Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business MasterBall-gate

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Acid Flux Posted:

Why were you holding onto those items?

Much the same reason as why I can’t extract moar files or receive deliveries now – I have better things to do with my time than wrestle with a bad shop interface. Because I didn’t click the sell bumon, under the false bumumption that ET wouldn’t halve my ingame networth with no warning. Does it really matter? Their price was changed unannounced.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

It was really cut in half? I had no idea, I thought it was less than that.

To be fair, I consider unannounced changes to the value & supply of items to be the nature of any economy. To me, it’s an bumumed risk.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Actually I thought I’d said several times that the prices of the itembuildr items could change. I specifically remember telling people that, as leaving the items with upset stats is worse in the long term. At the very least, I remember saying in the beginning it was always up to our discretion what games got put in stores and when.

ItemBuildr will be around for a very long time. It was important to correct the generation code and fix the stats that were out of whack now, so that in the future things work out smoothly.

Giving refunds to players wouldn’t work either, because the items had already been traded and sold, etc.

On top of that, we’ve never made any promises that item prices would stay the same forever, or that items that exist now will always exist that way. If you are sitting on 1000 master balls, you did that out of your own bumumptions on how things would go, not our promises. If you do odd things, you are putting yourself at risk.

EVECHARM

Avatar: 114577 Tue Feb 17 05:11:14 -0500 2009

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

hmm tho why decide to delete every item but 3 all at once? instead of doing like a rollover out. like 3 of the items you deleted haven’t even been in itembuildr for 2 weeks as apposed to the few that have been there a month or so. Or at least a 24-48 hour warning before you delete 20 items

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

If you are sitting on 1000 master balls, you did that out of your own bumumptions on how things would go, not our promises.

Not quite that many. And not as many as meeeee thinks I have.

Definitely not enough to skyrocket to the top of the Flezz Leaderboard, unless people start paying about 5 times as much as they currently are.

As far as a rollover schedule, are there any plans yet for how long an item will stay in itembuildr before it changes status?

Also, it would be very helpful if we could see the Item Types in the Co-Op. I just bought a bunch of Auschwitz Tattoos, and then realized that there was a Special Item in the works that was ‘Emo-Themed’.

If the ‘Death-Clock’ had a Douchebaggery stat instead of Tears, it could easily be mistaken for a Troll Fetish, for example.

A newer player could easily accidentally purchase an out-of-clbum item in Co-Op unless they are tagged in some obvious way.

Acid Flux edited this message on 04/19/2009 3:58PM

guest42

[Bargain Drug Wareh-
ouse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

EVECHARM Posted:

hmm tho why decide to delete every item but 3 all at once?

Most weren’t deleted, they were moved into the appropriate stores.

Only the Dragon Balls and Master Balls weren’t moved to a store.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Acid Flux Posted:

Not quite that many. And not as many as meeeee thinks I have.

It’s not easy to interpret ‘many, many’. I had an idea of your networth and bumumed you didn’t sink everything into it.

Anyway, I have a few alts without them so I’ll be one of the players pushing the price up.

EVECHARM

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

well the moar doesn’t look like it’s in any shop and a I think a few of the emo things are missing.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

It’s not easy to interpret ‘many, many’. I had an idea of your networth and bumumed you didn’t sink everything into it.

Anyway, I have a few alts without them so I’ll be one of the players pushing the price up.

Well, I’m not going to say how many I have until I have less than, say, 20 left.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

If you do odd things, you are putting yourself at risk.

If you do odd things, you’re putting your game at risk. Giving a minority of players a mbumive advantage or disadvantage simply as a consequence of a bugfix is one of those odd things, just as the Falcon plaque was another. If you don’t see that you made a mistake, you’re going to continue to make the same mistakes, and a number of us who still (somehow, despite everything) still manage to give a damn, are going to continue to resent the consequences of these arbitrary whims.

Financial speculation based on bug fixes is a horrible way to run an economy. You actually want players financially speculating on what you’re going to fix next?

You made one of the most valuable items in the game instantly extremely rare. And some players had large stockpiles of that item, because it was a desirable item, and they were using it to increase their auction seller score. Were you aware of this? It doesn’t sound odd to me at all, given that it’s a direct and obvious consequence of the game system you designed. The price, barring it appearing in the Ppwn Shoppe, should actually be higher than anything the moar files go for. And if you change the stats, that’ll leave another bunch of players extremely gypped.

In the end, a refund is the only fair solution, and the sooner the better. Whether the item was traded or bought should be immaterial unless players are paying way over the odds for the item, and the sooner you refund, the less consequences. You could also refund the kyoubai sale amount, though that would be adding flezz to the economy. If you’re increasing the price of the item that would be balanced, however.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 04/19/2009 4:29PM

EVECHARM

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

If you do odd things, you’re putting your game at risk. Giving a minority of players a mbumive advantage or disadvantage simply as a consequence of a bugfix is one of those odd things, just as the Falcon plaque was another. If you don’t see that you made a mistake, you’re going to continue to make the same mistakes, and a number of us who still (somehow, despite everything) still manage to give a damn, are going to continue to resent the consequences of these arbitrary whims.

Financial speculation based on bug fixes is a horrible way to run an economy. You actually want players financially speculating on what you’re going to fix next?

You made one of the most valuable items in the game instantly extremely rare. And some players had large stockpiles of that item, because it was a desirable item, and they were using it to increase their auction seller score. Were you aware of this? It doesn’t sound odd to me at all, given that it’s a direct and obvious consequence of the game system you designed. The price, barring it appearing in the Ppwn Shoppe, should actually be higher than anything the moar files go for. And if you change the stats, that’ll leave another bunch of players extremely gypped.

In the end, a refund is the only fair solution, and the sooner the better. Whether the item was traded or bought should be immaterial unless players are paying way over the odds for the item, and the sooner you refund, the less consequences. You could also refund the kyoubai sale amount, though that would be adding flezz to the economy. If you’re increasing the price of the item that would be balanced, however.

this exactly

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

I totally disagree.

ET ‘bug fixing’ the price of items in the case of the ‘junk devaluation’ is no different that the Fed adjusting the interest rate. And since there was never any guarantee whatsoever that the Co-Op items would always be available (and in fact, the blog post and multiple Flamebate discussions referred to this probability), there is absolutely no justification in crying foul.

Should the players that bought the Wireless Headsets get partial refunds, since there was no warning that a Special Item with such similarly high stats could possibly become a purchasable item in a store that hadn’t been invented yet? Should the players that sold Books that they hoarded from Episode 1, which were once cheap junk but now command thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of Flezz, have to return that ‘free’ Flezz?

What about the people that bought the ****.milf file when it was only available via Geronimo? Once it appeared in other forums, the rarity dropped, and so did the price. Should the Sellers have to refund some money to those Buyers?

In each of these situations, these ‘economy shifts’ were unannounced.

In this case, we actually had some hints that something might happen to the Co-Op store. I (and other players) took notice of this, and decided to take a calculated risk by investing in certain items.

We paid attention to the environment, and took action. Why should we be penalized for watching the market and making a smart decision?

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Evil Trout Posted:

Actually I thought I’d said several times that the prices of the itembuildr items could change. I specifically remember telling people that, as leaving the items with upset stats is worse in the long term. At the very least, I remember saying in the beginning it was always up to our discretion what games got put in stores and when.

ItemBuildr will be around for a very long time. It was important to correct the generation code and fix the stats that were out of whack now, so that in the future things work out smoothly.

Giving refunds to players wouldn’t work either, because the items had already been traded and sold, etc.

On top of that, we’ve never made any promises that item prices would stay the same forever, or that items that exist now will always exist that way. If you are sitting on 1000 master balls, you did that out of your own bumumptions on how things would go, not our promises. If you do odd things, you are putting yourself at risk.

Why are the Itembuildr items sold in shops at all? Nobody really needs these items to beat episode 2, so the only players who are interested in them are collectors and/or people who care about speedrun times. Why not put X (X = 1 imo) Itembuildr items of every kind every day up in Kyoubai (every auction runs for 24 hours, reserve price = the base cost) and let us bid for them? All items would be rare and this should pull some flezz out of the economy instead of ****ing it up even more.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

If you don’t see that you made a mistake, you’re going to continue to make the same mistakes, and a number of us who still (somehow, despite everything) still manage to give a damn, are going to continue to resent the consequences of these arbitrary whims.

You ignored the whole part where I said repeatedly that I was going to be fixing things with the wacky items. And how I even mentioned I would be changing the price. And the whole thing about how we never guaranteed any item from itembuildr would make it into the game.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Are… you serious? It’s not the way the economy is run. It is a blip that happened that is almost invisible as far as the economy is concerned. I just said it’s like the real world, you win some and you lose some. The game is far from being completely based around bugfixes.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

In the end, a refund is the only fair solution, and the sooner the better. Whether the item was traded or bought should be immaterial unless players are paying way over the odds for the item, and the sooner you refund, the less consequences.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Let’s say I buy item A. Then I sell it to player B in Kyoubai. That player sells it to another player C in Kyoubai. That player equips it.

Do you realize how complicated that refund is to track? I’d have to unequip the item from C, refund C’s money, refund B’s money then refund A’s money. It’s insanely complicated because I don’t track items in specific paths like that.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Amasius Posted:

Why are the Itembuildr items sold in shops at all? Nobody really needs these items to beat episode 2, so the only players who are interested in them are collectors and/or people who care about speedrun times. Why not put X (X = 1 imo) Itembuildr items of every kind every day up in Kyoubai (every auction runs for 24 hours, reserve price = the base cost) and let us bid for them? All items would be rare and this should pull some flezz out of the economy instead of ****ing it up even more.

Right now most of them are expensive / high end due to the way the algorithm works. But it will be seeding items for players at all levels, starting pretty soon I’d imagine.

Dorelia

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

Arktor Forever!

Amasius

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Evil Trout Posted:

Right now most of them are expensive / high end due to the way the algorithm works. But it will be seeding items for players at all levels, starting pretty soon I’d imagine.

Fine, but still nobody needs them because there are already enough items for all levels and you desperately need a way to pull flezz out of the economy. Have you looked at the flezz leaderboard in the last time?

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Amasius Posted:

Fine, but still nobody needs them because there are already enough items for all levels and you desperately need a way to pull flezz out of the economy. Have you looked at the flezz leaderboard in the last time?

Some argue that there aren’t nearly enough items for E2, but I accept your criticisms.

For now Flezz leaks are a valid concern for long time players. I’m not sure only building super expensive items would be a solution though, but it’s something I’m thinking about.

Wyrd

Avatar: 2782 2011-10-31 19:56:49 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

I tried to get over myself, but I'm just too awesome!

Sergeant Cid Posted:

I (and other players) took notice of this, and decided to take a calculated risk by investing in certain items.

We paid attention to the environment, and took action. Why should we be penalized for watching the market and making a smart decision?

There.

Wyrd edited this message on 04/19/2009 6:43PM

Amasius

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Evil Trout Posted:

For now Flezz leaks are a valid concern for long time players. I’m not sure only building super expensive items would be a solution though, but it’s something I’m thinking about.

Well, if the Master Ball would have been only available via Kyoubai and only one every day some players would have bid crazy amounts for it while others would wait a bit hoping that the price drops. We wouldn’t have all this drama and the flezz economy would be much healthier.

Maybe the Itembuildr items should be separated in low- and midlevel stuff sold in shops and top-tier items only available in Kyoubai.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!