Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Poll ITT: Super srs question
Poll: Would you rather regret something you DID do, or regret something you DIDN'T do
You must be logged in to vote.

The Baroness

Avatar: 111827 Sat Apr 25 22:25:53 -0400 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I REALLY MISS INCIT, LOL

Okay listen. FalCoN and I were debating some nonsense that finally boiled down to this: would you rather regret something you DID do, or regret something you DIDN’T do. I decided to put it to a poll and would like to hear your opinions and motivations on this matter.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

You are more easily judged on an action you took as opposed to an action you didn’t take. Therefore, bumuming the personal regret to be exactly equal, since an action taken achieves greater notice and more likely has more noticeable negative consequences (if you regret it).

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Boy. I’ve done both — done something I later regretted, and not done something which I later wished I had done.

Gotta go with the latter. The consequences of the negative action were MUCH worse than the pleasure I would have received from the non-action.

ReKaZ

Avatar: 99640 Sun Feb 15 14:49:01 -0500 2009

Level 32 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

I had them both.

But of course, regretting something that you did is more important, cause the effect of an action could scar you or mark you for life, and it’s even worst cause the effect can also involve you’r family or relatives.

And not doing something, could take away a moment of joy, but it’s not compared to the first. Besides, sometimes you do get a second chance to do it.

ReKaZ edited this message on 03/30/2009 7:37PM

Aristrofl

Avatar: 143382 Fri Mar 20 18:13:55 -0400 2009

[League of Internet-
Superheroes
]

Level 33 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

Regretting things I have done does nothing.

Regretting things I didn’t do, sometimes can be rectified.

GGH

Avatar: 105218 Tue Feb 17 15:32:24 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I simply don’t regret.

Things happened and there is no time machine to repair your mistakes.

I think the two shouldn’t be separated. Regret is the same feeling, either about something you’ve done or something you haven’t done.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

I’d rather regret something I didn’t do.

“live in the now” was written on the video tape of Wayne’s World (1 or 2 I don’t remember), I try to live like that Log in to see images!

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

Ugh ok last thing before I go to bed (I should really start sleeping again)

I guess I’m a little young to have too many regrets, so being in the fortunate position of neither marking my own or others lives permanently with my fail, I would say I regret missed opportunities far more in my life to date. I missed so many chances in my personal life over the last year or so, so I just say yes a lot more nowadays.

What I think it boils down to is how much you are willing to gamble with, and being at a young stage of my life I still double down a lot (****ty metaphor I know)

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I AM SURPRISED THAT THIS WEBSITE IS STILL AROUND

Something I did do. Sometimes, the feeling of ” oh I’ve never done that” is totally easier to deal with than the mbumive regret of doing the thing.

The Baroness

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I REALLY MISS INCIT, LOL

No I meant it more in a way of: if you were to make a decision purely based on what you feel at that moment, but you know it might be better for you if you don’t, would you do it knowing you might regret it later? Or would you not give into your feelings and just wonder what would have happened?

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

The Baroness Posted:

No I meant it more in a way of: if you were to make a decision purely based on what you feel at that moment, but you know it might be better for you if you don’t, would you do it knowing you might regret it later? Or would you not give into your feelings and just wonder what would have happened?

That is very difficult to give a general all situations answer to. But I guess I usually lean more towards planning ahead, over analysing and missing those kinds of opportunities, which lately I have been trying to do the opposite of to live a bit more dangerously.

Auser edited this message on 03/30/2009 7:54PM

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

I’d rather regret something I did do as opposed to something I did do. When you regret something you did do, no matter how bad the outcome you at least know the outcome. When it’s something you didn’t do you live the rest of your life with that simple question; “what if?”

And for people like me who think about stupid stuff too much, that can eat away at your mind at times.

Electric-Tur-
tle-02

[spots-****]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

bumuming neither one was an accident, i’d regret the inaction more. failure or consequences are the price paid for learning… what would have happened is unknowable. i’d rather know.

plus, if i’m doing the thing in the first place, i probably believe in it.

Electric-Tur-
tle-02

[spots-****]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

^

hivemind

CreepPipe Posted:

I’d rather regret something I did do as opposed to something I did do. When you regret something you did do, no matter how bad the outcome you at least know the outcome. When it’s something you didn’t do you live the rest of your life with that simple question; “what if?”

And for people like me who think about stupid stuff too much, that can eat away at your mind at times.

The Baroness

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I REALLY MISS INCIT, LOL

CreepPipe Posted:

Yes, that is also my point of view Log in to see images!

scullyangel

Avatar: 44656 Mon Aug 17 23:47:33 -0400 2009

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

If I was a gila monster you could be my devil ray.

Overall I agree with CreepPipe. Of course the context means everything.

Pbuming on murdering someone and regretting it vs the regret one may feel for murdering someone?

– that is quite different than –

Pbuming on getting involved with someone and regretting it vs the regret one may feel when involved with someone and it’s not working out or it ends in a mess.

In the murder scenario I’d prefer to regret not doing it. In most other scenarios I’d prefer to skip the “what if?” I do think a certain amount of perspective is always involved.

Johnny Mac

Avatar: 37704 2022-12-12 08:49:44 +0000

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 60 Troll

I grant you an bumhole x

I usually pbum up things and regret that I never have done them. I hate that so much. I wish I’d rather just done them and even if it went badly I could say “**** it, I tried.”

AIRZ

Level 37 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

scullyangel Posted:

Overall I agree with CreepPipe. Of course the context means everything.

Pbuming on murdering someone and regretting it vs the regret one may feel for murdering someone?

– that is quite different than –

Pbuming on getting involved with someone and regretting it vs the regret one may feel when involved with someone and it’s not working out or it ends in a mess.

In the murder scenario I’d prefer to regret not doing it. In most other scenarios I’d prefer to skip the “what if?” I do think a certain amount of perspective is always involved.

In the murder scenario, I would prefer to have done it and then regretted it later. Regretting later is indicative that the consequences that followed the action may have truly rehabilitated me… However, it doesn’t change the fact that I had, in fact, taken someone else’s life. I made a terrible mistake, had to deal with the consequences (my conscience and possibly jail), and in the end, changed. Even if I had deprived someone of their life, I learned and genuinely felt sorry. I do realize that this is not enough. I know that I would never be able to make up for it, but I would try. This may even mean that I regret the action so much that I can never forgive myself. I believe that my preference in this is illustrative of my desire to grow as a person (and in the worst of cases, even at the expense of others), which can, admittedly, be viewed to be as horrible as the other option.

Preferring the option of true regret that stemmed from a missed chance of murdering someone, in contrast, symbolizes a lot more than a vapid “oh, awesome, in this scenario I’m not in jail and at least I didn’t kill someone.” Imagine what kind of mindframe you would need to be in to truly regret not murdering another individual… Imagine a feeling of utter weakness that the only place you can derive strength is by shooting someone in the head. Regret is a strong emotion, and feeling it towards a missed chance of murder represents utter decay —the state you are in is so bad that you spend your days wishing you had taken someone’s life. This is a haunting image that resonates.

I guess it’s subjective. I think a murderer who can presently reflect on his past and legitimately be sorry is better than the guy who, in the end, is so ****ing torn apart that he, himself, wants to be the murderer.

scullyangel

Avatar: 44656 Mon Aug 17 23:47:33 -0400 2009

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

If I was a gila monster you could be my devil ray.

Airris Posted:

I guess it’s subjective. I think a murderer who can presently reflect on his past and legitimately be sorry is better than the guy who, in the end, is so ****ing torn apart that he, himself, wants to be the murderer.

You have an interesting and uniquely selfish perspective on the world. You will probably have an easier life than most people and may be suited to run for political office. Log in to see images!

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

My take, from advice and personal experience: the things you didn’t do will always haunt you deeper and longer than the things you did. “What If” is one of the most psychologically damaging phrases in the language.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!