Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Interface How we plan to improve ForumBuildr!

Funcdizzi

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 20 Camwhore

Master of Sex and Voodoo

Yeah, I had to cherry-pick a bit more than I’d like too. Some good ideas got left on the shelf.

One idea for the “alignment” stat, which currently seems to be useless… tie it to the voting pattern. Not in the sense of downvote=evil, but in that a vote against the consensus=evil.

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

comment redacted
aSh-gangSTA-685 edited this message on 12/05/2010 3:28PM

Hooper_X

[PoE]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Wow, clearly I should have been paying attention to the forums, because I just got blindsided with the submission limit.

I’M AGAINST IT WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO FORUMWARS HANGING UP MY ACCOUNT AND LEAVING FOREVER!!!!

Seriously, though, the handful of male reproductive organbags exploiting things for MAXIMUM SCOOPZ are going to find other ways to exploit things, and I like being able to throw a ton of ****ing submissions into the grinder – sometimes it takes submitting one or two ****ty ones to come up with a golden one. As such, I am in favor of the Master P school of ForumBuildr submissions: NO LIMIT TIL THE DAY I DIE.

Is there too much crap for people to vote through at any given time? Yeah, probably, but who’s actually planning on sitting down and voting on every single item? (Hint: NOT ME.)

I cannot believe I am actually developing an opinion on this. Goddamnit, internet.

Skyreal

Level 24 Camwhore

“The Lady is a Tramp”

Evil Trout Posted:

Everyone has a ForumBuildr score now. You can see it on your profile, and as you browse forumbuildr. Everyone is starting with the same score, 0. We will update it weekly, based on how you did.

Any chance of wheedling more specifics from you about what affects the score? Log in to see images!

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

There needs to be a way to show which items were submitted by the same user without giving away the user’s name.

If I see something wrong/iffy in one of my submissions and fix it and resubmit, it sometimes gets downvoted because people think I was stealing from the original submitter (but they don’t know it was me).

Normally, the advice would be to double-check submissions before pressing the bumon, but sometimes things like the logo or style will change and completely throw off the other.

Example: If a logo was submitted with transparency and black text, and the winning style becomes one with a dark background, the logo now looks horrible with the style and could start to get downvoted, when all it needed was a slight touchup. This could happen with a logo changing and making the style look bad as well (i.e. if the matte edges of a transparency show up on the background of the style. It’s quite possible that near the end of the voting, THE BEST LOGO EVER is submitted and gets quickly upvoted to the top of the list – but looks HORRIBLE with the currently winning style – and no new style is uploaded or upvoted high enough to change the top winner. I guess in this case you could personally step in and rect[al]ify the s[h]ituation, but how would you do that fairly?

One solution is to upload multiple versions of a logo/style, but this takes up submission points. I could see why an edit bumon could cause problems – people could make a really awesome logo or style that gets uploaded and is then changed at the last minute to something the voters might not like.

Once again I submit that the option of including multiple color schemes with a logo/style would be nice – at least the option of providing a light/dark version of a style which, if selected, would choose the appropriate light/dark version of the winning logo or vice/versa to go with it.

EDIT: Also, maybe on the problem of submitting a fixed version it should be possible to remove an entry you’ve submitted.

Corion edited this message on 03/10/2008 2:12AM

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

I’m guessing the auto-removal at -5 has been tweaked as well, one of my submissions is now a -6. Log in to see images!

aSh-gangSTA--

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

comment redacted
aSh-gangSTA-685 edited this message on 12/05/2010 3:29PM

Corion

Level 32 Emo Kid

I lost at domination?! How could this happen to me?

handofg0d Posted:

The obvious solution would be put a background image up behind the logos, so we can see which ones are transparent and which ones are not and make styles appropriately.

I posted a suggestion like this earlier. But sometimes transparencies aren’t enough – if your logo has black text, even with (or especially with) transparencies, it is going to look horrible on a dark background. Since you don’t know ahead of time which logo is going to win, it’s not really possible to make a style for a specific logo.

handofg0d Posted:

I think allowing users to modify a submission (specifically a logo/style) is a bad idea because say you get your good logo upvoted to the point where there’s no contest, and at the last minute “update” it with like, a goatse or something horrible, and that ends up winning.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. That’s why I suggested the option of posting multiple color schemes or something.

Corion edited this message on 03/10/2008 12:03PM

SuperPsyche

[RPG Codex]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

There should be a ‘Vote by Time of Submission’ option, so you can easily see who the copycats are, or conversely theres a easier way than voting through every entry to see if someone had a similar idea.

“Crazy” idea: Lower the number of submissions allowed and give bonus submissions for lots of positive votes or lots and lots of pbum votes, each negative vote costs a submission.

Lactose the -
Intolerant

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

A suggestion for monitoring the Klan-based mbum downvoting and upvoting… could the Forumbuildr Reports have a few voting statistics? Maybe something like:

1) Accepted Submissions by Klan (including non-Klan aligned submitters) – a good way to see if one Klan dominates… not foolproof, as one might expect to see the largest Klans with the most accepted submissions, but if one klan is only 50% bigger than another klan, but has triple the accepted submissions, you know something’s up. Also, if non-aligned submitters are getting hosed, this would show it.

2) Upvote-to-downvote ratio per member by Klan (including non-Klan aligned players)... bigger is better here, I’d think, within reason. I would rather see vote inflation than see everyone crippled by people out to ruin someone else’s fun, though a decent balance is better still.

One possibile use for this ratio is to warn players who exceed a certain threshhold… maybe 3-to-1? You get a warning or the system prevents you from further voting if you downvote three times as often as upvoting (or vice versa.) You’d need to balance out the voting to be able to downvote further. Sure, a crappy submission is still plain old ****, but now there’s the pbum voting option for the average-but-not-awful submissions. You can pbum judgement on a submission that you think is pbumable but barely so, and save downvotes for the real ****ty posts. I think that once you consider the pbum option, the crap-to-creative ratio is pretty even.

I’m sure there are more reports that might help to reveal potential cheating. It’s also nice to be able to see the statistics. The Forumbuildr, IMNSHO, is the best part of the game. Like all similar community-based forums, it can be easily abused by bumhats. I for one will continue to contribute even if there’s no scoops awarded or if everyone downvotes all of my submissions. It’s just plain fun. Hopefully, careful balancing will make it even more fun.

Lactose the Intolerant edited this message on 03/10/2008 11:19PM

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

Lactose the Intolerant Posted:

2) Upvote-to-downvote ratio per member by Klan (including non-Klan aligned players)... bigger is better here, I’d think, within reason. I would rather see vote inflation than see everyone crippled by people out to ruin someone else’s fun, though a decent balance is better still.

We actually already calculate the ratios for all players to help us catch cheating. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me to show them to the public. My first feeling was that it’s a violation of privacy, but then again it doesn’t say what you voted for, only how you vote on average.

Maybe it would be good for the community to show those stats?

Or would it lead to a lot of evil fighting and discrimination Log in to see images!

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

it would probably stop people from downsie voting all competition, anyway

(even if i am occasionally guilty of such a thing)

Virtual_Eyes

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 13 Camwhore

Whiny, yet arrogant.

Several members of the Sisterhood of the Quivering Rose have approached me and asked about klanwide voting. I usually tell them to stop thinking of “creative ways to get more scoops” and refer them to the ForumWarz philosphy, suggesting that they take the advice. However, a more concrete policy on what klans can and cannot do would be nice. I can definitely forsee klans in the near future saying they “didn’t know it was cheating,” and if you posted a more open policy they’d have nothing to stand on.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

I think if you make how a user votes on a submission less anonymous you have overall better results. Then again you run a site based on trolling some users would gladly shower in the fountain of **** they create.

Hooper_X

[PoE]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Eh. If you reward klans for mbum-pwning forums, why not reward them for mbum-pwning forumbuildr? It’s only fair!

aSh-gangSTA--

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

comment redacted
aSh-gangSTA-685 edited this message on 12/05/2010 3:29PM

maddsurgeon

Level 21 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

I admit I’m a n00b, and don’t really know anything about voting abuse, but I’m wary of any system that limits downvotes. There are a lot of players, and a lot of submissions, and frankly there are a lot of bad ideas. If something is typed wrong so that the random words don’t come up correctly, or is a repeat of something that’s already been suggested, or is just plain not funny, people are going to want to vote it down. Seriously, how many jokes about yaoi do we need? If the designers are keeping track of voting records, they can contact people privately if they suspect them of abuse.

Just a thought on copycats: is it possible that some repeats are not attempts to cheat but the result of people just not looking to see what’s been submitted? For example, I saw the skeleton avatar w/the name “Starving Artist” more than once, but it’s so obvious an idea that two people could have come up with it independently. Maybe a search option, or a notification if someone has already submitted the same name?

aSh-gangSTA--

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

comment redacted
aSh-gangSTA-685 edited this message on 12/05/2010 3:31PM

Pickled male reproductive organ-
bum

[Board of Directors]

Level 10 Camwhore

AHAHA HEADSETS

unfortunately that wont help in the logo fight

Lactose the -
Intolerant

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Evil Trout Posted:

We actually already calculate the ratios for all players to help us catch cheating. It honestly hadn’t occurred to me to show them to the public. My first feeling was that it’s a violation of privacy, but then again it doesn’t say what you voted for, only how you vote on average.

Maybe it would be good for the community to show those stats?

Or would it lead to a lot of evil fighting and discrimination Log in to see images!

Actually, I was thinking of reporting one result per Klan based on the average of all their members, and graphing the Klans side by side, so you could see each Klan’s average voting ratio… I’m a bit uncertain on reporting each individual user’s voting patterns. I don’t know how that would be useful for cutting down on organized vote fraud.

A per-user ratio which is publicly viewable could be useful for peer pressure, of course, as in starting riots. “Hey, there’s the troll who downvotes everything! Let’s all get him!” Log in to see images! Lactose the Intolerant edited this message on 03/11/2008 9:28PM

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!