Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Ban Me Notifications on banner and character select pane

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

ALSO A male reproductive organSUCKING ****WAD

I propose the following notification changes/additions:

Banner (All of these would be placed to the left of the character’s name, same as the new tubmail notification currently):

– Add an icon link for deliveries, tubmails, kyoubai, and domination

– The deliveries icon (Log in to see images! would work well) would obviously link to deliveries if you have them, or be greyed out if you have none to collect.

– The tubmail icon would simply be permanently there, but grey out if there are no unread messages.

– The kyoubai icon (a miniature bidsquid, maybe) would link to your bids. Highlighted when you are outbid, greyed out if you are still winning all of your bids.

– Domination (no idea what the best icon would be as I don’t actually play dom, but people might like this) could notify you when you’ve lost the lead or been screwed or something I don’t know/care

Char select pane:

All the same notifications, but in another column to the right of the character to which they pertain. Clicking a link here would switch to said character, then take the actions outlined above.

DOPE-HARDCORE-0 edited this message on 02/12/2009 1:34PM

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Have I told you that you’re awesome today? <no_homo>

Signed, I like these ideas.

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

The problem is I always directly tubmail my ideas to ET, and while he is very receptive and responsive, the ideas fade as his TM fills up, his staff gets on to more important other stuff, and I forget what I’ve subbed. So, I just will make these thoughts public record and see what happens.

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

This-is-at-the-bottom-of-page-1-and-needs-bumped

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

You do realize that the current tubmail notification icon only appears after you visit your character page, right? And not when you get new tubmail?

It’s no doubt designed that way as a performance consideration. To have to poll tubmail every time the forum header is loaded would put quite the demand on the server, let alone having to hit all those other things you talk about.

However, a potential way around this would be to modify the same table which holds the remaining forum visits to also include flags for all these things, and update those flags using triggers on the appropriate other tables. Not sure how much of a hit that would be, but my guess is it would be within tolerable limits. Then the header code wouldn’t have to hit any additional tables.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Sounds more like a good thing to code for greasemonkey, especially for the deliveries

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Aldo_Anything Posted:

Sounds more like a good thing to code for greasemonkey, especially for the deliveries

greasemonkey script to do this would also hit the server, as it requires loading pages.

Jarwain

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

this is a really good idea…

very,very.very good idea..

but how to impliment it…...

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

Jarwain Posted:

this is a really good idea…

very,very.very good idea..

but how to impliment it…...

query once and get an array returned, parse the data and use as needed via jscript

E: Also, save some bandwidth and maybe consider stripping them from flamebate header requests

E2: Alternately, offset it some by charging BP for it, at the account level. This was how I originally pitched it to ET, as a microtransaction.

DOPE-HARDCORE-0 edited this message on 02/13/2009 4:28PM

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

Bump for ET

DOPE-HARDCOR-
E-0

[Team Shortbus]

Level 37 Troll

this could be an alternative to having newsfeed about every kyoubai happening

AntiRules187

Avatar: 79421 Tue May 26 22:06:20 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

It's actually an honor to be pranked, it means someone spent real money on you. Sir.

Acid Flux Posted:

Signed, I like these ideas.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!