Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll D20 or GURPS?

Yakida

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Which system do YOU prefer? D20, while fun, is a bit random an complicated once you have seen GURPS in action. I mean, Respect to the newly dead (Rest in Piece Mr. Gygax, we’ll miss you big guy.) but there’s more than just 1 system out there. So do you like the OG (original Gamer)D20 or the simpler, faster GURPS?

Let’s hear it!

VIVa-ChiCk

Level 14 Troll

aka FireFury

....WhaT?

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

IMHO there’s much room for debate here. Randomness FTL.

Cherrypie

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Gurps? Simpler? Faster?

You either hit your head, or isn’ using enough rulebooks.

Yakida

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Cherrypie Posted:

Gurps? Simpler? Faster?

Well, to be honest, I only just started playing, and it was a lot easier for me to get started with GURPS than D20.

dreamserpent

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

GURPS could be made to be very complicated, or very simple, based on whos running it.

3D6 for lyfe!

ok all i ever did was make characters, I only actually played like once.

Re-Renat0r

[RPG Codex]

Level 10 Re-Re

Cherrypie Posted:

Gurps? Simpler? Faster?

gurps is modular, and at its core much faster and simpler than d20.

of course the call of additional rulebooks is hard to resist, but it’s not like you need them for anything.

Yakida Posted:

Which system do YOU prefer?

my self-made mixture of fate with ore, but out of those two? gurps. i’d rather masturbate to pictures of elizabeth II than play d20.

VIVa-ChiCk

Level 14 Troll

aka FireFury

What the hell ARE you talking about?

Galanodel

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

VIVa-ChiCk Posted:

What the hell ARE you talking about?

They are different pen and paper role playing systems. D20 is more commonly known as D&D

Yakida

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

So, to those who play GURPS, what’s the setting? I’m in a 1st or 2nd age LOTR group.

Vagitarian

[The Flamers of Loa-
thing
]

Level 10 Troll

Im a stupid ****wad

How is gurps faster? 1d20+mods vs rolling three dice and comparing to a target number?

Needless to say, MAKING the characters in d20 is so, so much faster

_Alex_

Level 54 Troll

“Bonegrinder the Merciless”

I was a D&D, AD&D & MSH first edition player, so I may be completely out of it, but I hated D4 / D6 / D8 / D10 / D16 / D20 stuff.

When it came down to DM / GMing, I just stated percentages to my players and just had them roll two D10, the hell with (most) of the rules, since all we cared about was the fun aspect, not a being rule whore. Plus it was hard not to lose all those damn dice Log in to see images!

I still have no idea how GURPS differs, and I’ve done my rudimentary google search Log in to see images! _Alex_ edited this message on 03/10/2008 2:57AM

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I’ve always been a d20 fan. It adds a good element to gameplay and the depth of characters and complexity of games using the d20 system really sets you at a level that once you’ve learned, is very comfortable and with plenty of room to grow.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

haha, it smells so nerdy in here Log in to see images!

Amp Zaphrix

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

That’d be my new cologne, Geekdom by Calvin Klien.

Cherrypie

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I usually play technological settings.

Which means having handy alotta stuff like Cyberpunk, Ultratech, Biotech… sometimes Supers, Magic / Gimoire and / or Psionics … and Robots / Vehicles / Mecha whenever a player wants to make a robot character or new hovercraft. Sometimes both.

Once we tried to make a game with the maximum amount of rulebooks possible, we piled around 13 books in the game. No, really.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!