Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Politics copyright questions

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

For images, is it illegal to use images of old art? Like say from the 1800’s? Or would that be free now? If not, is there a certain amount of modification that would make it acceptable?

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

I work in the photography industry, so allow me to offer some input.

Any photograph taken prior to 1938 is automatically public domain.

Any photograph taken prior to 1978 is public domain if the original studio is no longer in business.

Also: Any image that has been voluntarily released into the public domain can be used. There are a lot of websites that provide public domain content.

Wikipedia lists a lot of resources here.

Acid Flux edited this message on 03/12/2009 4:10PM

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

What about movies? I’ve been wanting to use images from a well known 1935 film.

Kute Kyoko

Avatar: 158239 Tue Mar 17 00:35:37 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 4 Camwhore

“Like a Virgin”

Wylin Posted:

For images, is it illegal to use images of old art? Like say from the 1800’s? Or would that be free now? If not, is there a certain amount of modification that would make it acceptable?

Anything 100+ years in America is public, anything 50+ years after the Author’s death. Because Disney owns the copyright lobbyists, anything before steamboat willy is usully p cool.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

All images, whether from video or stills, fall into the same category.

Only in very specific cases where the studio in question continually maintains the copyright are there issues (such as early Disney animation, like Steamboat Willie)

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Acid Flux Posted:

I work in the photography industry, so allow me to offer some input.

Any photograph taken prior to 1938 is automatically public domain.

I found photographs from before 1938 with limits on their availability…

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

I used picture of a painting by an artist that died in 1825, but I have no idea when the picture of that painting was taken. Does that matter?

Kute Kyoko

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 4 Camwhore

“Like a Virgin”

Wylin Posted:

I used picture of a painting by an artist that died in 1825, but I have no idea when the picture of that painting was taken. Does that matter?

If hes dead that long you should be good.

Kute Kyoko

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 4 Camwhore

“Like a Virgin”

MC Banhammer Posted:

Im sorry MC Bangavel, I lack your law knowledge. Though I’m pretty sure everything behind 1900 is in public domain. Once again, could be wrong, though I doubt a 105 year old man is going to be wheeled into the legal authorities’ office to attack the site, then again safety first.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Kute Kyoko Posted:

If hes dead that long you should be good.

I don’t think that’s a safe bumumption. The artist’s descendants may have renewed copyright on it.

When you submit a photo for itembuildr, it asks you to link the URLs of your source sites. CZ will no doubt use that to verify legal use.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

I don’t think that’s a safe bumumption. The artist’s descendants may have renewed copyright on it.

When you submit a photo for itembuildr, it asks you to link the URLs of your source sites. CZ will no doubt use that to verify legal use.

I did put a link to my source, I hope since the picture I used is so old that it’s acceptable.. all of this is kindof confusing.

If I saw a picture that I thought was probably copyrighted I could modify it and then it could be a parody of the original work right?

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

Limited availability is different from whether or not it is protected under copyright law.

Additionally, copyright law primarily focuses on using the image for direct sale or promotion, and most situations involving parody are allowed to use an image or likeness, provided that it is perfectly clear that there is no intention of attempting to convince the public that the parody is the real thing.

For example, our Community Forum Wal-Martyr is an obvious parody, and is not a violation of any copyright or trademark laws.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

What about pictures from Flickr? Are those legal?

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

Aldo_Anything Posted:

What about pictures from Flickr? Are those legal?

Even if an image is freely available on a public site with no indication of a copyright, it is still technically protected under copyright law.

You need to use sites that specifically list that the images are available freely for use.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Acid Flux Posted:

Even if an image is freely available on a public site with no indication of a copyright, it is still technically protected under copyright law.

You need to use sites that specifically list that the images are available freely for use.

I came up with it because INCIT uses Flickr pictures. If you’re right, I’ll have to change my submission

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

I think if it’s in Creative Commons, then it’s okay.

I.E. Log in to see images! Acid Flux edited this message on 03/14/2009 7:19PM

Vageena Davis

Avatar: 151797 2010-01-24 16:34:00 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Camwhore

I am easily offended. I also suck fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs.

The creative commons attribution license only allows you to use the artist’s work if you credit the artist on the reproduction or the derivative work. Also, some creative commons licenses are strictly for noncommercial uses.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

pregeneratedusername Posted:

The creative commons attribution license only allows you to use the artist’s work if you credit the artist on the reproduction or the derivative work. Also, some creative commons licenses are strictly for noncommercial uses.

Which is why I was specific to which section of Creative Commons could be used. The section I referred to is available for all uses, even commercial, so long as the original source is credited somehow. And that doesn’t mean it has to be credited directly on the image, just the has to be a credit listed somewhere.

Attribution means: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work – and derivative works based upon it – but only if they give you credit.

That means I can take five different images from that section, use certain elements of each image to create a new image (a derivative work), and as long as I give credit to those five original artists, I can use the new image for any purpose I want, even commercial sales.

There are 12.3 Million photos in that section, too.

Acid Flux edited this message on 03/22/2009 8:42AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!