Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Domination Ending time

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

Avatar: 11164 2010-02-17 20:44:46 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

the Pro Posted:

To everyone who signed: what do you think is the best way to solve this? Simply moving dom end to a time that is more convenient for Euros/Azns is obviously a great inconvenience to the main playerbase, so that’s not gonna happen.

Personally I’d like it if it always ended at a random time instead of just having that as a theme week. It makes it more strategic.

markchd

Avatar: 12369 2010-01-24 16:26:11 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

Craves Power like it's Crystal Pepsi

HuGGleS4EVerYoNE Posted:

Personally I’d like it if it always ended at a random time instead of just having that as a theme week. It makes it more strategic.

Oh my. Yes. But some folks live for that last 5 minutes. Still…why not?

Fiasco

Avatar: 46971 Thu Oct 16 00:30:33 -0400 2008

[Flogging a Dead Ho-
rse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

HuGGleS4EVerYoNE Posted:

No it would make it more fair. It would make it less strategic. Strategy is the opposite of random chance.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Simply rotating end time has always been the best idea, imo. Three week rotation: noon, 8 pm, 4 am. Four week rotation: 9 am, 3 pm, 9 pm, 3 am. Should it be changed, it would still screw over someone, but the rotating thing would be more inclusive overall.

Fiasco Posted:

No it would make it more fair. It would make it less strategic. Strategy is the opposite of random chance.

Be careful there. If you keep using logic you might be designated as the self appointed moral compbum of Dom. However, you will need to work on making longer posts if you’d like to go for that.

Wyrd

Avatar: 2782 2011-10-31 19:56:49 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

I tried to get over myself, but I'm just too awesome!

Auser Posted:

Yes I was under the impression that something like this was underway and I kinda bumumed Wyrd knew that too before making this thread, I thought the purpose of this thread was too speed up the change a little bit, or just to remind people of the situation. Ah well *stays up till 3AM again* Log in to see images!

Edit There we are at the bottom of the post

http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/23387

Yeah, I knew and read that, I just wanted to air my grievance. It can’t be that hard (disclaimer: Wyrd has no knowledge of programs beyond their surface) to make dom end time rotate, they changed it (in a different way) for the theme week. Maybe Invariel can achieve results where the old CZ guys failed to perform.

I also don’t really like the last 5 minutes being so very, very essential to winning like markchd, but if I could sometimes get to play during those 5 minutes, I could live with that.

Wyrd edited this message on 04/30/2009 4:22AM

Fiasco

[Flogging a Dead Ho-
rse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

scully Posted:

Simply rotating end time has always been the best idea, imo. Three week rotation: noon, 8 pm, 4 am. Four week rotation: 9 am, 3 pm, 9 pm, 3 am. Should it be changed, it would still screw over someone, but the rotating thing would be more inclusive overall.

Be careful there. If you keep using logic you might be designated as the self appointed moral compbum of Dom. However, you will need to work on making longer posts if you’d like to go for that.

Scully, surely you know that brevity is…wit.

HuGGleS4EVer-
YoNE

Avatar: 11164 2010-02-17 20:44:46 -0500

[Island of Avalon]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Fiasco Posted:

No it isn’t. At least not in the context of game theory, which is obviously what applies here. By allowing for more possible winning strategies to be used (which an element of uncertainty would do), it becomes more strategic.

Although less tactical.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Fiasco

[Flogging a Dead Ho-
rse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

You are reducing the number of winning strategies by eliminating the various end game strategies. All of the strategies that would be in effect with an unknown end time are already on the table today – they just don’t work very well in the top brackets.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

HuGGleS4EVerYoNE Posted:

The only strategy would be to check your bracket every 5 minutes and intervene if necessary. Really, the current ending time sucks for many people but a random time would only be a huge advantage for people who have time all day long. A rotating end time would be the fairest solution.

Amasius edited this message on 05/01/2009 6:17AM

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Amasius Posted:

The only strategy would be to check your bracket every 5 minutes and intervene if necessary. Really, the current ending time sucks for many people but a random time would only be a huge advantage for people who have time all day long. A rotating end time would be the fairest solution.

If the fair solution means players participating less often overall, it’s not necessarily the best solution. Using the 4 rotating times example, I would only be able to participate 1 or 2 weeks out of 4. Likewise if dom is on a weekday, anyone would be similarly penalised at least 2 weeks out of 4, whether they’re in the US or Europe.

IMO we need a compromise between the two that gets the maximum number of people involved, the maximum amount of time.

Re dei sepol-
cri

Avatar: 94160 Sun Aug 02 22:32:53 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Instead of 3AM in Europe and 21PM in the US, i propose 23PM in Europe and 17PM in the US, it should be fair for all, if anything, it is slightly in favour of americans, because some europeans may need to go to sleep before the end time for working hours in the morning.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

This topic really needs a survey, something along the lines of

1. would you be more interested in playing with a different end time

2. which of the following end times would you be online for (chose as many as apply)

3. how happy are you with the current end time

If they’re going to rotate the time, don’t pick times arbitrarily, research it and try to get it as right as you can from the beginning.

That being said having a theme week where end time is Europe-friendly would be a start.

Iain 7

Level 10 Hacker

“Ohacku”

Yes, I agree, us Brits always get the short end of the stick Log in to see images!

Re dei sepol-
cri

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Re dei sepolcri Posted:

Instead of 3AM in Europe and 21PM in the US, i propose 23PM in Europe and 17PM in the US, it should be fair for all, if anything, it is slightly in favour of americans, because some europeans may need to go to sleep before the end time for working hours in the morning.

To me, it seems, that my proposal is very fair and taking count of the higher base of players in US.

17PM is an hour on which people are up and going, not like 3AM which excludes the vast majority of europeans from competing.If some US player is working, well it is a know fact that browser-based games are largely played from the workplace.

If CZ want to make sure that dom end time is out of the US working shift, then make it 18PM in the US and 00AM in europe, but try to place yourselves in the feet of europeans and think if the actual state of things is fair.

nevkick

Avatar: 16052 Thu Dec 04 03:36:13 -0500 2008

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Supports nuclear holocaust in the form of clan love.

I understand that this is an old thread but what about being able to select whether to compete in an Old World or New World timed bracket? It could potentially screw up the most medals leaderboard but then we could sort of satisfy everyone. Or **** off everyone.

KenKaniff

Avatar: 143897 Tue Mar 03 14:45:58 -0500 2009

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

****ing signing this. The current end time just ****s over everyone in Europe.

Re dei sepolcri Posted:

This would be nice.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

KenKaniff Posted:

****ing signing this. The current end time just ****s over everyone in Europe.

Re dei sepolcri Posted:

This would be nice.

The problem with that is that a standard workday is 9-5. And, bumuming the majority of FW players have jobs (taking a risk here), it doesn’t make sense to have dom end at 5 on the nose.

Why can’t we just have rotating times?

Re dei sepol-
cri

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

MeatLoafFan Posted:

The problem with that is that a standard workday is 9-5. And, bumuming the majority of FW players have jobs (taking a risk here), it doesn’t make sense to have dom end at 5 on the nose.

Why can’t we just have rotating times?

Re dei Sepolcri Posted:

If some US player is working, well it is a know fact that browser-based games are largely played from the workplace.

If CZ want to make sure that dom end time is out of the US working shift, then make it 18PM in the US and 00AM in europe, but try to place yourselves in the feet of europeans and think if the actual state of things is fair.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Re dei sepolcri Posted:

Why not just have rotating times? That means that every 2 weeks, it’s advantageous for SOMEONE.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

What about moving the domination end day to the weekend? Then there’s more flexibility in moving the time – won’t have to worry about working hours.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!