Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature forumbuildr CSS colorschemes

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

I think it would be great if you could build a CSS file with keywords in it that could be replaced for different color schemes.

Often times one scheme has a great layout but horrible colors, and sometimes I want to provide multiple color options so people can choose between them.

The idea would be that when you submit a style, you can insert some text like ”<color1>” ”<color2>” or some other variable in your CSS code, and then define these variables either in a separate file or in some text boxes. Then you could name your style and colors.

Styles would act the way they currently do – upvoted or downvoted accordingly – and underneath the style and slightly indented would be the different color options for people to vote on.

New color schemes could be submitted if, for instance, the logo changes and the original color scheme doesn’t really work wit h the logo.

Example:

STYLE 1
     - Blue   (78)
     - Tan    (12)
     - Green  (-3)
   STYLE 2
     - Red     (61)
     - Purple  ( 3)
     - Vanilla (-4)
   STYLE 3

If style 3 got the most votes, it only has 1 color so it would win (no schemes).

If style 1 got the most votes, whichvever one of its three color schemes has the most votes would be the official winner.

If style 2 got the most votes, even though one of the color schemes in style 1 (Blue with 78) was voted higher, the highest voted color scheme in group 2 (Red with 61) would win.

I think users other than the scheme author could be allowed to submit a color scheme for a particular style. You could give players like 25 flezz for the winning color scheme and the remaining portion of the style flezz bonus would go to the layout designer. Of course, the author initially submitting the style should be allowed to add as many color schemes as he wants before the style goes live, so a user couldn’t jack away one of his intended style options. Perhaps a style should be limited to a certain amount of color schemes at any given moment as well.

Other suggestions for forumbuildr styles:

Give players a small hexidecimal color picker to choose the colors they want. I’m annoyed by the various attempts at styles that are submitted where the player uses #hotpink or something as a color and then my browser can’t even display it so it looks like the default color scheme. (Or at the very least link them to a website like The VisiBone Webmaster’s Color Lab).

I think it would also be helpful to give more of the different table cells id and clbum names, as I am having to do some pretty funky stuff in CSS to modify them more independently of each other – I don’t know if this is intended, but since it’s doable in CSS I’m taking a shot at it.

PS – are you guys looking for any more team members/help?

Corion edited this message on 03/04/2008 11:01PM

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

Spot on, i love this suggestion.

Also as the OP said PLEASE add more of the id and clbum names I’ve seen changes to the things that are not in the default layout and I’ve been trying to guess the names but failing. So yeah, great suggestion and let’s hope they notice it and implement it.

Oh and i tried using a DOM inspector but it didn’t work out so good.

Echuu edited this message on 03/06/2008 8:28AM

inks

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Do you guys know if there’s a limit on the length of the stylesheet submitted?

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

I agree… I’ve seen so many awesome styles, with not so awesome color choices.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!