Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Itembuildr Images and Copyrights -- should I ignore this rule too?

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Samildanach Posted:

I’d say there’s pretty much no way to be absolutely certain that players are playing it straight, but CZ can at least claim due diligence if they require the sort of evidence they’re requesting on top of getting players to agree that all submitted works are free for use.

True. For the most part we’re looking for images that are obviously copywritten, and if the player should choose to set up a dummy page that hosts one or two images, claiming that they’re “public domain,” I think it will look pretty obvious. We can’t protect against all such behavior, but by allowing users to flag suspicious content, we think it will discourage the majority of these kinds of shenanigans.

Fortunato Posted:

Conversely, there’s a second possibility too: someone in second place re-hosts first place on say, myspace and slaps a tag on it when they’re losing, and suddenly, wham, that first place image is out of the running.

That’s an interesting one. I must not have a devious enough mind, because I can honestly say I would have never thought that. I really doubt any user would be that desperate, but I suppose anything is possible. Fortunately, most public domain images hosted on reputable sites tend to have a certain “flavor” to them, and you can usually tell whether or not they’re legit just by comparing them to similar images. This is all very experimental, of course, so if weird, dishonest crap like this keeps happening, I suppose we’ll have to reconsider our stance once again.

Jimbobbowilly Posted:

Someone needs to throw an image attribution thing on the item. As far as I know all of the Creative Commons licenses and suchlike require attribution, it’d widen our opportunities with itembuildr immensely.

If it’s a Creative Commons image, then the idea is we’ll include its attribution where it appears in stores, so that it’s easy to track. The challenge is going to be how we get users to flag any given item as Creative Commons. I suppose we could have a check box or something, which is a bit ugly, but probably necessary. When Crotch Zombie uploads images to our own servers, we have to go through these hoops, so we may as well saddle our users with this burden as well.

Fatquack

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

I wasn’t talking about dummy pages, just upload the picture to flickr with a CC license. You might have to actually disallow sites like flickr as a source, since there is no check there whether a pic really is yours to upload.

The same problem arises for every site which allows user uploaded content, they are usually not checked for copyright infringement.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Fatquack Posted:

I wasn’t talking about dummy pages, just upload the picture to flickr with a CC license. You might have to actually disallow sites like flickr as a source, since there is no check there whether a pic really is yours to upload.

The same problem arises for every site which allows user uploaded content, they are usually not checked for copyright infringement.

Then how would people who actually were crazy enough to bother creating their own submission content get their submissions included?

Miss Prince

[The House of Badfic]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Any idea how soon this kind of thing could be implemented? Because there are still a LOT of Googled images being submitted (as you might have noticed). Many of them got voted out quickly, but at least three copyrighted/copyrighted-image-using submissions remain, including one of the current front-runners.

Edit: Two out of three front-runners are definitely copyrighted.

Miss Prince edited this message on 04/26/2009 4:03PM

Fatquack

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Samildanach Posted:

Then how would people who actually were crazy enough to bother creating their own submission content get their submissions included?

If you created your own submission you will probably have your original Photoshop (or whatever program you use) files, in case you need to prove it. Or if it is a picture you took, you have the original image.

But mostly, your submission will not show up on the first page of Google images, like most of the lazy uploads I’ve seen lately.

Miss Prince

[The House of Badfic]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Also, when you submit an image, you upload it directly to the site, so there’s no need to host it elsewhere first. It doesn’t need to be on flickr/tinypic/imageshack/whatever at all.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Miss Prince Posted:

Also, when you submit an image, you upload it directly to the site, so there’s no need to host it elsewhere first. It doesn’t need to be on flickr/tinypic/imageshack/whatever at all.

That’s what I was missing. I’d never gone through the image submission before, only ideas – I didn’t want to be one of the 30 people googling for available images and submitting the same thing, but I generally didn’t feel inspired enough to try to come up with something original in 24 hours either.

Ricket

Avatar: 4300 2011-11-01 00:56:47 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Good poster, upvoted. Also loves juicy balls (no homo).

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

- Voters will be able to see the image’s source(s), just like admins can now.

– Users can flag an image as copyright. They must fill in a short explanation of why they believe it’s in violation.

– We will provide better resources on the difference between public domain, Creative Commons, copyright, etc.

– Flags and their explanations will be publicly listed and the users held accountable.

– It is a bannable offense to flag an image improperly. In the case of mistakes, buildrs will be able to dispute.

– Copyrighted images will be unable to win.

– Current copyrighted itembuildr images may be replaced with either a placeholder or a runner-up image (the latter may take a while, as the manual process is time-consuming).

– Current itembuildr winners may have their Peen stripped if their image is found to be copyright.

Did anything ever come of this or did the admins just give up?

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

An easier solution would be to give mods the ability to remove entries.

Normally not more than about 10 pictures are submitted for itembuildr and most of them can be found on thefirst page of google. By using TinEye and the Flickr search engine, we could find out where they come from.

If I see an obvious copycat, in the majority of cases even lying about the source, all I can do at the moment is downvote it.

Ricket

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Aldo_Anything Posted:

An easier solution would be to give mods the ability to remove entries.

Normally not more than about 10 pictures are submitted for itembuildr and most of them can be found on thefirst page of google. By using TinEye and the Flickr search engine, we could find out where they come from.

If I see an obvious copycat, in the majority of cases even lying about the source, all I can do at the moment is downvote it.

That’d be cool too but it’d be nice if the playerbase could report stuff too.

Ricket

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

Bumping this because the image that’s currently winning.

Hot Pho

Avatar: 226401 2010-03-21 02:41:40 -0400

Level 12 Emo Kid

But what if I like it here (on Ricket's male reproductive organ)

Ricket Posted:

Bumping this because the image that’s currently winning.

Seriously. No offense to the people who feel that pasting the first result on google is a means of creative expression, but come on… try a LITTLE!

Chuck Diesel

Avatar: 220714 2022-12-08 14:16:09 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

sperm

Honestly though, unless you’re using it for something that you’re going to make money off of, such as using an image in one of the episodes, then you shouldn’t really get in trouble for using it.

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

Chuck Diesel Posted:

Honestly though, unless you’re using it for something that you’re going to make money off of, such as using an image in one of the episodes, then you shouldn’t really get in trouble for using it.

yap

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Hot Pho Posted:

Seriously. No offense to the people who feel that pasting the first result on google is a means of creative expression, but come on… try a LITTLE!

that pic p much sums up itembuildr

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wasn’t the utility belt already submitted in some way/shape/form before? Was one of Fort’s items IIRC.

But we have like 11 different styles of monocle, so I guess it’s acceptable now to make similar items. I mean winning is all that matters, right?

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

mterek Posted:

Wasn’t the utility belt already submitted in some way/shape/form before? Was one of Fort’s items IIRC.

But we have like 11 different styles of monocle, so I guess it’s acceptable now to make similar items. I mean winning is all that matters, right?

good eye

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Fortunato Posted:

good eye

dohohoho monocle joke

Hot Pho

Avatar: 226401 2010-03-21 02:41:40 -0400

Level 12 Emo Kid

But what if I like it here (on Ricket's male reproductive organ)

Adapt Posted:

dohohoho monocle joke

Adapt made me laugh. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!