to work with ricket and prevented amasius from medaling two weeks ago. Alliances shift and change.

A few outliers don’t really change the general trend.

Fiasco

Avatar: 46971 Thu Oct 16 00:30:33 -0400 2008

[Flogging a Dead Ho-
rse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

plk Posted:

I didn’t take the meaning of your original post then. I don’t get hit as often as you, true, although I have been beaten on by 4 or 5 people at once with no chance of a klannie helping me out.

Seems to me the obvious solution is for people to ditch those Klans which have become anchors around their necks and go solo. I know several players that I think would do better as solos.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

zagerblag Posted:

Still exploitable, but good. I think that scoop totals are too unique to allow forced, true anonymity, though.

Leechbait Posted:

a bteter idea is a full annonymous week where even you dont know ohw many scoops you have

keep track carefgully to orchestrate klan ties and ****

From this thread a couple months back. Also I guess for an anonymous week like that you should allow ties in the top three brackets like in all the other brackets just to make the strategies more interesting. And of course, blank card totals out as well.

Of course, there are a couple other ways to find out who’s who. I think you’d have to have people enter the bracket a random amount of time (up to 6 hours, perhaps?) after their first scoop for at least the first four days, or switch up IDs again for everybody after each addition to the bracket if you really want no information to go out.

How would offense/defense notifications work? I guess if people burn 4 scoops to get a 1/N chance of identifying a friend that isn’t too bad. Especially with the random entry added, so you can’t try to card everyone in your bracket when there’s only 5 people at the start and you know one of the other 4 is a klannie.

I think a full-anon week would be fun and interesting if people got into it, but it’s really awkward to make fool-proof so I doubt it’ll happen.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

MC Banhammer Posted:

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

Honestly I think we need more theme weeks in general, I still say every other week. And for anon, you’d almost need a constantly switching bracket, which would lead to lots of hoarding until the end.

Random end time is always fun, some sort of mbumive bracket that only gets broken down in the last day, brackets where half the players get switched out halfway through the week, new scoop acquisition, a scoop disappears entirely, Only Vanilla scoops are attainable this week, not all become Vanilla, but only raids get scoops.

With all the complaints about Dom being boring (from the vocal minority at the top) it would keep things interesting at least, but more importantly allows for a lot of testing for new mechanics.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Dunatis Posted:

With all the complaints about Dom being boring (from the vocal minority at the top)

It’s pretty hard not to get near the top if you try at Dom every week. The bottom brackets are filled with acres of players who don’t use any cards, and I presume they mostly get their scoops through grinding their daily/12ly visits and then just occasionally luck into medals. The longer a season’s gone on, the less likely it is that anyone talking about Dom won’t have had the ability to medal.

Considering that the non-vocal majority at the bottom doesn’t consider the game interesting enough to explore any of the current mechanics (like winning medals), maybe we should just lump them in as auto-complainers.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Sancdar Posted:

It’s pretty hard not to get near the top if you try at Dom every week. The bottom brackets are filled with acres of players who don’t use any cards, and I presume they mostly get their scoops through grinding their daily/12ly visits and then just occasionally luck into medals. The longer a season’s gone on, the less likely it is that anyone talking about Dom won’t have had the ability to medal.

Considering that the non-vocal majority at the bottom doesn’t consider the game interesting enough to explore any of the current mechanics (like winning medals), maybe we should just lump them in as auto-complainers.

Signed 100%. Dom is not a difficult game anywhere but the top 3 or 4 brackets.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!