Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Ugly Rollover Came Early!

B_I_G_S_H_I_T

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 13 Permanoob

“PERMANOOB”

Black Dragon Posted:

Then I do have some level of sympathy. And I do agree that CZ dropped the ball. If one deadline changes due to DST, then all deadline’s needed to change.

Just another oddity to point out, when you put up an auction than ran past daylight savings time, it would run for 1 hour less than what you asked it to do.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Black Dragon Posted:

Having seen you play before, I’m betting you’re going to stay at the table.

Probably yes, but this game really brings out the emo in me Log in to see images!

Stinkhole

Avatar: 149392 Mon Mar 09 02:30:27 -0400 2009

Level 22 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Inertia Posted:

Nobody else have problems with this?

Yep, same here

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

quangntenemy Posted:

I kinda anticipated it so no damage here.

It’s always good to keep an eye on what’s happening in Canada Log in to see images!

I *should* have anticipated it given their track record, but the clock change just wasn’t on my radar since we don’t see it until the end of this month in the majority of Europe. I don’t really follow goings on in Canada, as a habit. Maybe I should. Canada is a p. interesting place, right?

Canada

UK

All the clock changes in the first half of 2009

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Black Dragon Posted:

I don’t really have a significant amount of sympathy in this case. You’re number 4 on the Medals list. If you had 12 visits saved up and were waiting to start a vanilla run right before rollover so that you could actually run 16 visits, then it sucks that you lost approximately 32 Vanilla Scoops, but if that’s your strategy, then you’re redlining the engine to begin with. And I’m wondering if the countdown timer was accurate or not. If it was, then you’ve got no argument at all. If it was inaccurate, then perhaps I have some level of sympathy.

At that level of Domination play, the slightest miscalculation or random event can cause problems. And you know this.

A glitch in the server, a power outage, any number of things could interfere with your strategy at that level. It’s like running into a tiny pebble at 100,000 km/hour versus 80 km/hour. Catastrophic damage versus ”Did you hear something?”

This ‘glitch’ affects you so significantly only because you are playing at such a high level. And it may or may not have affected your competitors. But when you sit at the high-stakes table, random chance is one of the only variables in the game, because everyone at that table plays so well.

It may not be an intentional part of the game by design, but it’s there, and you either have to grit it out and stay at the table, or cut your losses and run.

Having seen you play before, I’m betting you’re going to stay at the table.

This.

Keep in mind, for all your whining about “missing visits” most players in America can’t even take advantage of the 16-visit rollover, since it happens at 5-6 am for us here.

It seems like all the European and foreign players **** and moan about domination time end and forumbuildr end, but when it comes to other advantages like getting to have a 16-visit solo raid, shoot, they don’t mind a bit.

Maybe we should start having rollover times change every night too, “just to make it fair.” You don’t hear Americans whining about not being able to utilize the 16-visit raid.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Shii Posted:

Maybe we should start having rollover times change every night too, “just to make it fair.” You don’t hear Americans whining about not being able to utilize the 16-visit raid.

Wasn’t there a complaint about the rollover time for Forumbuildr?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Yeh. Grayson and Iconnu were both complaining that the ForumBuildr rollover time was unfair cuz they couldn’t get suggestions in til the next morning.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Shii Posted:

This.

Keep in mind, for all your whining about “missing visits” most players in America can’t even take advantage of the 16-visit rollover, since it happens at 5-6 am for us here.

It seems like all the European and foreign players **** and moan about domination time end and forumbuildr end, but when it comes to other advantages like getting to have a 16-visit solo raid, shoot, they don’t mind a bit.

I lost visits because the interface provided incorrect information. Whatever tactics I was using was irrelevant. Perhaps I was just intending to use a spare 4 visits before rollover, and raid later? Should I have done that on a US timescale, just for you? Or perhaps I should have used those visits when *I* was available to play the game. Which happened to be late morning, UK time, since I was busy yesterday.

Also, there’s some difference between seeking a small advantage mid week, and being prevented from taking part in a game at all. Such subtle distinctions are lost on you it seems, though.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Also, you realise you’re trying to say it’s fair that players from Europe are disadvantaged through bugs, because they’re also disadvantaged through the time dom ends. Right? Or perhaps you didn’t actually read what you quoted, when you agreed with it?

I know a number of players in the US sometimes use their visits on rollover. EST = 7am.

Finally, 16 visit raids are very difficult, whenever I’ve attempted one. It’s basically a pretty big gamble, since activity shoots up shortly after rollover.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 03/08/2009 2:03PM

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Also, you realise you’re trying to say it’s fair that players from Europe are disadvantaged through bugs, because they’re also disadvantaged through the time dom ends. Right? Or perhaps you didn’t actually read what you quoted, when you agreed with it?

Those are two separate issues.

Bugs affect all players equally, unless the bugs are only encountered through a specific set of cirgreat timesstances that only a specific set of players encounter.

Time Zone advantages/disadvantages are going to always exist. I’ve noticed that the least amount of server lag is very late at night over here (after about Midnight Eastern time until about 7 a.m.) That’s a non-primne time for U.S. players, but a prime time for European users. The site runs more smoothly for you during your ‘peak time’ than for ours.

No matter how you look at it, there will always be pros/cons. It’s up to you, as the individual user, to make the best of your particular situation.

And since this is a game based in the Western Hemisphere, that means everyone in the Eastern Hemisphere is expected to adapt as needed. It’s no different than demanding that a game based out of Japan, written entirely in Japanese for Japanese players, must have an English translation.

Simply play the game as designed. The fact that the time zone difference creates an additional challenge on your part is simply a fact of life.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Acid Flux Posted:

Those are two separate issues.

Bugs affect all players equally, unless the bugs are only encountered through a specific set of cirgreat timesstances that only a specific set of players encounter.

The specific set of players being, the ones who bumumed that the interface was providing accurate information regarding rollover time, and had visits to use near then. Irrespective of what timezone they’re in.

I honestly don’t know if you guys are trying to make excuses for a buggy game (which is the issue here) or if you’re using the thread to have a go at any Europeans who play this game, which would amount to misdirection and muddying the water at least, or trolling

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 03/08/2009 3:27PM

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

The specific set of players being, the ones who bumumed that the interface was providing accurate information regarding rollover time, and had visits to use near then. Irrespective of what timezone they’re in.

And they had to have 9+ visits saved up for it to matter.

Anyone with 8 or fewer visits had nothing negative happen here.

There are two types of players that have 9+ visits saved up that close to rollover.

1. Non-active or low-activity players/alts. These players/alts may have even missed dozens of rollovers already. Two of my alts have been sitting on 12 visits for over a week now.

2. Highly competitive players that are trying to maximize their competitive edge.

The only valid complaints, in this situation, would come from group 2.

And while I agree that the inconsistency between displayed time of rollover and actual rollover was detrimental, I don’t believe that’s an implication that the entire system is irrevocably flawed and needs to be scrapped.

I honestly don’t know if you guys are trying to make excuses for a buggy game (which is the issue here) or if you’re using the thread to have a go at any Europeans who play this game, which would amount to misdirection and muddying the water at least, or trolling

Neither.

There are obviously bugs in this game, like any other. And we all know that this game is unfinished and we’re all unpaid beta-testers. And if you are choosing to engage in a highly competitive aspect of the game, knowing that there are unknown bugs out there, then that is an bumumed risk. Any random factor can cause a disturbance in your gameplan.

That’s just the nature of playing at that level in an unfinished game.

I’m reminded of some videogame speedrun challenges, and the fact that taking the time to save a game can cause a delay which increases your overall time. So one tactic is to not save at all and run through at top speed.

But if you run into a glitch or a power outage, you just lost all of that progress.

You took an bumumed risk, with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails.

If we can talk in specifics, can you tell us what your intended purpose of saving so many visits was? Were you going for a 16 visit Vanilla run?

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Acid Flux Posted:

If we can talk in specifics, can you tell us what your intended purpose of saving so many visits was? Were you going for a 16 visit Vanilla run?

Muddying the water then, unless you’re just asking out of curiosity.

FWIW, the answer is, I hadn’t decided. FW is a game of chicken – the advantage goes to the player who gets their scoops last (and therefore protects them best) So running a 16 visit raid when the scoop count is low is actually a tactical error, you’ll just lose them all again.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Muddying the water then, unless you’re just asking out of curiosity.

I don’t see how asking for you to clarify how it causes a problem for you to be muddying the water.

FWIW, the answer is, I hadn’t decided. FW is a game of chicken – the advantage goes to the player who gets their scoops last (and therefore protects them best) So running a 16 visit raid when the scoop count is low is actually a tactical error, you’ll just lose them all again.

I now understand exactly why this caused such a problem for you.

The bug should be fixed, agreed. However, the severity of the impact on your gameplay was more a factor of your style of gameplay than the bug itself.

Additionally, this demonstrates an advantage for European players. Playing chicken at 4 to 7 a.m. for the U.S. players is not a realistic possibility, except for the most hard-core players. But if that’s late afternoon for you guys across the pond, that’s a much more viable option for you.

Like I said, there’s pros & cons all around, and we each have to adjust our play-style to our situations.

That being said, I’m looking forward to a technical explanation from CZ & ET as to how the two timers were out of synch.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Acid Flux Posted:

Additionally, this demonstrates an advantage for European players. Playing chicken at 4 to 7 a.m. for the U.S. players is not a realistic possibility, except for the most hard-core players. But if that’s late afternoon for you guys across the pond, that’s a much more viable option for you.

Well a Euro player may have the option to do a 16 visit raid, but it’s for a small scoop advantage, and well before the end of the round. And it’s impossible to do such a raid on more than 1 alt. I wouldn’t have run such a raid on 4 simultaneously, that’s beyond my capabilities. A midday rollover means I could only possibly do this on a Sunday, as I have a job. It’s really not that great of an advantage though – 3 bumholes and it’s gone. Again, the reason I had visits saved was because I didn’t have time to use them yesterday, and intended to use them before rollover today.

Losing 4 visits is a bigger hit than the missed vanilla from a longer solo raid. Ontop of the vanilla, there’s lost pistachio (including reaching the top of any loops at the wrong time) lemon, flezz and moar parts, and yes, forum visit count for the most ****tastically stupid leaderboard peen of all.

Acid Flux

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

You’ve presented a strong and valid argument. I fully support you receiving 4 replacement visits.

And if my opinion mattered to anyone at CZ, then this comment would have some value.

As it stands, I wonder if we should start a betting pool about the answer we’ll receive regarding this glitch? Log in to see images!

IB6UB9

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

WE’VE BEEN JEWED

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Acid Flux Posted:

As it stands, I wonder if we should start a betting pool about the answer we’ll receive regarding this glitch? Log in to see images!

I’ll go on the record for a “sorry the timer wasn’t right” and nothing else.

Cream O 1337

Level 35 Hacker

ANAL MASTURBATOR

Wylin Posted:

I’ll go on the record for a “sorry the timer wasn’t right” and nothing else.

Considering that’s the usual response, that’s a fair play.

It’d be too much work to reimburse every single person who claimed to be ripped off anyway.

IB6UB9

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

MOD EDIT: This is not a role playing forum. No need for coded insults/comments. Consider yourself warned.

IB6UB9 was banned for this post by Evil Trout

IB6UB9 edited this message on 07/23/2009 2:25PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!