Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature We Need To Be Able To Turn Of Word Filtering

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

Please give us the option to turn off world filtering in the options. As of now more and more words commonly used in conversation on INCIT and IDC are being filtered. It is disruptive to conversation and takes away from the entire chat experience. Words like ****, fine upstanding member of society, fabulous person, win, bumhurt, and fat are not words that need to be filtered. The are used to commonly and typing out & shy ; in the middle of nearly every other word in a sentence is growing to be too much of an annoyance.

It makes sense to filter shortened versions of longer player names, and it makes sense to filter obscure words for mild humor but they aforementioned words are far too common.

This could be easily fixed by allowing individual users to turn off word filtering on their options page.

Submitted for your approval.

Xylon edited this message on 04/14/2009 11:30AM

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

If everyone can disable the word filters, then people may think that there is much less incentive to pay for them.

Oh and “bumhurt” deserves filtering imo that word is way overused

Anyway I don’t use IDC much nowadays so I can’t really comment on how much it has messed up chat

Xylon

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

bumhurt may be overused, but what valid reason is there for removing the word “****”?

Nicco

Avatar: 24745 2011-07-31 00:34:23 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco Nicco

Yeah, **** is a pretty common word on IDC, no idea why it got approved.

Context

Avatar: 121191 Wed Mar 18 08:50:56 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 30 Camwhore

The Cats Pajamas

Xylon Posted:

bumhurt may be overused, but what valid reason is there for removing the word “****”?

It’s overused. We also need to filter “the”, “a” and “and”. They are way overused and are losing all meaning.

Montressor

Avatar: 77535 Tue Jan 13 09:44:11 -0500 2009

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 37 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

not signed. I mean really, if we want a normal chat environment can’t we join yahoo or something? We’ve already done some damage with the ignore function, which, though it helps people like me ignore n00bs, also makes spamming irrelevant, unless someone comes up with a script that grabs usernames from the bumholes online pulldown. Do we really want a completely vanilla idc where everything can be adjusted to ensure maximum comfort of all users at all times?

Xylon

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Montressor Posted:

not signed. I mean really, if we want a normal chat environment can’t we join yahoo or something? We’ve already done some damage with the ignore function, which, though it helps people like me ignore n00bs, also makes spamming irrelevant, unless someone comes up with a script that grabs usernames from the bumholes online pulldown. Do we really want a completely vanilla idc where everything can be adjusted to ensure maximum comfort of all users at all times?

Yes but the native ignore function is still buggy as hell, and I like to insult people without being censored. I certainly don’t want a “vanilla” IDC, however I think that having our convos on IDC look like they have been run through the unintelligencer is a little overkill.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Nicco Posted:

Yeah, **** is a pretty common word on IDC, no idea why it got approved.

To give variety. And much more overused ‘fat’ also got filtered.

Context Posted:

We also need to filter “the”, “a” and “and”. They are way overused and are losing all meaning.

No, dance mouse.

Bigandtasty

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Montressor Posted:

Do we really want a completely vanilla idc where everything can be adjusted to ensure maximum comfort of all users at all times?

Exactly – it isn’t the uncensored cesspool of the internet if it can turn off all the stuff that is undesirable to the user. I like the idea of having your words contorted by the system in an undesirable way – though yeah, maybe the word filters are overkill.

Context Posted:

It’s overused. We also need to filter “the”, “a” and “and”. They are way overused and are losing all meaning.

I have some unwarranted personal annoyance with “bumhurt” but what I meant was that a temporary filter would be interesting to see people chatting without it.

anyway. the solutions (other than removing word filters altogether) are few and mostly center around better enforcement (which is obviously ambiguous). Seems like a pretty tough pickle for CZ to me.

Bigandtasty edited this message on 04/14/2009 12:45PM

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Also. I personally like the censoring bad language wordfilters. They definitely get people a little upset and create some pretty funny sentences. I’d love to see some more creative ones, like maybe **** to Venezuelan beaver cheese or something; I can see it now:

EAT VENEZUELAN BEAVER CHEESE!

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Xylon Posted:

Yes but the native ignore function is still buggy as hell, and I like to insult people without being censored. I certainly don’t want a “vanilla” IDC, however I think that having our convos on IDC look like they have been run through the unintelligencer is a little overkill.

You troll by insulting. Others troll by preventing insulting. Different others troll by being completely obnoxious.

In this case, I’m inclined to say YHBT.

While I think a filter or two probably shouldn’t have been approved, I do not support the ability to turn the filters off.

Fortunato Posted:

Also. I personally like the censoring bad language wordfilters. They definitely get people a little upset and create some pretty funny sentences. I’d love to see some more creative ones, like maybe **** to Venezuelan beaver cheese or something; I can see it now:

EAT VENEZUELAN BEAVER CHEESE!

I love you. Log in to see images!

Xylon

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

spacekadt Posted:

You troll by insulting. Others troll by preventing insulting. Different others troll by being completely obnoxious.

In this case, I’m inclined to say YHBT.

While I think a filter or two probably shouldn’t have been approved, I do not support the ability to turn the filters off.

Perhaps, I would even be willing to shed off a few bp for the option. Not everything is about trolling. Sometimes I just want to say the word **** or fabulous person. I think it is disruptive to the site to allow the filtering of common words. Furthermore, it should not be the place of a moderator to be able to arbitrarily approve these filters. It should be approved by 2/3 or so on. As even moderators disagree on some of the submissions.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Xylon Posted:

it should not be the place of a moderator to be able to arbitrarily approve these filters. It should be approved by 2/3 or so on. As even moderators disagree on some of the submissions.

Signed, actually. There’s one in particular out there now which I have no loveing idea why it was approved.

And it’s not the **** filter.

Bigandtasty

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Xylon Posted:

It should be approved by 2/3 or so on. As even moderators disagree on some of the submissions.

Now this is a logical step.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I think I’m going to have to look and see who approved “****” and “fat”, since those are very common words.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Evil Trout Posted:

I think I’m going to have to look and see who approved “****” and “fat”, since those are very common words.

I think I approved fat… 95% of the times I see it, it’s in “fran is fat” and I was incredibly amused by the change given the way it gets used. It is a common word, but mostly for one use.

I kinda like the idea of multiple approvals on smilies and word filters though.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

spacekadt Posted:

I think I approved fat… 95% of the times I see it, it’s in “fran is fat” and I was incredibly amused by the change given the way it gets used. It is a common word, but mostly for one use.I kinda like the idea of multiple approvals on smilies and word filters though.

Yep, I bought the filter and you approved it. Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’ve removed and refunded: fat, win and ****

From now on we should just try to not approve such common words.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Evil Trout Posted:

I’ve removed and refunded: fat, win and ****From now on we should just try to not approve such common words.

Remove bumhurt as well -_-

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

Fran Posted:

Remove bumhurt as well -_-

Oh, if only that were possible. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!