Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Ugly Rollover Came Early!

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Here’s what happened. The cron job that does the nightly rollver runs at a fixed time every day (7am.) Since the server updates for DST, this automatically changed to an hour earlier as it should have.

The code that I use to tell us when there’s a new rollover looks like this:

def self.next_reset
    if (Time.now > (Time.now.midnight + HOUR_RESET.hours))
      Time.now.midnight + 24.hours + HOUR_RESET.hours
    else
      Time.now.midnight + HOUR_RESET.hours
    end
  end

In other words, depending on whether the reset has already occured today, it’s either HOUR_RESET after midnight today or HOUR_RESET after midnight tommorow.

This code works great, except on DST. HOUR_RESET, which is set to 7, will happen at the wrong time, since it’s actually 8 hours after midnight on the rollover date only.

So there’s a bug in that function that has to be fixed. It was a cosmetic bug only, and is already back on track.

As for losing visits, I imagine it only affected a very small percentage of people who were saving up their visits for Domination. In fact, until I saw this thread I didn’t know anyone had been affected by it at all: neither of the two people posting here reported it.

Sure, it’s more fun to **** about your lost visits in Flamebate, but if you care about getting your visits back, why not you know, actually report it to me? There’s no way for me in code to determine whether you were saving up visits and lost your chance due to the timer messing you up, so I couldn’t do it automatically.

Especially if you are playing compeitively, you have a responsibility to report things that have affected you. You know it’s not uncommon for us to grant extra visits in the event in cases like these, and I’ll certainly work with whomever was affected!

Tesfan

Avatar: 17396 2011-07-31 06:49:56 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 35 Troll

Sucks **** through a straw in the face of convention

Evil Trout Posted:

Sure, it’s more fun to **** about your lost visits in Flamebate, but if you care about getting your visits back, why not you know, actually report it to me? There’s no way for me in code to determine whether you were saving up visits and lost your chance due to the timer messing you up, so I couldn’t do it automatically.

youre cool

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Evil Trout Posted:

Especially if you are playing compeitively, you have a responsibility to report things that have affected you. You know it’s not uncommon for us to grant extra visits in the event in cases like these, and I’ll certainly work with whomever was affected!

And this is what makes him even cooler.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Evil Trout Posted:

TMed. I wouldn’t have thought to make a report in this case as my track record on recovering lost visits, getting reports addressed or bugs fixed, is not good. Also bug reported.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 03/09/2009 3:58AM

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

imo DST is a medieval concept and has no place in the modern world, why do we still keep it?

I’ll also make a bug report..

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Inertia Posted:

imo DST is a medieval concept and has no place in the modern world, why do we still keep it?

I’ll also make a bug report..

Because it still has value in an agricultural society, and we still depend upon agriculture in most countries.

GigMendecil

Level 21 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

I log in at the most random times, so I wasn’t affected by it. Hell, I didn’t even know about lost forum visits until I read this thread.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!