Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Reserve Price is stupid

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Just saying. If you want your auction to meet a minimum price, put your minimum price as your minimum bid.

Reserve Price is a stupid idea since people will use it to greatly overvalue a usually bad item. I think people who are running for the Best Bidder leaderboard already noticed that. It’s frustrating to lose an auction because some newbie suddenly thought 10,000 is not enough for a +1 Offense .moar file which you can get 3 copies on a single Denture run.

I also think we should remove the limits on minimum bids. You want to greatly overvalue your item? Fine! But don’t punish people wanting to run for the leaderboard because you think an item is 10 times more valuable than it usually is.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Fran Posted:

Reserve Price is a stupid idea since people will use it to greatly overvalue a usually bad item. I think people who are running for the Best Bidder leaderboard already noticed that.

Really? I didn’t notice it

but i agree with this

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

From time to time it sucks, yes. In my experience rather high selling files had it enabled, like a ****.MILF that I got for about 1.000.000 flezz.

It’s not really replaceable with a high minimum bid since you get more people bidding and better prices when you start real low, so let’S keep it

Fran

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Aldo_Anything Posted:

From time to time it sucks, yes. In my experience rather high selling files had it enabled, like a ****.MILF that I got for about 1.000.000 flezz.

It’s not really replaceable with a high minimum bid since you get more people bidding and better prices when you start real low, so let’S keep it

I don’t mind seeing reserve prices on highend items, the problem is with delusional people who thinks they will get a 1000% profit.

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

Aldo_Anything Posted:

more people yes, but better prices?

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

Fran Posted:

I don’t mind seeing reserve prices on highend items, the problem is with delusional people who thinks they will get a 1000% profit.

hey its their right

cruise control

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

I’m pretty sure reserve price is buggy. I set a value of 5m  for a Pink Floyd, but there was a bid over that, and the auction still didn’t go through. Perhaps I made a mistake when setting the reserve, but I don’t think I did.

Axon

Level 35 Emo Kid

Tickle Me Emo

Reserves ARE stupid, but with limits on buy-it-now/minbids, they serve their purpose. Also, the higher someone sets a reserve, the higher the deposit they’ll lose when it doesn’t sell (unless it sells, which if it’s way overpriced, it probably won’t).

Perhaps the best bet is a compromise, do what eBay does & say whether there is a reserve or not, and if it has been met or not.

SIG-ENABLING-
MOCK-CONGLER

Avatar: 50390 Tue May 26 17:55:44 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAH

disagree; would be better if it showed whether or not there IS a reserve price on an item,

so you can make an informed decision about buying it right away or not.

guest42

[Bargain Drug Wareh-
ouse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

Axon Posted:

Perhaps the best bet is a compromise, do what eBay does & say whether there is a reserve or not, and if it has been met or not.

I’d rather not see reserves disappear (there’s a smaller deposit for a reserve than there is for the same minimum bid), but I think displaying that there is a reserve, and if it has been met, would actually be very nice, as I’ll have to send out fewer tubmails letting people know that all my drug auctions have reserves.

Additionally, I’ve lost auctions that I would totally have paid more for, had I known that I needed to pay more to meet a reserve (as opposed to delusional auctions with unrealistic reserves).

Inertia

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

guest42 Posted:

as I’ll have to send out fewer tubmails letting people know that all my drug auctions have reserves.

Amazing, you do this? wow you care too much

cruise control

also displaying what the reserve is is kinda pointless? what’s the difference between this and just using the minimum price? And if anyone bids under the reserve price that he’s not really serious anyway so why not make it so that he can’t bid under the reserve price? Of course, this is the minimum bid.

Deposit cost is easily adjustable. And deposit cost will probably need to be reversed anyway (I think, at least).

Inertia edited this message on 01/31/2009 10:19AM

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Consumer ignorance about the price of auctions is the seller’s benefit…

Keep it as-is, imo.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Just don’t buy items that are overpriced Log in to see images!

Also it would be nice to see if the reserve price has been met.

MC Banhacker

Avatar: 56461 Tue Dec 23 18:27:44 -0500 2008

[Survivor - ForumWa-
rz Editing Booth
]

Level 68 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Inertia Posted:

also displaying what the reserve is is kinda pointless? what’s the difference between this and just using the minimum price? And if anyone bids under the reserve price that he’s not really serious anyway so why not make it so that he can’t bid under the reserve price? .

I bid 180K on an item, in an effort to keep my bid over later bidders. There were no bids at the time, and the minimum bid was about 32K. I was willing to go to 200K but thought I’d see how things went first.

And I find out no one bought it, but I didn’t get it. What was the reserve price? I have no idea. It could’ve been 190 or 200, in which case, if I had known about it beforehand, I would’ve bid it.

So yes. Either get rid of reserve prices, or show them. Otherwise we’re just wasting our time.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

The problem is the deposit.

If you make the minimum starting bid high, you pay far, far more than if you just start it low with a reserve

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

For low-end moar files, I set the reserve price as the selling price at the ppwn shop.

The reason I do this, is because having the bid being 5,000, every increment must be another 5,000, as opposed to 300.

A possible solution would be to display the reserve price. I’ve gotten burned a few times for bidding “under” the reserve price, even though I would’ve been willing to bid the acceptable one.

Fran

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

Yeah, showing the reserve price would be a great help.

MC Banhacker

Avatar: 56461 Tue Dec 23 18:27:44 -0500 2008

[Survivor - ForumWa-
rz Editing Booth
]

Level 68 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

Shii Posted:

The problem is the deposit.

If you make the minimum starting bid high, you pay far, far more than if you just start it low with a reserve

So what? You get your deposit back if it sells. If it doesn’t sell because you priced it too high, I have no sympathy for you.

Hiku

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I just lost a bid because of reserve price. As a newbie, I was not aware of such. Displaying it would truly be helpful. : | I was happy about winning for nothing.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

Starting bid 10,000,000 = non-refundable deposit 600,000

Reserve price 10,000,000 = non-refundable deposit 86,441

And reserve prices aren’t displayed, because that’s would defeat the reserve price’s whole function. I never liked reserved prices, on the real ebay or here, but they’re hard to avoid using in the current system.

Catt although edited this message on 08/04/2010 8:01AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!