Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Interface How we plan to improve ForumBuildr!

funkytowel

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Evil Trout Posted:

We actually already calculate the ratios for all players to help us catch cheating. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me to show them to the public. My first feeling was that it’s a violation of privacy, but then again it doesn’t say what you voted for, only how you vote on average.

Maybe it would be good for the community to show those stats?

Or would it lead to a lot of evil fighting and discrimination Log in to see images!

It might lead to fights but heated fights leads to pranks and that means more Log in to see images! funkytowel edited this message on 03/11/2008 9:59PM

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

Velveteen Posted:

unfortunately that wont help in the logo fight

True, but I say for the logos they just put a time stamp on each entry – there’s few enough that it would be easy to sift through and spot which was first, also it would work as a deterrent.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

handofg0d Posted:

True, but I say for the logos they just put a time stamp on each entry – there’s few enough that it would be easy to sift through and spot which was first, also it would work as a deterrent.

Unless the same author resubmitted one with better transparency or “fixed” in some way. Then the new, better one would get downvoted. :0/

aSh-gangSTA--

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

comment redacted
aSh-gangSTA-685 edited this message on 12/05/2010 3:34PM

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

How about this? Each user would be given a random nickname using our nickname generator. So you could see if the same user submitted each one, and yet it would still be anonymous.

P.S. The date is a cool idea I think.

maddsurgeon

Level 21 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

Evil Trout Posted:

How about this? Each user would be given a random nickname using our nickname generator. So you could see if the same user submitted each one, and yet it would still be anonymous.

Sounds like a great solution.

Stupid Magpie

Level 17 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Evil Trout Posted:

Not so anonymous if you can see which nickname you’ve ended up with, and tell the rest of the klan.

Would be pretty bad if applied to all submissions rather than just logos.

aSh-gangSTA--

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

comment redacted
aSh-gangSTA-685 edited this message on 12/05/2010 3:45PM

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

Stupid Magpie Posted:

Not so anonymous if you can see which nickname you’ve ended up with, and tell the rest of the klan.

Would be pretty bad if applied to all submissions rather than just logos.

A Klan member could just as easily tell his clan his submissions.

Stupid Magpie

Level 17 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Corion Posted:

A Klan member could just as easily tell his clan his submissions.

Which is more of an issue now that there are so many fewer submissions (rather than it being difficult to find a specific submission in amongst hundreds of Enemies).

Having the random nick show up as different for everyone sounds pretty good. Log in to see images!

I really like the 1, 2, 2a, 3 idea, too.

Ronald Jerum

[Wootz]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

I think one big thing is that early submissions get upvoted disproportionately, not because they’re necessarily good, but because they’re not necessarily bad. People might realize they like later submissions more, but the damage is already done. I think we should have voting disabled until a certain day, maybe Friday, upon which submissions would be closed off and people could vote. Either that, or people should be allowed to change their votes (though I can see potential for abuse there).

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

Ronald Jerum Posted:

I think one big thing is that early submissions get upvoted disproportionately, not because they’re necessarily good, but because they’re not necessarily bad. People might realize they like later submissions more, but the damage is already done. I think we should have voting disabled until a certain day, maybe Friday, upon which submissions would be closed off and people could vote. Either that, or people should be allowed to change their votes (though I can see potential for abuse there).

That’s one reason why I recommended the two-stage voting.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

handofg0d Posted:

Random Nick sounds good to me.

@Stupid Magpie – true but the same goes true for any indicator that we could come up with. A simple solution (that is, simple in theory, not in programming)

Have the Random Nickname show up differently for everyone. That is to say, if I look at a list of submissions it will be:

Fart_Mage_69

iLIKEtoEAT****

NiXoN_WuZ_FrAmEd

Fart_Mage_69

BillyTheKnife

but when you look at it, it might look like this:

BarryManilowFan12

ronpaul_ronpaul

Furry_Fan_Xx

BarryManilowFan12

2_HOT_2_B_14

This way you can spot who re-submitted without being able to identify it across the board for every user.

(Note – I think this is what EvilTrout meant anyway)

I like those nicknames. They’ll go in the pile Log in to see images!

Funcdizzi

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 20 Camwhore

Master of Sex and Voodoo

Evil Trout Posted:

We actually already calculate the ratios for all players to help us catch cheating. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me to show them to the public. My first feeling was that it’s a violation of privacy, but then again it doesn’t say what you voted for, only how you vote on average.

Maybe it would be good for the community to show those stats?

Or would it lead to a lot of evil fighting and discrimination Log in to see images!

I say go for it. E-drama is in the spirit of the game, and you still need to link something to alignment on our characters.

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

Funcdizzi Posted:

you still need to link something to alignment on our characters

It’s going to happen in episode 2. And I don’t think that forumbuildr or any multiplayer-related things should really effect alignment, except maybe pranks – but it would be difficult to decide whether it was a nice or a naughty prank.

male reproductive organ Diesel

[Short Bus Express]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Seeing several of my submissions get down voted to hell this week made me give thought to this entire voting process and it’s obvious klan brute force strategies. I have an idea, but I am unsure how difficult it would be to implement into forumbuildr. It works loosely like this.

Each Klan member can still vote on forumbuildr submissions, at the end of the week the server tallies up all the votes for that specific klan and by the highest percentage of winning votes bumigns the klans up vote to whichever forum component gets it. Each Klan would get one up vote per forum component. Likewise they would get one down vote. People that are not members of Klans, vote like usual.

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

I guess if we all pbumed and upvoted at least as much as we downvoted the problem might heal itself

you and I, judging by our vote ratios, are part of the problem, eh?

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

Velveteen Posted:

I guess if we all pbumed and upvoted at least as much as we downvoted the problem might heal itself

There’s a lot more stupid crap out there than there is good/decent stuff. A low ratio is FINE. Log in to see images!

Maybe if people submitted better stuff your ratios would be better.Log in to see images!

Lactose the -
Intolerant

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

I don’t know if Klan-based organized voting is still a problem, but while randomly browsing profiles, I discovered a member of a prominent Klan who had ‘Vote for XXXXXXXX Forum’ in their profile. The forum appeared to be doing quite well. This person had a long list of friends who probably check their profile from time to time to compare trophies and e-Peen.

Perhaps this is why certain forums seem to succeed and others fail. I suppose it’s next to impossible to monitor secret ways in which Klans communicate which forums they want everyone to vote for, but this apparently is one of them that’s directly related to the ForumWarz site.

Maybe a search on each user’s profile for a submitted forum would turn up more campaigning like this?

SuperPsyche

[RPG Codex]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Instead of -5 and gone would it be possible for submissions to get nuked at the rollover, and then -5 and lower go away? Might help protect submissions some from the folks who downvote everything that isn’t theirs.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!