Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Forumbuildr rollover time

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Oh, I’ve got a sweet new argument.

There are two types of voters on the buildr: those who just want to have fun and the builders themselves. The first type is too often scared to scroll through 100+ entries in a given branch, so if you submit early – you simply get more votes than latter, who get only the competitors’ downvotes.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Inconnu Posted:

Oh, I’ve got a sweet new argument.

There are two types of voters on the buildr: those who just want to have fun and the builders themselves. The first type is too often scared to scroll through 100+ entries in a given branch, so if you submit early – you simply get more votes than latter, who get only the competitors’ downvotes.

This is wrong. By not submitting the first night and waiting until morning, you miss the huge wave of downvotes that always comes (at least in forum ideas) shortly after forumbuildr rollover. You can think your ideas, which might do well for an hour or so, will survive the night, only to have them all quickly go to -5. It’s much safer to wait until Monday morning to start submitting, and that’s what I recommend to anyone trying to increase their buildr score.

This happens because the people voting on Sunday night are all forumbuildr submitters and are trying to get their own entries ahead. Throughout the week, there are a lot more people voting who don’t necessarily have a vested interest in seeing all the entries except their own downvoted. If there weren’t, nothing would ever get upvoted at all. Week after week I see a huge wave of downvotes on Sunday night and more “normal” voting starting on Monday. I mean, if you really want to get the “advantage” of having a bunch of your entries go to -5 in a few hours, by all means get the submission time changed so that you can experience it for yourself.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Maybe the problem will go away if you eliminate downvotes?

I just thought of how I usually vote. Well, I hardly ever cast any upvote at all. Usually I downvote entries I don’t like and pbumvote entries I think is acceptable. ..I rarely see entries that I think is genuinely good.

Oh, usually I upvote entries which looks like an attempt to troll Forumbuildr.

Also stop whining.

Neonie

Avatar: 135873 Fri Feb 27 01:02:13 -0500 2009

[The British Gentle-
men Society
]

Level 22 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

I disagree, where as it is always helpful to get your entry in quite early, even if you submit one or two days later then roll over, you can still get some decent votes, the key here is you actually have to be FUNNY.

Also, just because something got a lot of upvotes won’t always mean it ONLY gets upvotes if it’s shown first, if somethings not funny it’ll get down voted once more people see it sucks, or upvoted when people see it’s awesome Log in to see images!

Bottom Line:

-Yes it helps to have an early entry

-No it’s not the only thing that matters Log in to see images!

Neonie

Avatar: 135873 Fri Feb 27 01:02:13 -0500 2009

[The British Gentle-
men Society
]

Level 22 Hacker

“Mafiaboy”

Inertia Posted:

Oh, usually I upvote entries which looks like an attempt to troll Forumbuildr.

That is probably the reason downvotes exist, to extinguish those that are trying to do stupid **** like post LOLcat pictures. Grant it doesn’t WORK as well as it should (and that should really be moderated).

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

plk Posted:

This happens because the people voting on Sunday night are all forumbuildr submitters and are trying to get their own entries ahead. Throughout the week, there are a lot more people voting who don’t necessarily have a vested interest in seeing all the entries except their own downvoted. If there weren’t, nothing would ever get upvoted at all.

So don’t allow submitters to downvote entries in any forumbuildr category they have entries in? Vested interest = conflict of interest.

Or just have checks for anyone who downvotes a large number of entries in a particular category, except for one or two (you only like *1* idea in a category?) If someone just downvotes everything, ignore/filter out their votes, as they’re obviously not exercising any judgement.

Inconnu

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

If downvotes will be eliminated, submit timing becomes even more important. It would be virtually impossible to reach the top-5 winners, who submitted first.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I agree with plk that a lot of focused downvoting happens in those first 8 – 15 hours.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

So don’t allow submitters to downvote entries in any forumbuildr category they have entries in? Vested interest = conflict of interest.

That is a really good idea. Only having an upvote or pbum option on your direct competition would prevent you and your 5 friends from killing off the competition overnight.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I think that something like that might help, but I think ET or JB would really need to take a close look at forumbuildr statistics first. Are there really enough people voting who aren’t submitting any forum ideas at all, so that enough entries will be eliminated in order to make voting manageable? I think it would be extremely discouraging if people had to page through a huge mbum of entries that never decreases, or if their own entries just never got voted on because of the increased quantity of entries. And due to how the forum ideas with more votes are weighted to appear earlier in the voting list, a larger batch of entries means that the entry that gets an early lead will run away with a win even more quickly.

I also don’t necessarily think it’s group voting that is causing this. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some of that going on, but you have to understand that the people who are downvoting are also simultaneously being downvoted themselves, and this happens as individual-level behavior that’s done out of individual self-interest. So some weeks, it’s a big race to 0 or -5, and nobody gets many positive votes at all until the morning. Then, you’re lucky if everything you submitted isn’t gone. There might be another week where the Sunday voting is relatively generous, and you actually do miss out if you held off on submitting. But I think it’s much more common for the earliest-submitted entries to get pummeled by everybody. And this of course happens on a much larger scale when there’s some flamebate thread or community voting campaign that whips people up into a frenzy of dissatisfaction and downvoting, and then everybody who’s submitted entries has to pay for it.

Doctor Whom

Avatar: 90155 Sun Nov 23 20:45:54 -0500 2008

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

scullyangel Posted:

I agree with plk that a lot of focused downvoting happens in those first 8 – 15 hours.

That is a really good idea. Only having an upvote or pbum option on your direct competition would prevent you and your 5 friends from killing off the competition overnight.

And then people would just downvote everything before they make their own submissions, with the added benefit that they could see what types of ideas are getting the best ‘real’ votes.

If we are going to eliminate downvoting, do it across the board. Don’t make it conditional on whether someone has submitted yet or not.

Inconnu

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!