Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
FAQ Forumbuildr voting system question

TheEndOfTheW-
orldIsHere

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

OK, I will take the risk to be mbumively attacked after my first post here…

I have played Forumwarz Chapter 1 and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot and am considering to buy the second chapter. In the desire to contribute to the comunity, I have started to try out the Forumbuildr and have made 2 submissions, one last week and one this week. OK, I was not expecting to win it the first time, neither the second, but I was not expecting to see so fast and so compulsive negative votes. And I would like to know from you, the guys inside, if there is some “known issue” with negative voting that as a newbie I might be missing here: other people ideas want to be favored by using negative votes? is it a klan thing? a very common practice? Or do the ideas I submitted really suck? Log in to see images! I am curious about how it really works because as naive as I am, I only voted negative two forums I thought were REALLY bad written. Plus, if my style is not the community style I will give up on sending “stupid” submissions that people don’t tend to like.

Also, a couple of friends wanted to vote my submision this week but it didn’t matter how many times they refreshed the list, it never appeared to them. Is there any system by which after a forum gets X negative votes it simply doesn’t appear?

Than you and keep the good work! Log in to see images!

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Some people just downvote everything for fun, and others will downvote in order to help get their submissions ahead.

But we don’t know what you submitted, and in general there are a lot of submissions that are alright, but aren’t really stand-out funny or entertaining.

Oh and if something hits -5 votes it disappears.

Bigandtasty edited this message on 04/25/2009 6:15AM

TheEndOfTheW-
orldIsHere

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yes, I understand humour is different here and there and people don’t laugh on the same things so I also understand a particular submission will not be funny for someone, but at least for me, that is not a reason for voting negative… I just don’t vote them (that seemed very logical to me… )

By the way, you did answer my question about why my idea doesn’t appear anymore. It survived something like… one hour? So if 5 people who were up at that specific time when I post the idea decide, for whatever reason, that they don’t like it / want to favour theirs / want to have fun and vote negative, people won’t have the oportunity to even see the submission? I must say that in the light of why some people vote negative, it doesn’t sound very fair for other people’s submissions… (3am, an evil troll and their klan friends are bored, they decide to throw other’s ideas, THE END… )

TheEndOfTheWorldIsHere edited this message on 04/25/2009 6:33AM

Call Me Diego

Avatar: 41721 2010-01-14 23:10:10 -0500

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Emo Kid

Boo!

Like the other guy said, a lot of people for down the competition. May I ask on which day did you make your submissions?

TheEndOfTheW-
orldIsHere

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Monday…Log in to see images!

Call Me Diego

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Emo Kid

Boo!

That is a good day.

TheEndOfTheW-
orldIsHere

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

So I have an additional naive question Log in to see images!

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Yeah submissions disappearing at -5 robs a lot of people a decent chance at being seen. But the problem is that if it didn’t exist, the system would just have way too many submissions, and voters would just get tired of it.

Forumbuildr has flaws that don’t have an easy solution.

Bigandtasty edited this message on 04/25/2009 6:40AM

Call Me Diego

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Emo Kid

Boo!

If you read the submissions that get upvoted, you will start to see what the voters like. Two submissions is not enough practice.

TheEndOfTheW-
orldIsHere

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Yes, I know, I just wanted to learn something constructive out of people voting but it doesn’t seem to work… thank you for your info

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

Avatar: 11164 2010-02-17 20:44:46 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Think lowest common denominator at all times.

Obscure jokes about philosophers that appeal to pseudo intellectuals- Bad.

Obvious jokes about sex that appeal to 14 year old virgins- Good.

LordMorbid

[Fallen Knights Hon-
or Guard
]

Level 36 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Down-voting is totally abused imo, and that’s one of the reasons that I think something needs to be down about it. You could get something like 20 positive votes for your submssion, and still end up with a negative buildr score, thanks to compulsive down-voting, or down-voting to try and bury competition or whatever. At the very least, I think people who have over like 5 votes on a submission shouldn’t have their score go negative from dump-voting.

warjoke

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

downvoting is the cancer that is killing buildr, I would have to agree

thisnamehasa-
lreadybeenta-
ken

Avatar: 186403 Wed Jul 01 20:19:39 -0400 2009

Level 20 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

HuGGleS4EVerYoNE Posted:

Obscure jokes about philosophers that appeal to pseudo intellectuals- Bad.

Obvious jokes about sex that appeal to 14 year old virgins- Good.

Yeah, that’s why all of my enemy submissions die.

I’m still trying, damnit. :ralphnader:

batgrenade24-

Level 64 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

I hate downvoting… I am certain that at least 90% of the time its used to get your own submissions ahead the other 9.9% for just trolling, and maybe 0.1% for actually removing bad submissions. It needs to go

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I’d be happy to give you tips and advice regarding ForumBuildr over tubmail if you’d like; I’m kind of the resident buildrfabulous person.

I’d do it on here, but it’s simpler and easier via tubmail, I think.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!