Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing The real problem with Domination

Jwred5

Avatar: 24279 Mon Nov 24 22:12:21 -0500 2008

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Pantsless Lord of the Sith

I will briefly touch on what i think is the core problem with trying to make dom better by nerfing or buffing certain flavors. That is, regardless of the amount of each scoops one can garner, everyone can equally gain all types of scoops. Choosing to be good at one type of scoop has no effect on how good you are at the other types of scoops.

The only scoops that share any consumed resource are vanilla and lemon. The only hard decision I ever had to make was whether I should speed for lemons or save my visits for raiding (That was way before klan vanilla was found to be completely and utterly broken). Imho, domination needs less caps and nerfs, more decision making like this.

Currently, the “strategy” for Domination is as follows

1) Gamble script for AF

AND

2) Submit jank for buildr that i think people will like

AND

3) Make sure I’m on still on track with my pstash loop

AND EITHER

4a) Solo Raid

4b) Klan raid

AND

5) do the forums as fast as possible within the constraints of 4a or 4b

See the problem? There’s no tough decision. There’s no strategy. There is pretty much 1 way to play dom. Even 4a and 4b aren’t much of a choice. This week, and before klan raiding was nerfed, 4b was better because of the 3x vanilla for klan raiding. After klan raid nerf, 4a was the only way to go.

The point is, regardless of which flavor is nerfed or buffed, the strategy is still the same. Sure, you can basically ignore some aspect of the game if something is way way overpowered like klan vanilla was, but my point still stands. None of the scoops are mutually exclusive. I myself don’t have a solution, but bickering over which flavour of scoop is overpowered doesn’t seem to me like it will ever make domination more fun.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

That’s actually a good point.

There’s really no way to be creative about strategy besides “when do I get these scoops”

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

If there weren’t any cards and we were not playing against anyone I would agree.

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

was Posted:

If there weren’t any cards and we were not playing against anyone I would agree.

That’s how one gets scoops, which jwred5 was talking about. Not how to play dom, but how a user gets the scoops.

Jwred5

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Emo Kid

was Posted:

Ok ok you got me, I should have qualified with “There is no strategy to the part of Domination in which you earn scoops. The organization of brackets and cards and such is fine. Except for there not being a seperate dom end time for Europeans.”

Fiasco

Avatar: 46971 Thu Oct 16 00:30:33 -0400 2008

[Flogging a Dead Ho-
rse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

was Posted:

It is well known that I am constitutionally prohibited from disagreeing with was. Ever. On pain of torture.

twas

Level 35 Troll

It seems to me that you are describing domination as getting medals by hitting predetermined levels of scoops.

twas

Level 35 Troll

Jwred5 Posted:

Except for there not being a seperate dom end time for Europeans.”

You didn’t list this as a problem.

Jwred5

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Emo Kid

was Posted:

It seems to me that you are describing domination as getting medals by hitting predetermined levels of scoops.

It is true that each type of scoop has a theoretical and/or effective cap. AF is hard capped. Chocolate is theoretically uncapped, but effectively capped by buildr score. Lemon is capped by the amount of visits you can have in a given week. Pistachio is capped by the number of unique forums there are. Vanilla is capped by various things, mostly visits per week and the klan raiding caps.

Also, medals are earned in part by how you use your scoops. That part has plenty of decision-making, keeping it variable and fun. Of course, there’s always room for discussion about that part, but I will leave that for another thread.

My point is not how many scoops people can gain, and how they use them once they have earned them, but the ways in which they can earn them.

AnonymousNow

[The British Gentle-
men Society
]

Level 24 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Ye gads…sometimes it’s not worth shuffling, because even if your entire deck is made up of bumholes you’d be no closer to victory in any way, simply because the target’s lowest scoop count is higher than you can get all week overall.

There needs to be a balance between a decent scoop reward for careful Domination and klan teamwork, and the opportunity for single runners to catch up, perhaps through some game of skill. Yes, technically INCIT/Buildr fill those roles, but perhaps we need new Domination cards – more variety, with differing numbers of scoop targets etc.

...I’m using this emoticon for no reason other than liking it.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Sancdar Posted:

AF is still horrifyingly boring though. I’d prefer to see it as kind of a counter-point to Lemons than as a Flezz sink – take more hits or damage than the average player, get more scoops for your visit.

Ardent

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

The REAL problem is switcheroos. They should be scrapped permanently. People should earn each kind of scoop with the predetermined scoop cap.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

jwred5 is right about scoop gains, was is right about cards. That’s it.

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

teh Ardent bumhedz Posted:

The REAL problem is switcheroos. They should be scrapped permanently. People should earn each kind of scoop with the predetermined scoop cap.

And then Mins are boring and totally biased towards people like Bashy the Builder.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

zagerblag Posted:

And then Mins are boring and totally biased towards people like Bashy the Builder.

not to mention that no one could get a min higher than 80

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Adapt Posted:

Killing Switcheroos most likely means removing the last spark of unpredictable strategy in Domination.

Sapper

Avatar: 8525 2009-12-20 17:41:27 -0500

[So ronery]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Dom is like an NBA game. It’s only interesting in the last 5 minutes. I agree that it would be nice to have more ways to get scoops, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Honestly, it doesn’t even matter that much how many scoops an individual can get. It’s all about having more people than your opponent in your bracket so that there are extra people to card down completely on the last day, run solos just to create cards for offense (destroying the opponent’s cards and shields), and interrupt any last-minute solos. And if you want fav or total, you additionally need to be at the upper end of your pistachio loop. If you’re not in the numeric majority in your bracket and everybody is playing, I don’t really see the point in even bothering to play it out.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

plk Posted:

Honestly, it doesn’t even matter that much how many scoops an individual can get. It’s all about having more people than your opponent in your bracket so that there are extra people to card down completely on the last day, run solos just to create cards for offense (destroying the opponent’s cards and shields), and interrupt any last-minute solos. And if you want fav or total, you additionally need to be at the upper end of your pistachio loop. If you’re not in the numeric majority in your bracket and everybody is playing, I don’t really see the point in even bothering to play it out.

p much signed. Dom is very boring right now. Waaaay to unpredictable at the endgame in the top bracket and essentially empty all week. Can we please restore some semblance of strategy to dom?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Adapt Posted:

Forgetting Modest Improvement?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!