Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Existentialism and Trolling

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

What is it that brings us to the act of trolling? Is it a desire to pwn, or is it a deeper subconscious urge to establish not only dominance, but to desperately prove we exist? There are many similarities between trolling and human nature. Trolling is in some ways human nature unchecked by societal norms or moral inhibitions. Trolls in some ways are ubermensch, in others they are children.

We are all trolls here. We all have different methods, but we are linked in our efforts and stuck in a never ending game without score or seasons. A game where winning and losing are no more relevant than the last poorly delivered pun.

The troll hive mind is the baseline for all thought and speech on this site. This hive mind is not so much a psychic phenomenon as it is a collection of the lowest common denominators from all reaches of the Internet. Those in the hive mind are so similar in their speech and thought patterns than even in moments where they believe themselves to be acting in an original or individual manner their actions are the same. Should you ever need proof of this play a few rounds of INCIT.

All trolls are capable of feeding into the hive mind, though the small percentage of trolls who are capable of rising above their re-re brethren are no more original or individual. On Forumwarz you have a series of clbumes to choose from and each trolls the fictional sites in their own way, but regardless of clbum, you are all trolls at heart. This moves beyond the game itself and moves into real life. Whether you derail conversation by crashing a thread, being emo, posting shock, whoring yourself, or being annoying and foolish; you are trolling.

So if it is easy to believe that we are all trolls and that in all of our actions we are trolling in a collective but individual manner. Then it stands to reason that the majority of trolls are either unaware of this fact, or they desperately try to deny it. Those few trolls that are aware of this and continue in their efforts without purpose or desire to stand out are sleeping through a dream within a dream.

The Internet presents a new facet of the human mind our ancestors did not have. We are able to communicate with each other thousands at a time without leaving our homes. We are able to speak without apparent consequence. In our collective privacy we are allowed everything and denied nothing.

Is it not possible that this overstimulation has led to certain individuals being not only devoid of self awareness but incapable of becoming such? In a world without challenge or taboo, does comfort breed ignorance, or does ignorance breed comfort? The existence of a troll is individual in nature. The act of trolling is done for the benefit of self. The reception of a trolls actions are judged by the troll himself and the perceived negativity of targets is seen as success as any attention paid to a troll is food.

Trolls become stronger with attention.

If this is all possible, even remotely true. Then it stands to reason than our own reality as a troll is individual. That none of you exist, that I don’t exist. That nothing exists save for each of us in our own little world, and whatever interaction we have is tainted by our own perception. So much so that ego acts as a translucent window to the soul.

Or perhaps, it is possible no one will read this, and should anyone take the time they would take it upon themselves to destroy and belittle it rather than take it into consideration. We are all trolls, are we not?

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

Xylon Posted:

The Internet presents a new facet of the human mind our ancestors did not have. We are able to communicate with each other thousands at a time without leaving our homes. We are able to speak without apparent consequence. In our collective privacy we are allowed everything and denied nothing.

That there, tis the truth.

FuzzyLogic

Avatar: 137346 Mon Mar 02 18:55:37 -0500 2009

Level 27 Hacker

“1337”

Nice read. Very thoughtful. I need another beer.

mack2028

Avatar: 123770 Wed Feb 11 15:40:06 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

wow, intense.

let me ask, could trolling be an outlet for the discontent one encounters irl. from what ive seen ( and admittedly this is a small sample, consisting only of trolls ive known irl) many turn to the act of trolling to vent there frustration with their real lives.

then again i could be wrong

Recommencer

Avatar: 135255 Tue Mar 24 17:02:05 -0400 2009

[Throne of Blood]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I think the purpose of trolling is acceptance (don’t deny, ****es). Certainly, I feel it myself, certain neurons clicking when I find some sort of acceptance into the hive mind. Sameness of self, compound self-identity, it’s the only (current and accepted…ugh) source of happiness.

Maybe the word uber-troll might be appropriate here. Although…newsflash, you rapt newfabulous persons, ‘uber-troll’ in this case would NOT mean King Troll. Anyway…

It is possible to know you’re dreaming. Such awareness is the source of true happiness. Yes, the matrix can bring happiness.

I blame the so-called “attention deficit disorder” on the following items: da intarwebz, television, 30-minute television programs. Easy digital communication (by which I mean, communication in which we have tons more code {e.g.: words} and much less context {e.g.: reality}, although this is only the easy definition, trust me) causes the human to not only thinking faster and shallower, but also to war with their own conception of full human communication and expression. Overall, it’s a thinning of quality, and raising youths in this medium without equal representation of actual human interaction and communication therapy, will only cause a new Dark Ages. And, again, no, it’s not as cool as you think it would be. [/quote]

*whine whine* but, but, but, I’m emoi. *whine whine*

****ital, just bring back Gothzilla and his hot draginz…peace.

Recommencer edited this message on 03/04/2009 9:59AM

GGH

Avatar: 105218 Tue Feb 17 15:32:24 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Good read.

Here, have a Log in to see images!

retron

[very special noobs]

Level 18 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

Chawin Posted:

That there, tis the truth.

Either you have topped a great post about trolls with an inconceivably good troll, thus making it.. ironic?

Or you’re a ****ing idiot who thinks outlining the obvious is a sign of being equally wise.

retron

[very special noobs]

Level 18 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

GGH Posted:

Good read.

Here, have a Log in to see images!

LOL fabulous personIT

retron edited this message on 03/04/2009 10:14AM

Recommencer

[Throne of Blood]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

retron Posted:

Either you have topped a great post about trolls with an inconceivably good troll, thus making it.. ironic?

Or you’re a ****ing idiot who thinks outlining the obvious is a sign of being equally wise.

I don’t know if you get the point of his post, but you’re 1/2 right regarding the obvious.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

Fortunato Posted:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The true currency of Forumwarz, beyond flezz, beyond BP even, is attention. The players who are best known or best loved are the best at getting attention.

Fortunato edited this message on 03/04/2009 10:20AM

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

retron Posted:

Whats this irony you speak of?

I was just complimenting this man of his post.

Recommencer

[Throne of Blood]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Chawin Posted:

Whats this irony you speak of?

I was just complimenting this man of his post.

I think he thinks he’s in an RP forum *shrug*

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Trolling serves the important purpose of reminding those in power that they actually have nothing resembling real control. Any time anyone decides they want to, they can turn around and say “screw you and your system, I don’t care if you banish me, you’re lame anyway” and what can anyone else do to that?

No matter how much good press any society gives itself, only the people who live in that society can decide if it’s good. And sometimes, someone likes to be the fool who says the emperor has no clothes. That’s a troll.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Let’s think about societal punishments and a serious troll’s reponse, for example:

1) Society can imprison you, thus removing your liberty: And what? Society will provide me with a roof over my head, free food, free medical care, until I die? That’s not so bad.

2) Society can exile you, thus removing your society sponsored safety: So you’ll send me out into the world and I can do whatever I want wherever I go as long as it’s not here? That’s not such a lousy deal. I hate it here anyway.

3) Society can, if it wishes, kill you without repercussions: Well I was going to die in the blink of an eye for the universe anyway.

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

Perhaps it is not so much that a troll cares not for the world, but that he is so jaded and desensitized to it that the collective reality of rules and so called common sense has lost it’s ability to offend or deceive him.

Jim McPerson

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

On internets, as much as in any other part of human reality, it is always easier to destroy things rather than create them. A lazy being always chooses easier path, one that consumes least possible energy. This, translated to terms of human behavior in forums/discussion groups/chatrooms, means that much more times a person will get negative reactions than helpful, constructive answers to their problems and queries. Trolling and flaming are just symptoms of intellectual laziness that almost all of us sucgreat timesb to at times.

It is always easier to type ‘kill urself lol’ to 2000th attention-craving person who says they’ll hurt themselves. It’s much easier to waste time and play flash games than to mod/code. It is always easier to be desensitized and hide behind thickened skin. It was probably easier for me to write a 2-sentence post instead of all this. But sometimes, you just have to defy your own unproductive, apathetic side and step out of troll mindframe, lest we want to become completely numb and dehumanized.

tl;dr: a bunch of words that urge people to not be trolls every now & then

Celerysteve

Avatar: 61989 2011-12-28 11:21:37 -0500

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Right from the moment when I saw Saw, I laughed.

I remember back in around ‘97 when everybody was starting to first get the internet… I was with a friend of mine at some other kid’s house, and up to this point, you know, I had heard about “The information super-highway” (remember that term?) but never really seen it. And like, how most people would be like, “Wow this technology will redefine communication and give access to an exponentially growing database of knowledge and information and drastically impact society blah blah blah”—never even crossed my mind— it was just “Holy ****… We can **** with people all day on this… Let’s go into one of those chat room things and **** people off.”

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

Celerysteve Posted:

I remember back in around ‘97 when everybody was starting to first get the internet… I was with a friend of mine at some other kid’s house, and up to this point, you know, I had heard about “The information super-highway” (remember that term?) but never really seen it. And like, how most people would be like, “Wow this technology will redefine communication and give access to an exponentially growing database of knowledge and information and drastically impact society blah blah blah”—never even crossed my mind— it was just “Holy ****… We can **** with people all day on this… Let’s go into one of those chat room things and **** people off.”

and truth be told, it needed to happen, because people were (and frequently remain) waaaaaayy to ****ing serious on the net.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

Even though I can agree that trolling may be seen as a bad thing, it is, as Fortunato already said, beneficial in many, many ways. Trolling is to the internet what protesters (and i don’t mean PETA protests here. I mean Jan Palach protests) are to the real world: a suicide run to make a point, to remind everyone that the internet is no place for any kind of order, other than the one that spawns from the internet itself. I, for one, find the anarchy on the internet refreshing and i wouldn’t give it up for anything. A troll is, simply put, a militant for freedom, be it only so that he may use it to trick people into seeing disturbing images.

Edit: fixed a couple spelling mistakes and clarified a few ambiguous constructions.

Patently Chill Prestidigitator edited this message on 03/05/2009 5:39AM

Drunkenlazyb-
astard

Avatar: 10017 Sun Nov 02 12:21:15 -0500 2008

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

STUPID WANNABE INTERNET CELEBRITY, BTW ED ****ING SUCKS AND I SHOULD DIE

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!