Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Music B&T's rant on quote-unquote "Emo"

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Overall, this is a rant about words that become overused thanks to the internet (and really, that happens to every word over time so it’s somewhat of a pointless discussion) but I just felt like stirring up some talk over it.

I hate the word “Emo”. (Yes, the irony of my clbum is not lost on me.)

Frankly, it’s a label that is too ambiguous to define easily. Everyone has their own ideas about what is and isn’t emo in fashion, music, and behavior. Whenever a band comes up in some musical discussion, someone will call it “emo” if it’s anything resembling rock, and then some fan of the band will step in and defend it and vehemently insist it isn’t emo. Whenever someone is displaying moderate amounts of negativity, someone will say “stop being emo”.

Making fun of “emo” on the internet has become almost too easy to spot. If someone says “i’m going to go listen to linkin park now”, I think “that guy’s trying too hard” every time. Never does it cross my mind that he actually likes Linkin Park.

No band in their right mind would ever admit that they are emo. My Chemical Romance once claimed “emo is ****ing bull****”. The problem is that ”emo” has become a catch-all word for everything that is wrong with music. If it’s wrong and you don’t like it and it sounds vaguely like alternative rock, it must be emo. But depressing themes in music are far from uncommon; hell, there’s plenty of it in hip-hop singles (So Sick by Ne-Yo, Heartless by Kanye West). So any alt-rock band that has any number of songs that have negative ideas has to have thick skin because someone will always spout off about how emo is bad and how he’s so much better than emo kids.

Moreover, ”emo” has become a catch-all word for what’s wrong with people and teenagers in general. Guy going through a rough patch after losing his girlfriend? He’s probably being emo right now then. I see my friends insist that their anger right now is not “emo” but it’s justified because of such and such. Russia even attempted to pbum legislation to ban “emo”.

So what’s a good alternative to saying “emo”? “Scene” is a better depiction of the “emo” fashion and music; it has the added advantage of inherently noting that a lot of kids are just bandwagoning with the current cool fashion/music trends. And if you want to say “man, my friend’s a whiny **** right now” or “wow, this song has way too much needless screaming about stupid ****”, go ahead. But “emo” is an oversimplifying, ambiguous label that doesn’t have a good universal definition. Just say a few more words to get your point across.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Labeling anything is just a judgemental stereotype to describe something we otherwise have no idea how to fathom.

I wear chains and spikes and black, but I’m nothing close to depressed. I wear it because I’m a metalhead and I like standing out. If people think it looks stupid, that’s their right to do so.

I know people who wear tight clothing but hardly even know what the word emo is supposed to mean.

The only people who call themselves “emo” are the ones trying to “fit-in” with a group of outcasts, which in and of itself is oxymoronic. It’s like Hot Topic: you don’t go buy individuality off of a trendy subculture shop rack; neither do you become an individual by labeling yourself as part of a group.

I am my own person, I have my own beliefs, and if someone wants to label me something, then so be it. I don’t live my life the way I do to be ‘mis-understood’ or ‘stereotyped’ or ‘labeled.’

NotJoePesci

Avatar: 6966 Sat Feb 21 00:54:31 -0500 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 14 Troll

Best ethnic friend a guy could have! Also Im not racist. -Raepdog

The problem is that emo was a good thing, and there are still true emo bands that are amazing. The word has just been attached to a gay style and genre of music in recent years.

Examples (some of these are debatable, but it’s fairly accurate for the most part):

Rites Of Spring

Embrace

Moss Icon

Maximillian Colby

Neil Perry

Saetia

Joshua Fit For Battle

Orchid

A Fine Boat, That Coffin!

Circle Takes The Square

I’ve gone on about this before in an older thread, but I’m too lazy to dig it up.

EDIT here’s a video:

NotJoePesci edited this message on 02/27/2009 6:03PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!