Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Shock Philosophical Discussions, on ForumWarz?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Why the hell not?

Not like we have anything better to do.

I’ll get us started and see where it goes:

If pleasure is defined as “stimulation of which kind is enjoyable or pleasant to the receiver,” and pain is “unpleasant stimulation generally bumociated with injury,” then by very definition, do masochists never feel pain?

Discuss.

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

Shii Posted:

Why the hell not?

If pleasure is defined as “stimulation of which kind is enjoyable or pleasant to the receiver,” and pain is “unpleasant stimulation generally bumociated with injury,” then by very definition, do masochists never feel pain?

Discuss.

It depends on if you are talking about the public notion of masochism or those who follow the teachings of Leopold Von Sascher-Masoch.

MiaHo

Avatar: 120300 Tue Feb 03 16:52:59 -0500 2009

Level 33 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

I’m thinking that they feel pain in the same way as everyone else, but interpret it diffrently because of their sexual preference.

CroMagnon

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

Shii Posted:

Why the hell not?

Discuss.

Im guessing there is a tollerance barrier. There has to be a limit to how much pain they can enjoy, right?

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

I believe the same sensation can be both pleasure and pain simultaneously.

Xylon

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

The public notion of Masochism is that of someone who derives sexual pleasure from pain. However the correct description is that a masochist is someone who draws psycho-sexual gratification from pain induced by others. The flagellation of the body eases the tension by allowing the release of endorphins after the initial trauma.

So no, they do feel pain.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I’m more debating the perceptual value of the word “pain.” If they’re enjoying something that by definition is unpleasant, then it can no longer be called pain.

Therefore, isn’t “masochism” by default an invalid description?

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Technically, those who define Masochism aren’t going to be masochists themselves, so they feel pain as pain, thus define it as “unpleasurable”. Masochists, however, feel pain as pleasure, thus, the definition isn’t wrong, it’s the weird people that screw up the definition that are “wrong”, so to say.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Hmm, that’s a good point.

WoweeZowee

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

OrsonScottCard Posted:

I believe the same sensation can be both pleasure and pain simultaneously.

Xylon

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Shii Posted:

I’m more debating the perceptual value of the word “pain.” If they’re enjoying something that by definition is unpleasant, then it can no longer be called pain.

Therefore, isn’t “masochism” by default an invalid description?

I enjoy a good romp with a lady in leather where physical discipline is involved, pain is pain regardless of your perception. It is a hard wired response to negative sensation, it is the release of endorphins afterward which is pleasurable to masochists.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I understand this; I’m quite a masochist myself. I just find it an interesting concept to toss around. Perception and psychology fascinate me.

Xylon

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Something else you may want to look into Shii is that Masochism is not deriving pleasure from pain, Masochism is the application of the writings of Leopold Von Sascher-Masoch into your life. It is subjecting yourself to pain, humiliation, domination, and bondage for the purpose of exploring your sexual limits.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!