Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Evil Trout Watchmen

Arc_73

[ZOMG its the KRAKEN]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Read the book twice, loved it, saw the movie, was disgusted.

Your thoughts?

LadyCooper

Level 24 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Never read the book, just came back from seeing the movie.

All I see when I close my eyes is compound fracture wounds and glowing blue dongs. What the hell did I just watch?

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’ve read the book twice, saw the movie and thought it was fantastic. I loved every second of it, and I hope that one day it will be recognized as a clbumic Log in to see images!

AntiRules187

Avatar: 79421 Tue May 26 22:06:20 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

It's actually an honor to be pranked, it means someone spent real money on you. Sir.

Evil Trout Posted:

I’ve read the book twice, saw the movie and thought it was fantastic. I loved every second of it, and I hope that one day it will be recognized as a clbumic Log in to see images!

second.

Arc_73

[ZOMG its the KRAKEN]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Its pretty give and take really, you can’t make it hollywood length without cutting parts, can’t please all the fanboys without keeping it intact. But they cut out so damn much! Honestly it would have been better off not being filmed imo…

I basically feel the same for it as I do for V for Vendetta: Movie was alright, but it thrashed the books artistic integrity. I don’t blame Moore for taking his name off the project.

I guess i’m just really Watchmen Conservative

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

Avatar: 10017 Sun Nov 02 12:21:15 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

STUPID WANNABE INTERNET CELEBRITY, BTW ED ****ING SUCKS AND I SHOULD DIE

Evil Trout Posted:

never gonna happen.

the actor who played Rorschach was fantastic, everyone else can eat a bowl of male reproductive organ. ****ing crying shame.

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

Avatar: 10017 Sun Nov 02 12:21:15 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

STUPID WANNABE INTERNET CELEBRITY, BTW ED ****ING SUCKS AND I SHOULD DIE

Arc_73 Posted:

Its pretty give and take really, you can’t make it hollywood length without cutting parts, can’t please all the fanboys without keeping it intact. But they cut out so damn much! Honestly it would have been better off not being filmed imo…

I basically feel the same for it as I do for V for Vendetta: Movie was alright, but it thrashed the books artistic integrity. I don’t blame Moore for taking his name off the project.

I guess i’m just really Watchmen Conservative

Moore takes his name off of everything, but that is another story and he is crazy.

AntiRules187

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

It's actually an honor to be pranked, it means someone spent real money on you. Sir.

Drunkenlazybastard Posted:

never gonna happen.

the actor who played Rorschach was fantastic, everyone else can eat a bowl of male reproductive organ. ****ing crying shame.

Who played him? I can’t find it right now.

CaptainPuff

Avatar: 114767 Fri Mar 06 21:31:34 -0500 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 32 Troll

“Permafail”

I’m going to see the movie next week. I saw the book at Target but I didn’t buy it, instead I just browsed through it.

Arc_73

[ZOMG its the KRAKEN]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Drunkenlazybastard Posted:

Moore takes his name off of everything, but that is another story and he is crazy.

He has plenty of reason, really. I would hate to see my books whored out.

Arc_73

[ZOMG its the KRAKEN]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

AntiRules187 Posted:

Who played him? I can’t find it right now.

Jackie Earl Harley, he was also in the original Bad News Bears. Yup.

DOUBLE POST LOLOLZ

AntiRules187

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Arc_73 Posted:

Jackie Earl Harley, he was also in the original Bad News Bears. Yup.

DOUBLE POST LOLOLZ

thanks.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

Never read anything…watched the movie tonight. It was pretty good, but really long.

I think they could have removed about 40 minutes of footage and it would have still been the same movie and my bum wouldn’t have gone as numb.

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

i liked the book better, but the movie wasn’t half-bad.

Arc_73

[ZOMG its the KRAKEN]

Level 37 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

After the movie, all me and my friends could talk about was blue male reproductive organes.

Well, other things too. But still.

Arc_73 edited this message on 03/09/2009 1:02AM

Fie

Avatar: 152207 2011-11-01 00:46:41 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 47 Camwhore

I want to see some real, live poop.

Seen the movie once and the book is near and dear to my heart. I thought the movie was an enjoyable experience and an adequate translation but it didn’t quite reach the heights of greatness reached by the source material; it took the characters a little less seriously, and the alterations to the plot weakened the verisimilitude of the original story and the overall “ompf.” The merit of Watchmen comes very much from the addition of all the tiny pieces of information into one perfect whole, and in my eyes those alterations made during the translation marred this equation and this resulted in an imperfect sum. That’s where the ‘ompfh” is lost.

I recognize the necessity of tailoring— a book and a film aren’t the same thing— but Watchmen, as it has often been said, is “the unfilmable graphic novel.” The very alterations required by the translation mar it inherently. Every step away was a step away from perfection.

So TL;DR It was good, but not quite as good as the book— because they changed it, but they had to change it.

Fie edited this message on 03/10/2009 11:57AM

hyugafan1

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

JEH was godly as rorscharch. that and the hilarious music choices. Alleluia anyone?

MidnightPhoe-
nix

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Read the book first, greatly enjoyed it. Very favorably surprised at the translation to movie. They did an excellent job matching actors to the original art (except Ozymandias, who ended up more arrogant Dutch prick and less Grecian God). Rorschach was awesome, but a few of his best moments were changed, unfortunately (largely to smooth over chunks that got edited out).

There is a lot missing from the book, but including it would have added another hour and a half easily, and I felt the plot changes were generally very well handled. Several of the 80’s social conflicts were removed, but probably because they’d seem forced today (think of early law and order or homicide).

Overall, easily the best comic-bookish movie I’ve ever seen (with Iron Man topping the family-friendly category).

Oh, fun side note – there is virtually no smoking in the entire movie.

Also, as I was leaving there were a trio of blondes “that movie was so cool, but it was sooooooo confusing” Log in to see images!

Regarding music – I thought the choices were generally excellent… although Leonard Cohen’s version of Hallelujah is easily the worst I’ve ever heard. Probably added for Canadian content or some such. Pity, since Patricia O’Callahan is Canadian (i think) and has a decent version.

MidnightPhoenix edited this message on 03/09/2009 1:16AM

StarkJade

Avatar: 27559 2010-03-31 16:35:19 -0400

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

Better Living Through Chemicals

Alan Moore dissociates himself with any film versions of his work because, he says, he just isn’t into film as a medium. Or something along those lines.

Player X

Avatar: 113668 2010-09-01 01:19:19 -0400

[Party Van Enthusia-
sts
]

Level 66 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Evil Trout Posted:

Finally, someone who shares my sentiments. Log in to see images!

On a side note, I thought I would die laughing at the Archie sex scene. The music was funny enough, but when Silk Spectre came and the flamethrower turned on, I thought I would die laughing.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!