Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Itembuildr Images and Copyrights -- should I ignore this rule too?

deathpaint

Avatar: 127999 Sat Jul 04 16:42:31 -0400 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

talkin' **** about a pretty sunset

When I submit images to itembuildr, I make sure they have the proper license to adapt and copy/distribute the work. Usually this means I can’t use the best image I find with google image search; I have to find free-use images and be a little creative, adapting them to make them work. Others do this as well, or create completely original images, for which I applaud them.

However, it seems that many of the images people submit are indeed copyrighted with all rights reserved. Take for example the Entire Second Grade Girls Soccer Team fetish. This image comes from this site. You can clearly see it says “all rights reserved” at the bottom of that page and no where does it indicate that the image may be reused. Another example is the Auschwitz Identification Number tattoo. The image that will clearly win (currently 29 vs. -3 votes) comes from a New York Times article and no where does it indicate this image is available for free use.

So can I submit copyrighted works too? I often pbum up better images because they don’t have a creative commons license. I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble here — I don’t even know who submitted these images. I honestly want to know if there is any intent to enforce this rule, because if not, maybe I’d have a better chance at winning.

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Sometime I can’t even tell if their copyrighted. I look for everywhere to see if it’s copywrited and it’s not always clearly stated. So I say **** it.

Not that I submit much these days.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

deathpaint Posted:

When I submit images to itembuildr, I make sure they have the proper license to adapt and copy/distribute the work. Usually this means I can’t use the best image I find with google image search; I have to find free-use images and be a little creative, adapting them to make them work. Others do this as well, or create completely original images, for which I applaud them.

However, it seems that many of the images people submit are indeed copyrighted with all rights reserved. Take for example the Entire Second Grade Girls Soccer Team fetish. This image comes from this site. You can clearly see it says “all rights reserved” at the bottom of that page and no where does it indicate that the image may be reused. Another example is the Auschwitz Identification Number tattoo. The image that will clearly win (currently 29 vs. -3 votes) comes from a New York Times article and no where does it indicate this image is available for free use.

So can I submit copyrighted works too? I often pbum up better images because they don’t have a creative commons license. I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble here — I don’t even know who submitted these images. I honestly want to know if there is any intent to enforce this rule, because if not, maybe I’d have a better chance at winning.

They don’t enforce anything, really. They should, but there’s no real way too, short of checking for every single picture to make sure it’s legal.

However, thank you for respecting their rights. It warms my heart to know some people still view IP theft as wrong.

Shii edited this message on 04/18/2009 10:22PM

deathpaint

Avatar: 127999 Sat Jul 04 16:42:31 -0400 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

talkin' **** about a pretty sunset

If an image is published on a web page, the “all rights reserved” copyright is bumumed. Unless it specifically states that the image has a creative commons license or it may be adapted and redistributed, we cannot legally use that image in itembuildr. The chances are slim that the image owner would find his image buried here in forumwarz, but it’s possible. And if that person wanted to, he could see to it that Crotch Zombie Productions is issued a fine.

This site sums it up pretty well: http://www.pdimages.com/law/10.htm

Shii Posted:

They don’t enforce anything, really. They should, but there’s no real way too, short of checking for every single picture to make sure it’s legal

There are usually less than 30 image submissions. I dunno how busy the mods are, but since we are required to provide links to the source image(s) we use, couldn’t the mods check the images to ensure they are creative commons licensed? It doesn’t seem like it would be all that time consuming with the current amount of submissions.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Unfortunately, Mods don’t have any specific ability to approve/disapprove submitted images for ItemBuildr.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

I believe that rule is ignored on ItemBuildr since it’s user generated content – you can use copyrighted images on Forumbuildr logos for that reason as well. The only time I actually had to resort to Public Domain images because of copyright issues was when I designed EP2 forums since they were created by CZ, and thus they were made by CZ themselves.

ET said a litle before EP2 that he was planning to add restrictions on buildr images and copyrights, but seems like the idea was scratched out.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

No, you should always respect copyright.

We’re going to find a way to address the fact that, yes, a lot of people have ignored the rule and many have seemingly been rewarded for it. For now, user-generated items are essentially “quarantined” to the co-op store, but we clearly cannot afford to be too cavalier about this.

Until we come up with a reliable way to enforce the rules we’ve set up, I would suggest that, if you want your submission to have any longevity, your best bet is to stick to the rules.

Jalapeno Bootyhole edited this message on 04/18/2009 10:57PM

scullyangel

Avatar: 44656 Mon Aug 17 23:47:33 -0400 2009

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

If I was a gila monster you could be my devil ray.

Jalapeno Bootyhole Posted:

No, you should always respect copyright.

We’re going to find a way to address the fact that, yes, a lot of people have ignored the rule and many have seemingly been rewarded for it. For now, user-generated items are essentially “quarantined” to the co-op store, but we clearly cannot afford to be too cavalier about this.

Until we come up with a reliable way to enforce the rules we’ve set up, I would suggest that, if you want your submission to have any longevity, your best bet is to stick to the rules.

The items made in Itembuildr are no longer confined to the Co-op store. It was announced in this blog post and implemented on the same day.

Here is a link to the Emo kid based Puncture Junction – as you can see there are several Itenbuildr items included. This is the same for all the clbum stores.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

scullyangel Posted:

This is the same for all the clbum stores.

Not the hacker one! It is entirely devoid of copyrighted images from itembuildr!

Personally, I would deal with copyrighted images in the following manner:

1) Put a “report copyrighted images” link on the voting page for itembuildr images, and allow a mod to verify the copyright on the image and, on doing so, remove the image from competition.

2) If an item makes it through and the image is later found to be copyrighted, remove the image from the item, remove the item from all NPC stores, and strip the winner of his or her peen from getting the winning image (even if they got the peen from a legitimate image win, be careful people.) Just replace the copyrighted image with a generic placeholder image, and if ET thinks that the item really is neat, add some bonus rounds to itembuildr wherein people submit and vote images for things that had their images removed. It’s not really a tragedy if an item goes through life without an image, most of the items people equip (.moar files) don’t have a unique image.

I think that would solve a lot of the problems.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

scullyangel Posted:

The items made in Itembuildr are no longer confined to the Co-op store. It was announced in this blog post and implemented on the same day.

Here is a link to the Emo kid based Puncture Junction – as you can see there are several Itenbuildr items included. This is the same for all the clbum stores.

Right you are, but if I’m not mistaken (and I frequently am), we just moved the obviously non-copyright items over.

Going forward, at least I think that’s what we ought to do until we can get a reliable process going. I don’t make the decisions around here, I just run contests.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

We met about this last night. We think we might have a workable solution. I don’t want to announce anything officially yet, because there’s a good chance ET won’t be able to get started on any of it until next week.

It might be a bit harsh, but dammit, it’s necessary:

– Voters will be able to see the image’s source(s), just like admins can now.

– Users can flag an image as copyright. They must fill in a short explanation of why they believe it’s in violation.

– We will provide better resources on the difference between public domain, Creative Commons, copyright, etc.

– Flags and their explanations will be publicly listed and the users held accountable.

– It is a bannable offense to flag an image improperly. In the case of mistakes, buildrs will be able to dispute.

– Copyrighted images will be unable to win.

– Current copyrighted itembuildr images may be replaced with either a placeholder or a runner-up image (the latter may take a while, as the manual process is time-consuming).

– Current itembuildr winners may have their Peen stripped if their image is found to be copyright.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

- Current itembuildr winners may have their Peen stripped if their image is found to be copyright.

And by this (and the rest of it), you mean “if their source location cannot be determined to grant free use”, right? Because theoretically anyone could steal a copyright image, host it on their server, and that could be where someone finds it.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Total noob question: Couldn’t lengthening the submission time to more than 24 hours incentivize doing something more than googlewhacking and slapping up a suggestion?

I mean, the short time limit pretty much ensures that a google image search is your best bet 90% of the time. A longer limit would give folks time to take their own pictures/make their own images.

Just a thought. I suck at art, so it will likely never matter to me directly either way.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

MC Banhammer Posted:

And by this (and the rest of it), you mean “if their source location cannot be determined to grant free use”, right? Because theoretically anyone could steal a copyright image, host it on their server, and that could be where someone finds it.

Yes. We have to play it safe. The image needs to be expressly free to use.

Tings can get tricky here. There are many sites that say “as far as we know, these user-uploaded images are copyright-free.” That’s still not good enough as far as I’m concerned, but at least the intention to find a public domain image was there.

Veist

Avatar: 35066 2012-11-21 18:44:47 -0500

[I hate you all]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

We met about this last night. We think we might have a workable solution. I don’t want to announce anything officially yet, because there’s a good chance ET won’t be able to get started on any of it until next week.

– Users can flag an image as copyright. They must fill in a short explanation of why they believe it’s in violation.

– We will provide better resources on the difference between public domain, Creative Commons, copyright, etc.

– Flags and their explanations will be publicly listed and the users held accountable.

– It is a bannable offense to flag an image improperly. In the case of mistakes, buildrs will be able to dispute.

– Current copyrighted itembuildr images may be replaced with either a placeholder or a runner-up image (the latter may take a while, as the manual process is time-consuming).

– Current itembuildr winners may have their Peen stripped if their image is found to be copyright.

Glad this is happening.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

This is absolutely the correct policy.

Fatquack

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Yes. We have to play it safe. The image needs to be expressly free to use.

Tings can get tricky here. There are many sites that say “as far as we know, these user-uploaded images are copyright-free.” That’s still not good enough as far as I’m concerned, but at least the intention to find a public domain image was there.

Just playing devils advocate here: what is stopping me from stealing a picture, uploading it to my own website and adding a Creative Commons license to it?

I don’t even need my own website, I can upload it to plenty of other sites and add my own copyright info.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Fatquack Posted:

Just playing devils advocate here: what is stopping me from stealing a picture, uploading it to my own website and adding a Creative Commons license to it?

I don’t even need my own website, I can upload it to plenty of other sites and add my own copyright info.

I’d say there’s pretty much no way to be absolutely certain that players are playing it straight, but CZ can at least claim due diligence if they require the sort of evidence they’re requesting on top of getting players to agree that all submitted works are free for use.

Jimbobbowilly

Avatar: 66036 Tue Mar 17 00:11:33 -0400 2009

Level 42 Emo Kid

Helped killing 250 jews by having gas - and being Hitler's ****. Likes double anal penetration.

Someone needs to throw an image attribution thing on the item. As far as I know all of the Creative Commons licenses and suchlike require attribution, it’d widen our opportunities with itembuildr immensely.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Conversely, there’s a second possibility too: someone in second place re-hosts first place on say, myspace and slaps a tag on it when they’re losing, and suddenly, wham, that first place image is out of the running.

Fortunato edited this message on 04/23/2009 7:17AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!