Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Changeing the way Forumbuildr voting works

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Ok, so with the addition of the new itembuildr feature, we got a taste of what it was like to have all the submissions entered before voting even starts. As opposed to forumbuildr where submissions are periodic and voted on simultaneously.

So far I like the idea, and I think it should be the same way for forumbuildr. It gives everyone a chance to start on the same level, so getting submissions in, in a timely manner is no longer a consideration. (Although I noticed that the top scoring submissions still seemed to be first on the list of submissions, so it’s still not really random.)

I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this, (those who still use forumbuildr regularly). I believe et said in one of the other threads that this was kind of a test, and they might use some itembuildr features in forumbuildr. Good idea/bad idea, opinions?

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

I think it’s a great Idea. But maybe need about 3-4 days for submitting time instead of 1.

Maybe eliminate downvote? I’m not sure if that would mean super overflooding of spam submissions. Discuss about this also.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Ya I agree, there should be a longer time for submitting. I don’t really know what would work, splitting the week up like that maybe? Or maybe we could have two forums at one time like itembuildr, and allow voting for one week, and submissions for the other on one forum. Or would you think that’s too long?

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

We’d absolutely need to eliminate the downvoting, or modify it substantially. At the rate we’re going, it appears that a handful of people are going to eliminate every choice. EVERY choice.

m0r1arty

Avatar: 91736 Tue Mar 24 18:23:44 -0400 2009

[The British Gentle-
men Society
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

To repost what I put here here

How about something like:

Day 1) Players get a maximum of 5 up-votes, which they can use on a random selection of 10% of the total submissions – the top 5 submission from this 10% go through to…

Day 2) Players get a maximum of 5 up-votes and can select from all 50 submissions.

This removes downvoting, bias on particular submissions (due to the random 10% factor) and allows everyone (even the bad ones) to get a fair go at it.

Votes are worth more due to their scarcity too.

For the record I got 12 up, 17 down, overall -5 and out!

It also stop players from getting too many bad ones too I suppose.

-m0r

m0r1arty edited this message on 03/11/2009 6:54PM

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Perhaps the last one left autowins?

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

We’ve talked about limiting the number of votes based on your Buildr score. In other words, the higher your buildr score, the more votes you are allowed, based on a percentage of the total submissions.

Example:

Buildr Score = 40, and there are 200 submissions, you get 200 X 40% = 80 Votes total (Pbumes wouldn’t count)

Buildr Score = 10, and there are 200 submissions, you get 200 X 10% = 20 Votes total (Pbumes wouldn’t count)

This isn’t a bad idea, but I’d like to propose an alternative: Weighted Voted.

First off, a submission has to reach a much lower negative number to be ‘killed’, or we simply remove the stipulation that a certain negative value kills a submission.

Secondly, everyone can vote once for everything.

Next, iIf your buildr score is 1 or less, then each vote you cast only counts for 1 point. (98.6% of players fall into this category, i.e. 34,440 players out of 34,916)

If your buildr score is between 2 to 5, then each of your votes counts x2. (339 players or 0.98%)

If your buildr score is between 6 to 10, then each of your votes counts x3. (73 or 0.21%)

If your buildr score is between 11 to 15, then each of your votes counts x4. (27 or 0.08%)

If your buildr score is between 16+, then each of your votes counts x5. (37 or 0.11%)

Those that contribute more to the forum deserve a stronger influence on it’s future, because they’ve already demonstrated the value of their contributions. And as we can see, that’s less than 1.5% of the player-base.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Acid Flux Posted:

We’ve talked about limiting the number of votes based on your Buildr score. In other words, the higher your buildr score, the more votes you are allowed, based on a percentage of the total submissions.

Example:

Buildr Score = 40, and there are 200 submissions, you get 200 X 40% = 80 Votes total (Pbumes wouldn’t count)

Buildr Score = 10, and there are 200 submissions, you get 200 X 10% = 20 Votes total (Pbumes wouldn’t count)

This isn’t a bad idea, but I’d like to propose an alternative: Weighted Voted.

First off, a submission has to reach a much lower negative number to be ‘killed’, or we simply remove the stipulation that a certain negative value kills a submission.

Secondly, everyone can vote once for everything.

Next, iIf your buildr score is 1 or less, then each vote you cast only counts for 1 point. (98.6% of players fall into this category, i.e. 34,440 players out of 34,916)

If your buildr score is between 2 to 5, then each of your votes counts x2. (339 players or 0.98%)

If your buildr score is between 6 to 10, then each of your votes counts x3. (73 or 0.21%)

If your buildr score is between 11 to 15, then each of your votes counts x4. (27 or 0.08%)

If your buildr score is between 16+, then each of your votes counts x5. (37 or 0.11%)

Those that contribute more to the forum deserve a stronger influence on it’s future, because they’ve already demonstrated the value of their contributions. And as we can see, that’s less than 1.5% of the player-base.

I endorsed something along these lines in one thread, and dammit, I’ll do it again.

We may not follow this exact formula, but I think a mathemagical approach is the way to go.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Already posted this in another thread, but I will quote it again here

I think the downvote/upvote system is not suitable for itembuildr as we have so many submissions yet only 1 winner. Most people downvote other submissions so that they disappear and their submissions get a better chance.

My suggestion: we need 2 stages of voting

– Stage 1: Submissions are divided into brackets (maybe 8). Each player can vote for 3 submissions in each bracket.

– Stage 2: 24 winning submissions are available for voting.

The idea of this is to eliminate mbum downvoting and quickly get rid of bad submissions so in second stage submissions will be judged fairer.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

quangntenemy Posted:

Already posted this in another thread, but I will quote it again here

sup quang how’s it going today

thread’s about forumbuildr not itembuildr, just sayin’

Also weighted votes based on buildr score is a bad idea imo. I don’t think there is any correlation between buildr score and voting fairness.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I support OP to make ForumBuildr have a day or two of submitting and then a few days of voting. Problem is that a lot of times people get overwhelmed and then just don’t want to vote at all.

As far as downvoting goes, in my opinion the best way to solve it is to give people number of DOWNVOTES equal to buildr score.

If you have 0 Buildr score, you can only upvote/pbum suggestions. If you have 10 Buildr score, you can downvote 10 items, ensuring that you choose only the most pathetically awful submissions to be done away with.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Inertia Posted:

sup quang how’s it going today

thread’s about forumbuildr not itembuildr, just sayin’

Also weighted votes based on buildr score is a bad idea imo. I don’t think there is any correlation between buildr score and voting fairness.

Actually it works for forumbuildr too now that we have so many submissions.

And I’m against weighted votes too.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!