Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Forumbuildr rollover time

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

It’s not a rocket science for anyone that 50% forumbuildr submissions are those made in first 1-2 hours after rollover. This fact puts all non-American builders into kinda unfair position. Could we make rollover time for forumbuildr shift every week (similar to proposed for Domination)?

Alternative.

We could implement the “pre-post” engine on Sundays: I spend (half of*) my next week submissions on Sunday, and they come into life immediately after Monday rollover with the new buildr forum.

* – half instead of full quantity could fix the possible problems with someone’s buildr score going negative.

Czarnian bum-
bumin

Avatar: 43648 Fri Dec 05 19:45:05 -0500 2008

[Bigguyinblack Fan -
Club
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

"He who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it."

Too complex. Keep it the way it is.

If rollover happens at 9 p.m., which is approximately 2-4 a.m. in Europe (depending on your location), then if it matters so much to you to get your new submission in early, get up a bit earlier on Monday and submit them then.

I’ve won at least two Forumbuildr-related E-Peens, and I’ve never submitted in the first 6 hours after rollover. I usually do so Monday afternoon, about 20+ hours after rollover.

Grayson81

Level 68 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I agree with the OP.

By the time I log in on Monday morning to submit some stuff to Forumbuildr, the top entries are already on +10 or even +15. If my submissions are very slightly better than those, they’ll still finish the week on a lower score.

This is especially true because of the rather bizarre “random” way that entries are shown to future voters – that entry which is already on +15 is more likely to be shown to potential voters than mine, which makes it easier for it to get even more upvotes.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Grayson81 Posted:

I agree with the OP.

By the time I log in on Monday morning to submit some stuff to Forumbuildr, the top entries are already on +10 or even +15. If my submissions are very slightly better than those, they’ll still finish the week on a lower score.

This is especially true because of the rather bizarre “random” way that entries are shown to future voters – that entry which is already on +15 is more likely to be shown to potential voters than mine, which makes it easier for it to get even more upvotes.

You still managed to get a buildr score of 34 and lots of Log in to see images!

Inconnu

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Grayson81 Posted:

This. Especially the “random” part.

Aldo: I get 100+ chocos each week. The problem is this is simply not fair.

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Honestly early Sunday night is often a hit-or-miss downvotefest (although a few entries manage to hit 10-15) so I usually go for Monday morning even though I can usually be on when buildr ends.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Grayson81 Posted:

I agree with the OP.

You get Alpha almost every single week, Grayson. Don’t give me that.

If anything, we need to keep you from submitting as long as possible to give other people a sporting chance. >-> Think of it as a handicap on those of us not as incredibly good at Buildr.

Obsidian Bla-
cksteel

Avatar: 114995 Thu Jun 04 19:11:28 -0400 2009

Level 30 Permanoob

“Shit-for-Brains”

Provide some actual data to support these claims, and then we can have a relevant discussion. When the OP is complaining about rollover time, and also states that he gets 100+ chocolate a week, there’s a definite contradiction there.

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

Premature submitting would generate absolute nonsense if there’s a late overtake in the ideas category which has happened in the past. But I don’t see what’s against a 24h submission period preceding any voting.

EVECHARM

Avatar: 114577 Tue Feb 17 05:11:14 -0500 2009

[pizza party]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

It isn’t like everyone only votes at roll over when they are done with their submissions. with only 10 submissions I get a steady stream of Log in to see images!

John Fitzger-
ald Kennedy

Avatar: 43547 2009-10-17 10:48:44 -0400

[Dead Presidents So-
ciety
]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Grayson81 Posted:

I agree with the OP.

For most recent Forum: Rule Thirty-Fourum

Grayson81 successfully submitted:

4 Thread Titles (Winning the Cool Threads, Man E-Peen)

2 Typical Posts (Winning the Master of Inanity E-Peen, which Iconnu won as well)

2 Angry Replies

Total Builder Score: 8 (More than any other player this week, thereby winning the Forumbuildr ALPHA E-Peen)

I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that waiting until Monday morning to make your submissions is not hurting you at all.

TL;DR – You can’t really complain about the current system when you are winning under the current system.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

I had 3 winning threads… Log in to see images!

Blu3Schnauzer

Avatar: 16117 Sun Feb 22 17:55:30 -0500 2009

[Fetal Alcohol Pupp-
ets
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I’ve submitted things on Monday night and they’ve been included. I don’t think submitting on Sunday night first thing gives you that much of an advantage. True, you get up there first, but I’ve noticed a lot more downvoting tends to go on on Sundays.

Skyman747

Avatar: 115546 2015-08-12 18:58:09 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

DIRTY ****ING fine upstanding member of society woman's genitals

Blu3Schnauzer Posted:

I’ve noticed a lot more downvoting tends to go on on Sundays.

This.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

But there are some categories, like threads, where it is especcially important to get entries in early. I’ve noticed that that is one place where it is difficult to get anything in if you don’t submit early on.

Also,

Easter Bunny Posted:

Provide some actual data to support these claims, and then we can have a relevant discussion. When the OP is complaining about rollover time, and also states that he gets 100+ chocolate a week, there’s a definite contradiction there.

Actual data to support which claims?

ShadyPixels

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

I think I put in a winning thread title on Wednesday, the other two I got were on Tuesday…

So really this isn’t that much of an issue, I think the quality of the submission is more important than the timing.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

ShadyPixels Posted:

I think I put in a winning thread title on Wednesday, the other two I got were on Tuesday…

So really this isn’t that much of an issue, I think the quality of the submission is more important than the timing.

Truthfully, its both. Late ideas sometimes make it, and sometimes good ideas never get a chance. I don’t think anyone can really discount the effects of either of these two factors. (quality vs. timing)

Inconnu

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

lots_of_incomprehensive_readers Posted:

Why bother if you’re still winning?

Inconnu Posted:

The problem is this is simply not fair.

Plus, it’s already confirmed change for Dom. Why Forumbuildr should differ?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I don’t really like the change for Dom either.

Screwing over the majority of the players to cater to a small foreign subgroup doesn’t make much sense.

EDIT: Also, the last hour of dom matters about 100 times more than the first hour of Buildr.

Shii edited this message on 03/02/2009 1:10PM

Grayson81

Level 68 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

Black Dragon Posted:

TL;DR – You can’t really complain about the current system when you are winning under the current system.

Of course I can!

Maybe I didn’t phrase my original post well enough – I should have used a hypothetical person rather than myself. My complaint is not that I can’t do well under the present system. It is that the present system isn’t fair and that this unfairness leads to worse submissions being entered and worse submissions being accepted.

One of my main tactics in winning is to wake up very early on Monday morning and to post as many entries as I can there and then. If I posted 10 ideas on Monday morning, came home from work and posted another 10 ideas that I’d been thinking about during work, then posted another few ideas after I’d been thinking about it during the evening, then pwned some forums or surfed the internet and posted another few ideas with that inspiration then my average submission would probably be better. They might not do quite as well (because the other players who didn’t submit at the earliest possible opportunity, but who had better submissions than me, would have a better chance of beating me), but they would be better. The average quality of the submissions which were actually accepted would also be better.

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the big problems is the way that the “random” submissions are presented to voters who aren’t going to vote on the entire list. The ones which already have higher scores seem to be presented more often, which gives them an unfair advantage.

I’m looking at my submission list right now and at two entries in the same catagory. One has a score of 14 (14 upvotes and 0 downvotes) and the other, which I think is funnier, has a score of 8 (from 9 upvotes and 1 downvote). I can pretty much guarantee that the first one will end the week on a higher score than the second, even though I only submitted these entries 14 or so hours ago. This is because many more people will get a chance to vote on the first one, so even if 10% of them vote it down and every single remaining person upvotes the second one, the first one will still win.

Now it could be that I’m wrong and that the first entry is actually funnier. But the way that the voting is set up means that the first one has a higher chance of being included in the final build even if I’m right and it’s less funny. Worse, it has a MUCH higher chance of being included in the final build than a significantly funnier entry that is submitted later this evening, less than 24 hours after the new buildr week has stared.

In summary – I’m not suffering from the present system. That doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be improved. And the way that “random” submissions are presented to voter needs to be changed more urgently than the issue of rollover time.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!