Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Politics Itembuildr - Suggested Improvements/fixes thread

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’ve added javascript counters to the itembuildr submitting page. Let’s consider them a beta test there. If they work well and people like them, we can add them to other pages. (note if you have suggestions for other pages that could use em, tubmail me!)

The new shop will go live around the same time the first item is built. Everyone will gain access to it.

As for file extensions, you should probably guess one for a moar file, although since we didn’t tell you this in advance it’s not a bannable rule or anything.

Junk files can be built too, I just haven’t put them into rotation yet Log in to see images!

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Evil Trout Posted:

I’ve added javascript counters to the itembuildr submitting page. Let’s consider them a beta test there. If they work well and people like them, we can add them to other pages. (note if you have suggestions for other pages that could use em, tubmail me!)

The new shop will go live around the same time the first item is built. Everyone will gain access to it.

As for file extensions, you should probably guess one for a moar file, although since we didn’t tell you this in advance it’s not a bannable rule or anything.

Junk files can be built too, I just haven’t put them into rotation yet Log in to see images!

The counter looks very nice, thank you and good speed! Now I almost feel bad for playing with your picture in this thread: http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view/29333 (almost!)

I went back and changed my file so it doesn’t end in .pOOp Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Also, I added a countdown clock to when voting begins, and a count of the number of submissions on the index page (currently around 130, not bad!)

Listen2Reason

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

That character counter is awesome, thanks. Log in to see images!

Also, I was thinking about something that would say how long we had left for submissions, but I hadn’t gotten around to suggesting it. Stop reading my mind! Log in to see images!

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Bob Barker Posted:

Regarding character count:

In word, it says I have 231 characters (with spaces), but itembuildr says I have more than 250. I am going to sign the character count idea, just for this reason.

Edit: Did a test with shortening/deleting words, it turns out 214 characters is the limit. I added spaces (from ~210 characters), and I could add up a total of 214 characters (with spaces). Once I put in another space (215 characters), however, I got the error message.

Same thing’s happening to me, but with the item name.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Are the itembuildr entries run through the Unintelligencer or can’t people type? If they are, I don’t like it, and if not I don’t like people.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Also should I be downvoting ones with incorrect/missing extensions, or is JB just gonna handle all of that?

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

For chrissake make it at least 20 submissions on each page.

260/10 = whole freaking 26 pages to click.

P.S. Also there’s a big bum submission with over 9000 chinese hieroglyphs.

Inconnu edited this message on 03/11/2009 3:36PM

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

This is an adaption of an idea by Adapt, I’d like to have a comment spot that I could write in privately to the author of a submission comments. There were a bunch I might have voted differently if they didn’t have a typo, or I thought maybe English was their fifth language.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Another Idea, how about a 15-20 second minimum between votes? If you’re actually reading them it wouldn’t affect you much, but if you’re just downvoting them all as it sure looks ppl are doing, it would hinder that.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Anyone else have any ideas to combat serial downvoting? I see some suggestions to just eliminate downvoting at all.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

I like the waiting period idea. It might get frustrating on ones that you can immediately perceive as ****, but I think would be worth it if it forced people to read the ideas.

Maybe we could at least try it without downvoting as a test, just to see how everything goes.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Wylin Posted:

Another Idea, how about a 15-20 second minimum between votes?

I don’t want to spend an hour on voting. I can read a lot faster than that.

There should have been a pool of points where you could create your own stats for your item.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

I don’t want to spend an hour on voting. I can read a lot faster than that.

Maybe it should only be a 5 second timer.. I think people went click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, next.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

1337xxxlolololxxx1337 Posted:

There should have been a pool of points

I thought this was going to be a way to address downvoting, and my mind suddenly went “DING!”

What if everyone was given only a number of votes equal to .5% of the total submissions? So this week we would have had only 12 or 13 votes. This pool would apply only to upvotes and downvotes, but you may pbum as many times as you want. That would mean you’d have to think about where to place your votes.

EDIT: But you could go to a “my pbumed” page where you could later up/downvote ideas which were borderline in your mind.

MC Banhammer edited this message on 03/11/2009 6:06PM

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

I thought this was going to be a way to address downvoting, and my mind suddenly went “DING!”

What if everyone was given only a number of votes equal to .5% of the total submissions? So this week we would have had only 12 or 13 votes. This pool would apply only to upvotes and downvotes, but you may pbum as many times as you want. That would mean you’d have to think about where to place your votes.

EDIT: But you could go to a “my pbumed” page where you could later up/downvote ideas which were borderline in your mind.

I like this idea a lot better than basing it on buildr score. I’ve never been above 0 because I’m not creative but my votingstatus is fair so, I’d like to still be allowed to vote.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Wylin Posted:

I like this idea a lot better than basing it on buildr score. I’ve never been above 0 because I’m not creative but my votingstatus is fair so, I’d like to still be allowed to vote.

Maybe having a high buildr score could supplement the existing number of votes you get rather than define it. That way its fair to everyone who can’t get a higher score, and only adds a little extra for having a score

MC Banhammer Posted:

I was trying to put out what I thought Itembuilder was going to be and was disappointed by.

I disagree with limiting the number of votes, because judging by Forumbuildr the vast, VAST majority of submissions are so incredibly terrible people need to get the message that they’re not good at it. There won’t be this many submissions every week, just give it a chance to die down.

Wylin

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Adapt Posted:

Maybe having a high buildr score could supplement the existing number of votes you get rather than define it. That way its fair to everyone who can’t get a higher score, and only adds a little extra for having a score

What about bumigning a percentage to each level of voting status, and letting them have that percentage of the total number of submissions as the amount of votes they get? That way people who can judge fairly get to participate with the people who are creative.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!